Using Phonak Marvel with Apple CarPlay

Okay Haggis
On my iPhone 8 IOS 13 I have set call audio routing to use Bluetooth Headset, on the navigation app I have set to play sound via Bluetooth as Bluetooth phone call, when I am connected to CarPlay if I make or receive a call the sound comes to my hearing aids as it should, if I open navigation app out of the car voice directions come to my aids as I would expect, but as soon as I am connected to CarPlay I don’t get sound to my aids or car speakers, although I think it should, I only get sound through car speakers when I turn on AUX as it should.
But if I use wireless ear pods ( I haven’t got any they are my sons) it all works as I expect it to with my aids.
I always thought that CarPlay was just an extension of my phone.
I hope that makes sense.
Dell

Perfect sense, thank you. So I am as perplexed as you. Apparently, the iPhone can distinguish between AirPods and BT HAs, and it “deprecates” the HA’s inasmuch as it prefers going to the car bluetooth when connected and having to choose between BT devices. But why, I don’t know. Some idiosyncratic assumptions in the programming. Maybe CYA safety based.

That what I can’t understand as car Bluetooth switched off and CarPlay Bluetooth not connected as it uses WiFi once connected,I have checked this in settings.
When I start car CarPlay Bluetooth connects then it connects to WiFi and it drops Bluetooth

What’s the source of the car’s “wifi?” Can you log into it with your phone or laptop?

Not sure about that maybe if I had the login credentials but I haven’t all I can see is in WiFi settings it has connected to CarPlay.

I see online that CarPlay does support Wifi, but if I’m understanding correctly, CarPlay is a feature on your car’s radio/GPS. I think the only way to sort this out is pouring over a manual specific to the device or calling tech support.

It still boils down to the decisions the software makes in how it routes its audio. Since from what you said earlier that you’ve proven it has the ability to go either way – to the car or to your AirPods – there is no technical principle (like BT vs. WiFi) behind why it is or isn’t connecting to your HA’s. It’s just some kind of arbitrary decision deep in the software somewhere and Apple support isn’t going to know anything about that. Most people won’t say they don’t know, though, so you should get some interesting, outlandish myth from them about why it happens. Like the “Bluetooth is very conflicted. It’s Blue.” (This is the kind of response I’ve received from Apple support several times over the years.)

It’s an aftermarket CarPlay and I have connected manufacturer but he hasn’t got back to me yet.

Already connected Apple and that was like banging my head against a wall ( it’s nice when you stop)

1 Like

Yeah, don’t hold your breath for that aftermarket manufacturer, either. They have probably private-branded a contract-manufacturer’s generic product which was developed by a subcontractor and programmed by programmers who left it undocumented and are doubtless inaccessible.

Cynical? Me?

I know the manufacturer he will get back to me but weather the outcome will be positive or not remains to be seen.
And at the end of the day it’s not the end of the world but it would be nice to sort it out.
I have also connected phonak as I understand there is a software update for my marvels don’t know if it will help but worth a try, but I have had enough of my audiologist and I don’t want him in my house again, do you know if it’s possible to update them myself?
Dell

I hear you. I love to figure out how these systems work and really need to know why something doesn’t work. I’m just often disappointed. :wink:

Yes, there is a firmware update for the Marvels. It affects BT, but hard to say if it would affect your situation, but it might. It also lets you use the new MyPhonak app with more features and self-defined programs with limited program modifications.

Re: self update: do you do any HA programming currently? What I gather is you need a “Noahlink” wireless interface unit (available here), and “Target” software for the PC (not sure where you get it). Then you’d need to get the firmware file itself, though I think I saw it floating around somewhere on this forum.

I wouldn’t try it if you haven’t done any HA programming before and if you just want the update. But if you wanted to get into HA programming, go for it. There was a “DIY” thread I keep hearing about but I haven’t looked for/at it. It should help you get started.

Thanks for that I know I need a Noahlink I will have to do a bit of googling.

One can ask for the software here DIY - Self Programming, How to Find Fitting Software Target will update itself and the firmware on the aids and any accessories.

And this link will take you to the latest DIY posts.
https://forum.hearingtracker.com/c/hearing-aid-self-fitting-and-adjusting

1 Like

Many thanks Dusty
I will have a read when I have a few hours to spare but before I do anything I will have to look for a Noahlink as I am in UK so the link haggis posted will probably cost to much to ship but will contact them to see.
Dell

Since you have an iPhone (I also have the 8), why don’t you use the Apple Maps app on your phone to navigate? Comes right into my HAs (I have Resound Preza from Costco). Apple Maps is much more elegant than any other nav devices I’ve used. She tells you what you need to know and then shuts up until you need to make a change in lane or route, etc.

Hi Emjay_flowers
Thanks for your input it is only when I am connected to CarPlay I don’t get sound to my aids being an old man nothing work’s like it used to including my eyes so I need the map on the bigger screen to see it.

Hi Dusty
Thanks for PM I haven’t worked out how to do that yet when I was young we had only just got electricity but still learning

1 Like

To you and Dells: When I used Apple Maps on my iPhone to navigate through a particularly congested area of Houston the directions were so good I had no need to see a map. I learned I could trust her. She gave me enough notice when I needed to get to a particular lane, and when she knew something I didn’t (that a Texans game was on my route home) she re-rerouted me from the outset. Usually I Google a map to get a good sense of where I’m going and what might be alternate routes, then I can just drive and let my Apple Annie tell my hearing aids exactly how to get there. Once, I ignored her and needed to see where she was taking me, so I just pulled over briefly to get a good look. I LOVE that app, can you tell?

Just had an email from CarPlay manufacturer looking into it for me he can’t understand why I can use phone calls via CarPlay and get sound to my aids but not navigation.
Dell