User Review of Whisper Hearing Aids

If you are happy with the price and the aids, then it sounds like a bargain.

I just watched Cliff Olson’s video on “the best hearing aids of 2022,” and the Whisper is conspicuously absent. He hasn’t reviewed it, either.

I was interested to hear him talk about the latest Starkey AI hearing aid with “edge mode,” including a demo. It’s another hearing aid that claims to be very effective in suppressing background noise, and “edge mode” causes voices to be delineated better.

After using the Whisper for a while, I’ve come to some conclusions:

1. It’s a pain to carry the Brain around in some situations
  2. Not being able to use rechargeable batteries is a PITA. The problem is that with the Whispers, there’s no indication of the charge level of the batteries in the hearing aids, which tend to last 2-3 days, so you never really know when there’s going to be a low battery indication.

I was willing to put up with these disadvantages because the Whispers seemed significantly better at dealing with voices in high-background-noise situations than the Oticons (1, S1, and More 1), but if the Starkeys can rival them, I might change my mind.

How can I do this? There was some problem with the contract I signed, and so I have to sign another one. I presumably could change my mind at this point. No money has changed hands.

Any thoughts about this, @Volusiano and others?

I think as long as you’re sure that the contract you signed is not valid or voided and you’re NOT on the hook for that contract, I don’t see why you shouldn’t want to try out the Starkey next, then make a decision afterward. You can always still sign a contract with Whisper later, if you decide that you still prefer the Whisper over the Starkey after trialing out the Starkey. If I were you, I’d take the opportunity of doing another trial with Starkey to make sure that whatever you decide to go with, you’re happy with your decision.

1 Like

At the regular discounted price ($139/month) rather than the Brain Trust price you’re paying now. I was told that I got Brain Trust price only because my trial started while the program was still in effect.

To me, that’s just sales pressure tactic and I wouldn’t succumb to that. If it were me and I can get the Brain Trust price now, I don’t see why I can’t get it a month later, after I will have had the chance to trial the Starkey. If Whisper still genuinely wants me as a customer and are not afraid of a little competition from Starkey, they should still honor the Brain Trust price if I come back in a month. After all, I’ve invested time and effort to try out their product already, and I even signed a contract in earnest, even though there was an issue with that contract that made it invalid. If Whisper doesn’t want my business a month later, then I’m not sure if I want Whisper’s business, either.

But then that’s just me and I’m not @happymach. So I’m just speaking for myself hypothetically here.

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out!

You’ve got a device that clearly works well for you, you’ve got it at a low price and you’ve got hardware upgrades built in because you’re an early adopter. The alternative is an unknown device with buzzwords.

A couple things I would note here:

1. I do also watch a lot of Cliff Olson’s material, but “the best hearing aids of 2022” is literally a list of the most recent HAs offered by each of the big 6 manufacturers. So that doesn’t really help or do anything, comparatively.

2. Starkey’s “edge mode” isn’t new - it already exists in their Livio AI line (at least). I haven’t heard anything groundbreaking about it then, so sure, I would expect there to be some improvements made from one model to the next, but I’m not sure that leap is any more significant than any other brand from mainstream manufacturers so far. Keep in mind my intent it not at all to talk down on the feature one way or another. I don’t doubt there are plenty of people who love it and think it’s great, but since these features can tend to be subjective, I also think you’ll find people who don’t see it as a revelation.

If you can get Whisper to hold and honor their discounted contract price while you try out the Starkeys, then great, but I personally might not want to lose out on the better pricing on the hopes that Starkeys new aids are that groundbreaking. For whatever it’s worth, the CES Innovation Award went to Signia’s AX feature this year (vs. the Oticon More last year). I currently have demo Signias, and do like them quite a bit, but I wouldn’t claim they’re any sort of quantum leap over the Paradise or Mores, so simply don’t expect Starkeys to be either.

I agree with Mr. Vol that I don’t see why Whisper wouldn’t offer to honor their pricing for you even a month later. In fact, I would think they want to let you try out other big 6 HAs in hopes you go back to them. What better real customer testimony could they get if their product stands out then?

Umm, Whisper is an unknown device with buzzwords “Brain trust?”
Why not call it 'guaranteed orgasm" and be done with it?

But all HA companies do this. And that’s the problem. Whisper claims to be “different”. So does Sinead O’connor. It’s part of the brand.

so, yeah, given that you have issues with carrying the Brain and some other things; and taking into account confirmation bias–we ALL have to take this into account–I think trialing the Starkeys is a good idea. If Whisper starts acting like a used car salesman and demanding you sign now or miss out on this one time only opportunity, it’s an additional indication to be wary. Especially given their odd rental model.

Trialing the Starkeys will also provide a good cooling off period.

Whisper has no track record, and the technology is new-ish. In itself, that’s not a reason to pass. For me, it would be reason to be more cautious in my buying behavior.

1 Like

It seems to be a pun on the political term brain trust.

1 Like

yeah, I’m exaggerating to make a point. But it is an economical meme. In two words it conveys what a new start up would most wish to convey, especially “trust”.

1 Like

FWIW, I agree with this reasoning. I also believe that - if one is having second thoughts at all - one should listen to “The Little Voice” within.

There’s little to be lost in comparison to what might be gained. But - like Mr V - I will say that this is only my opinion.

1 Like

Two years from now: “I wonder if those Livio AI’s would have done me better?”

WH

1 Like

Exactly, @WhiteHatExactly!

Well, folks, I’ve determined that the $543 difference between the cash and the payment plan price is a finance charge (amounting to 18%).

I’ve inquired and I found out that I can pay the up front cost, which saves $15/month over 3 years ($82/month instead of $97). I’d rather do that than be beholden to the jackals at Synchrony Bank.

2 Likes

Now can you put it on a credit card with payback into your pocket?

WH

I’m hoping that is the case!

Did you go directly to Whisper or did you resolve this with your audiologist’s office?

I guess one way to look at it is that Whisper charges you the Brain Trust price of $97/month then turns around and sold it to Synchrony for $82/month at an 18% interest rate to service the payments for them. It’s a good thing if Synchrony lets you pay that up front so you basically save another 18% worth of interest charges further off the Brain Trust price. This way, too, you’re not subject to a heavy penalty (if any exists in the contract) in case you miss a payment by mistake, unless they let you set up autopay. Yeah, if I had the money, I’d pay up front as well for the best possible price and not worry about ever missing a payment for some reason.

I initially inquired of Whisper, but it was confirmed through my audiologist’s office and I’ll be paying through them.