What New Hearing Aids Would You Like To Try?

@cvkemp: Exactly! Exactly, Chuck! Bang on! Well said! (That having been said, INCOMING!!!)

2 Likes

Doesn’t this site review hearing aids?
I don’t get the hostility to this thread. Most on here complain of audi’s that could care less. Here is one that is trying to inform the general public of aids that many may not be aware of, and seemingly try to be helpful. It’s almost like many just like this forum to feel superior while trashing others for their efforts to assist the hearing loss community. This site reviews all of the major aids, so why slam this guy and not this site?

3 Likes

What I see is that people are being honest about their experiences, I don’t see anything wrong with that. Like I said hearing aids are an extremely personal thing. As an retired IT Professional and trained electronics technician I do very little reading reviews and more researching technical data. The odds that anyone’s review will even come close to my experience is slim to none.

2 Likes

Your interpretation is wrong. I’m asking what the criteria is to rate hearing aids because everyone hears differently with them. So if he says for instance that phonak paradise is the best hearing aid how does he explain why some people hate them. It’s very difficult to review hearing aids since every single loss is different. And an audiologist should know that better than anyone. And most people on this forum tell you what hearing aid they like the best or hear the best with. They rarely say it’s the best hearing aid for everyone. I think people more than anything get frustrated when someone asks, what’s the best hearing aid for me. The answer is the one you like the best

2 Likes

Yo don’t seem to get it do you if you find lets say one hundred people with the same hearing loss you will get one hundred different opinions of what the aids sounds like. Now some will agree on options some will not. Hearing aids should not be rated like earbuds or headphones. And to be honest I am personally glad they don’t look like them. Earbuds are ugly to me.

1 Like

The only thing that gets people upset about this thread is that an audiologist thinks he can review hearing aids and he of all people should know that when it comes to aids one size doesn’t fit all. I don’t see where anyone was rude.

3 Likes

I don’t think I claimed anyone was rude. I used the word hostile. To slam someone trying to help seems odd. Most people don’t know squat about aids, so others opinions may help them narrow a choice down for a trial. I also don’t understand how specifications or researching tech data helps one find aids that work for an individual any more than the ones that feel reviews are helpful. Wouldn’t those specifications also be individual to each users hearing loss? Wouldn’t someone that sold hundreds or thousands of aids possibly have useful insight? I never have an issue with to much info, so keep those reviews coming and thanks for your efforts Dr

2 Likes

When I was new to hearing aids, I was mislead by the experts.i believe the audiologist was more interested in the sale than the correct fit.
I have been lucky since that terrible experience to be accepted by the Veterans Administration, even there I have seen audiologist that recommended what was convenient for them instead of what the really needed.
But since 2007 I have had two audiologist that have truly listened to their patients and treated them as such and not customers. But me being me, I took it on myself to get the self education I needed to be able to talk to my audiologists and to explain my needs and likes.
I know from this forum that so many here see audiologist as car salesman. Unfortunately that is a fact too much of the time.
Also, we trust the experience of hearing loss individuals more than a lot of audiologists.

1 Like

I stand corrected on the rude remark. I don’t see where anyone was hostile. It’s funny. My audiologist is always interested in hearing what someone thinks when they are trying new aids . Because he knows he can’t tell what someone is experiencing. So I stand by what I say. If you’re reviewing aids what are you basing your reviews on. I assume most major manufacturers make quality aids. But if you want to watch hearing aid reviews from someone you know nothing about, on you tube, be my guest

This is true. That’s why I prefer user reviews over audi reviews, but still feel that this dr is trying to be helpful, and doesn’t seem to be recommending any one particular aid.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t many good reviews for a particular devise show that many are pleased with the results from that devise? I am not claiming that reviews are the end all to making an aid decision, far from it, but that they can be helpful to narrow down the choices available.

I am not saying he isn’t. I guess for me my VA audiologist will tell me anywhere from 6 months down to about 6 weeks that I am due new aids. He knows I prefer Oticon hearing aids. I have worn them for the last 12 years. Yes I have tried others but keep coming back to the sound I truly prefer. I value how well I hear with out Bluetooth streaming over and above it. Yes Bluetooth is important to me but I don’t stream all the time but I do hear all the time.

1 Like

And that’s exactly it. Cv and I have similar losses. He loves his oticon and I hated them when I trialed them. So how does a third party interpret that information. Oticon is a great hearing aid, for some. Or let’s take it a step further. Those that love their aids will tend to respond more often than those that don’t like their aids and think they made a mistake. Now what,? I take reviews of aids with a grain of salt. And people, especially new people, should understand that a good review doesn’t guarantee a good experience

1 Like

I truly believe that given say 2 months I could get use to different hearing aids, now that you have an audiologists that understands my hearing loss and likes and dislikes

Sorry but some of you guys are looking at this the wrong way, user reviews for consumer items are everywhere and always have been, these are essential for the public to know whats ok and and what’s rubbish, it’s not just how they sound to different people, user friendly and helpful features are also in the mix, just because one HA sounds terrible to one and good to another is totally Irrelevant, with a user review one can at least make a informed decision, as has been mentioned so many people know absolutely nothing about HAs, so they need good old fashioned reviews to help them choose which to trial, otherwise they have to use the recommendations from the audiologist clinic, which can be biased towards any one particular brand.
So one way to do your research is to read/watch user reviews.
You’ll find them right here on hearingtracker by the “professionals” and by us users, I think the OP is doing the right thing, asking for what brand/model to review should get you asking for the next model your interested in.

4 Likes

User reviews are relevant for a lot of products because the consumers all use the same product for the same need and expect the same results. Hearing aids and hearing loss doesn’t work that way… but I feel like I’m banging my head against the wall. I will continue to buy aids based on how well they work for me and not based on someone else’s evaluation. That doesn’t help me. But to each his own

1 Like

Yeah I get what your saying, but a user review is helpful, one shouldn’t buy one over another just because they read a good review of it, lots of different reviews from different people on different platforms saying the same thing is “helpful” that’s all.

1 Like

Cut him a break. Might turn out to be even better than the stuff Dr. Cliff puts out.

2 Likes

I read technical data, before reviews, and I never take a audiologist review seriously, when it is online. So I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
And by the way I very much value the important from the experienced forum members.

1 Like

I’d be interested in a review of the Signia AX aids. These are pretty new and not mentioned here or elsewhere as much as Costco aids or Oticon or Phonak. I trialed and bought the Signia Ax, so it would be interesting to hear other people’[s perception of the aids and maybe learn more for the next time I need to upgrade (in many years!)
I’m musician so my choice was mainly driven by how well the Signia musician program functioned ( it took some tweaking but is much better than what old aids offered.) My speech recognition is good, as is hearing in noise when wearing these or my earlier aids. So, yes, different people have different criteria for what matters. Like others, connectivity and bells and whistles aren’t real deal makers or breakers for me. Quality of sound and dependability and and a long rechargeable battery life are far more important to me. So…to the OP, cover it all as best you can, please!

1 Like