Toshiba Smart TV and Phonak TV Connector

Old TV defunct, new Toshiba smart TV just purchased. Couldn’t get TV connector to work - just a buzz in the hearing aids. Toshiba techie said I have a choice now: EITHER listen through hearing aids OR just the normal TV volume, not both. Can’t watch programmes with my wife, therefore ! She has normal hearing.
Techie said to get a non-smart TV instead (9 days still to run on 14-day return period). He said non-smart TVs should do both. I can continue to use my Virgin set-top box for extras. Anybody had this problem ? Jim

You dont mention what aids or tv device/adapter you are using.

Are you using just a tv with internal speakers or do you have an external surround sound or speaker system? Lots of variables here.

Not knowing what you have, will try to give some general advice…

TV with external speakers- will make zero difference if tv is a smart tv or not. You are just splitting the audio output to the tv connector while at the same time feeding your speakers. You can listen to the tv thru the aids while the speakers play the sound for your wife to listen to. This works great.

If you are trying to connect a tv connector plus use the tv internal speakers, i am not sure depends on your tv model. but you can hook the tv connector to your audio output (optical or analog) and then in the menu setting on tv tell it to turn ON the tv speakers.

finally, some newer smart tv’s have bluetooth built in and you can directly stream to aids.

1 Like

If you are running Optical Audio for your sound system, you can run a splitter, like the image below.
I have own 5.1 audio amplifier run off the TV’s optical audio through the splitter, with the other split going into my Roger Mic On In Cradle (optical input).

2 Likes

Sorry ! I have phonak audeo paradise hearing aids and a phonak TV connector. No special sound system - just the TV’s own speakers. Since posting I’ve also asked Currys - they say to get a bluetooth enabled TV instead but says my aids need to have bluetooth also. Is that right ?

I have Oticon More1 aids with a Samsung smart TV and the Oticon TV adapter that connects to the optical audio in the back of the TV. It doesn’t effect the TV speakers at all. I adjust the sound to my aids and my wife adjust the speakers to her requirements.

ok, have same aids and connector. I think you are being led astray because your sales or tech person doesn’t really know.

so how are you connecting tv connector to the tv? via the optical or 3.5mm audio (analog) jack or ??

You need to connect the tv connector by one of these. Then be sure to pair the tv connector to your aids (you have to press the pair button in back).

once they have paired, play something on the tv. dont worry about sound coming out of speakers, just want to confirm you have the audio going to the aids. if not, go into the MyPhonak app on your phone and see if it shows the current program as TV CONNECTOR or not. If it doesn’t then your problem is your aids are not paired yet.

Once you get audio going into the aids. Then just go into the menu on the tv, find the audio settings, and there should be a TV Speaker option for ON/OFF. Turn it on. This should now play audio both ways.

1 Like

also, what color is the LED on the tv connector. If its not green then you are not fully connected… (i’d have to look at manual, but if its flashing or red i think it means you havent paired the aids to it yet)

Aha ! I hope my Phonak paradise aids will do the same. Thanks.

Haven’t yet got sound through the connector, though I’m already paired with it, from my defunct TV days. I get a buzzing sound now ! The little black box has a cable that splits into 2 jacks (red and white) which go into the same-coloured holes in the back of the new TV; same arrangement as the old TV. Ancient phone doesn’t have apps.

PS colour goes green on the box.

ok, sounds like the tv is not set to put the audio out to the rca jacks (white/red plugs)

Go into the tv menu and find the audio sub menu and then see if you can find an Audio Out setting. change it and see what happens.

the tv doesnt send the audio out through those jacks by default, you have to tell it to send the audio that way.

this is just step 1, getting audio out to go to tv connect to your aids.
once you get this basic part going, then you can mess with getting the tv internal speakers turned on at the same time…

1 Like

I found something called ‘lineout’ but nothing happened when I tried this. NB - suggestions have been made that a bluetooth enablement on the TV would produce a result. Not this TV ! In my recent journey I found that ‘Bluetooth is enabled’ !

PS - on ‘lineout’ I got no sound on connector OR TV.

what options are in the “lineout”?

Do you have an optical connection on the back of the tv or a headphone (3.5mm)jack? And do you have those cables for the tv connector. Maybe try optical out instead.

and to kind of answer your other comment… there is no need to buy a different tv with bluetooth if you have the tv connector. in fact the tv connector uses a different signal than the tv’s bluetooth - sounds better, less power drain on the aids, no lag.

your problem is something simple. either the tv isnt set properly to send the audio to the connection you are using or you’re not connected right.

are you hearing audio from the tv speakers at the same time you are just getting static in the aids?

I have an older smart TV and Resound connector. I had to change some Dolby or DTS setting in the TV to make it work properly. Now get sound to my HA’s and wife listens to the speakers.

1 Like

ahh, yes, i forgot the TV Connector does have to be in a certain audio format. Great suggestion.
Make some changes if you have those for DTS/Dolby etc and see if it acts differently.

1 Like

Maybe a bit off topic but “smart” TVs sometimes need to get an OS update and then sometimes can do things they couldn’t do. We update our phone and computer and may neglect updates for the TV.

1 Like

Yes - when I try ‘lineout’ as the sound setting. Nothing on the aids on other settings.

1 Like