Toshiba Smart TV and Phonak TV Connector

Sorry - what’s an OS update ? Dinosaur here !

Do you still have the box the TV connector came in? It should have come with an optical cable. Switch to that, plug it into the optical audio out instead, see if that fixes it.

2 Likes

I’m running into the same type problem. We bought a camper that only has a headphone jack in the back. When I connect to that with my TV connector I can hear the tv thru my aids but it mutes the tv so my wife can’t hear. The red and white plugs on the back are for input only, the output is thru headset.
I was at Best Buy looking at a new tv yesterday and the sales guy/tech said that the new tv’s didn;t have the option of tv or external sound-- not both. But I am still searching for a solution myself. Good luck to you.

@maggieandjimpepin , @Venturer : Maybe post what make and model your tv’s are so we can look up any other information about them. Or the make and model of tv’s you’re looking at. Sales people can sometimes provide incorrect information.

Yes, this is a problem.

He doesn’t know what he’s talking about.

1 Like

usually the headphone jack when used will disconnect the tv speakers by default. you need the Audio Output from the tv, if it has one - optical or rca jacks and then set the tv speakers to ON at the same time.

I was surprised to find that the red and white jacks didn’t work when plugged into the appropriate sockets on the new TV ! Alas, my kit 18 months ago didn’t have my present cable, which I swapped at Boots for the 3 supplied ! I’ll try Boots tomorrow for the right cable. Thanks.

Yeah - I’ve had that from Curry’s and a Toshiba techie !

It’s a Toshiba 32" Smart TV.

Its got to be something simple. Does the TV have an optical out? If so, I would try that.
Note- Not sure if Boots will have the right cable, the tv connector cable (for rca and 3.5mm) is kind of unique as it plugs into the same port as optical on the tv connector device.

Ok I have been researching some. My tv in the camper is a 40in. Logix t, it is a flat screen but not “smart”. I really cant see any output on the back except the headphone one. Thanks yall! I’ll check back in later. My DW just said we need to get going–she is hungry!!!

Is that Logik or Logiix or Logix? The whole proper model name should be on a sticker somewhere or possibly in a menu item somewhere in the settings.

@maggieandjimpepin : The whole proper model name should be on a sticker somewhere or possibly in a menu item somewhere in the settings.

Any plug-ins should have some indication of whether it’s input or output. Or implied output like a headphone jack. Finding a manual showing all the plug-ins should also give that information. You supplying full model names would help others help you.

Also, the presence or not of buttons on the top of the TVC would be helpful to know.

If the tv does not have an audio output option then you may not be able to connect a TV Connector device. You could use the headphone jack but that usually disables the tv internal speakers.

I don’t want to insult anyone’s television but if it doesn’t have a variety of connection possibilities it probably isn’t all that “smart”

1 Like

lol “Smart” comes from it having an operating system like Android attached to a big monitor. You can get the same thing with a “dumb” tv and a streaming box. But indeed, you have to have the connection possibilities on the tv.
Still waiting to hear more about what model tv’s these couple people have.

Sorry - Toshiba model is 32WK306308.

No buttons on the TV at all. I guess you’re stuffed if you lose the remote or it becomes faulty ! I don’t know about Logik etc - were you talking to someone else ? There’s no indicator on my two-prong jack-plug connector. It’s all I have at present but I’m hoping to get extra possibles from Boots today.

TV has a socket marked SPDIF. I think that’s optical out ? I’ll ask Boots if they have one.

Why ask Boots when you can go to eBay?

Boots will likely charge £10 for the cable.

Here’s the link Altho don’t think the TV Connector has this option.

The older Phonak TV Link II does.

Thanks for the suggestions. I’m lucky to have a Boots Hearing techie at my local Boots store who has a drawer-full of spare connector wires of all types. She’s happy to lend me the full selection to try out and keep the one that works, then return the rest along with my out-of-date one ! How’s that for customer service ?