Roger On In - failed firmware update, bricked device?

Think my Roger On iN is now bricked. Have submitted a ticket to Phonak’s support but has anyone unbricked from this?

MyRogerMic app advised there was a firmware update so with the latest version of Roger Updater (from Phonak’s website) I started the process. Failed at 68% but the Updater app suggested the firmware had updated.

Device now in a boot loop - new large sized Roger launch ‘screen’, battery icon then a series of numbers above a large X inside a solid circle with 1000 below, which I assume is an error code.

Tried re flashing to same effect. Updater recognised the device as an On not On In. I will be very unhappy if the two licences in there are lost…

Replying to my own post - the device was purchased for me by my employers so no sweat on that front. I have KS10 HAs.

Yeah this is a bummer, i can’t offer any real solution’s other then to try and reset,from the manual “Reset your Roger microphone by simultaneously pressing the
Function button and the Connect button for 10 seconds”
But this very situation is why i don’t recommend to update firmware on any devices unless its absolutely necessary, if your device is working as it should then there’s no need to update, mostly its just “bug fixes” etc anyway.
Well as you say, at least you won’t need to pay, just pop into your local audiologist clinic and get them to deal with phonak who I’m sure will sort it out.

1 Like

And I’m back in the game. Sent to Phonak last Thursday, returned to me yesterday. Same case, new internals, updated firmware and ready to pair with my HAs. I had 2 licenses in the bricked device, but the return was ready to go.

Lesson learnt…but excellent service from Phonak.

2 Likes

That’s great news, glad its been sorted.

1 Like

Playing with settings this morning, I found options to activate Range Extension and Multibeam 2.0 in my Roger On iN (v1) which now has Phonak’s latest firmware (installed by them).

I don’t recall if those were in the mix before…

I realised you have now sorted it but it’s so weird that even the serial number changed when the firmware bricked.

Your actual serial number starts with 22 where’s the other one starts when 13 which is 2013 in Phonak eyes. The On wasn’t even out then.

Very weird but glad it’s sorted.

Has anyone tested if the 2.0 firmware update makes the v1 a V2 ?
What does the V2 do that the V1 does not do … maybe I can test if I knew what they are .

I don’t know if you can just upgrade the V1 to V2, but the key difference between the two is the “Headset mode” functions in the newer version as described here.

I know it doesn’t really answer your question but I found this -

All the latest firmware updates.

2 Likes

I need to find someone to do a zoom call with and see if the v1 updated to v2 will use the ON mic. to transfer my voice to the computer.
Or someone else need to try it …

It needs to be tested

@GrayGhost

Are you not able to do the firmware update anyway. No harm in getting a new update and reporting back yourself?!

Read further on as well………

I have several that I have updated … not sure how to test.
I have never done Zoom :frowning:

I will connect it to my Phone and see if it picks up my voice .

I think there’s additional technology in the v2 to do the voice mic stuff but I’d be super keen to see what other folks can discern.

As an Apple devices user, this feels like rather familiar territory - a modest upgrade with a nice feature rather than a major innovation breakthrough.

@garethjwells

I don’t understand this headset feature as I can use any Roger Mic on my laptop for Teams/Zooms so unsure what this ‘fancy feature’ can add?

Wondering what the firmware bump does for the Roger Pen 1.1. Tweaks to performance/battery life etc? Impressive that Phonak supports a device that’s several years old. I’m used to feeling lucky to have Android updates for 2 years…lol

@garethjwells [quote=“garethjwells, post:6, topic:77847”]
Playing with settings this morning, I found options to activate Range Extension and Multibeam 2.0 in my Roger On iN (v1) which now has Phonak’s latest firmware (installed by them).
[/quote]
Where did you find this? Looking at my updated v1 with 2.0.47502 firmware and can’t find it.

@Zebras I t"believe" that in version 1 you are talking into the laptop mic while in v2 your voice is picked up by the Roger microphone. I believe I read that but don’t have a reference to quote.

1 Like