That sinking feeling. Don't lose your hearing aids!

I lost my hearing aid pouch. £2000 in value. Well I didn’t lose them as my new coat unbeknown to me had two pockets on each side, and I searched the empty one. I resolved never to keep them in a pocket ever again. It’s a really horrible feeling to think you’ve lost them. Also, I was thinking that if someone did find them there was nothing in the pouch to identify me. Now I have a slip of paper tucked in there with my house number, postcode and phone number. I was tempted to write the words … reward if found… too! Take care folks…

5 Likes

I store mine in in my ears, or in the charger (at night).
Only time I use a pouch is if I’m going swimming.

10 Likes

Have you got hearing aid insurance? Just in case you do end up losing them. Thank goodness you managed to find them!

1 Like

I lost my Phonaks on a ferry in Scotland… nightmare material. We still had 4 weeks of our holiday to go before returning home to Aus. Thank heavens I had mine insured so I could make a claim to get new ones.

1 Like

If you bring a pair of found hearing aids into a clinic, they can probably track down the owner by calling the manufacturer. Tell everyone you know. The more people know, the greater chance that someone will carry your lost hearing aids into a clinic.

7 Likes

Well hopefully only a good sameritan finds the pouch should you lose it.

1 Like

Oticon More Apps - Companion - can find your hearing aids on the Google map. The map in the Apps will be identify the location of the HA’s.

I have similar app for my Resound aids and they are showing my hearing aids are at acompletely different location, 3 streets up from me! Why is that?

2 Likes

Not sure why. In my case, when I click on the HA icon, it show my house. You can try when you are in another location. It might be due to the Apps or the map. Play around with it and try to find the location or trace the path that you have walked. At least it near the phone Apps.

2 Likes

Glad you have not lost them, but why the need to “store” them, except as @oxothuk says, either in your ears, or in the charger at night ? :thinking:

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. My use of them is a bit sporadic, hence the reason for carrying the case. I am planning to change my habits so that it won’t happen again! I’d never considered insuring them, or knew it was possible even… interesting

1 Like

@user199: Try looking at it this way - HAs are prosthetic devices. I don’t think they sell cases for prosthetic feet … ya wears them all the time because yer OEMs are shot .

5 Likes

Smart move with note and reward mention. Mine go in a pouch at the gym where I use a sauna before and after working out. there are small lockers for valuables. when I enter, in go my hearing aids in a pouch kept for convenience in my gym bag, wallet, keys and phone. I collect them all when finished. otherwise it’s just my ears or the overnight drier.

3 Likes

Worst case I’ve heard here on the forum was someone’s dog eating their hearing aids!

Question: is insurance for hearing aids available in Canada?

DaveL
Toronto

I lost a pair and was able to claim the loss on my home insurance.
I keep the new ones in a small pouch with an Apple AirTag sewn into it.
Very useful indeed!

3 Likes

And if you’re an Android user, Tile trackers work similarly. But like others, my HAs are either in my ears or in the charger. I find that one of the benefits of rechargeables is that you are forced into the excellent habit of storing them safely and in the same place every night. When I wore replaceable battery models, I would leave them wherever. I realized that wasn’t a good idea when I found my cat playing with them one night.

1 Like

Me too. I find they work much better in my ears. In addition, I have no concern of losing my ears.

3 Likes

Some interesting comments. Thanks everyone. I think I need to develop some new habits…

2 Likes

Maybe check your app and make sure you have all permissions allowed.
Might also check your phone and make sure you have your locations allowed.
And lastly, i also would suggest trying to file a homeowners insurance claim if you have it.
If they are less than 2-3 years old they may still be insured under the mfg supplied insurance.

Most manufacturers offer an option to extend your L&D prior to it ending for various priceiness.
Home insurance policies may cover it, to various degrees of priciness depending on the plan.

1 Like