Review: Unitron/Phonak? TV connector

Since I had trouble finding much information about TV Connector details, I thought I’d write a review of the one I purchased.

Short version – it does what it’s supposed to do and I’m happy with it. Pairing with HAs is quick and easy, and once paired, the TV Connector transmits whenever an input audio signal is present and the HAs are in range. Very slick and convenient, and can connect to multiple sets of HAs at the same time.

Unitron vs Phonak, and volume controls - I have the Unitron TV Connector without volume controls on top. It appears to be identical to the Phonak version without volume controls. I say that because I compared an Ebay photo of the underside of the Phonak version, to my own. The Ebay listing claimed it was exclusively for Phonak Direct models, but it was identical to my Unitron version. The Unitron web site shows the version with volume controls being compatible with my Moxi Alls. My guess is that either version with or without volume controls, works with Moxi Alls, Phonak Direct, and Phonak Marvel. The default volume of my HAs in TV streaming mode was too high. If I had the TV Connector version with volume controls, adjustment would have been easier. Instead I had to changed the gain of the TV Connector settings in the HAs.

Input – the TV connector has a single audio input which accepts either a standard 3.5mm male analog stereo connector, or an included short adapter patch cord to mate with a standard Toslink optical cable.

Power- standard Micro USB. The TV connector came with a cube power supply and cord, or one can power it with the cord alone from any suitable USB port.

Wrinkles

1. For whatever reason, the analog output of my 4 yr old Samsung TV has some signal on it even when the TV is off (standby). Therefore, when the TV Connector was powered by its cube and using the analog input, the TV connector was always live and transmitting. The optical output of my TV didn’t have this problem, so the TV connector would stop transmitting instantly once the TV was turned off. However, when using the optical input, the TV Connector starts flashing red whenever it sees a Dolby Digital or DTS signal, and doesn’t transmit. Since there’s no practical way to change audio formats on my setup, it was back to analog. The solution was to power the TV Connector from one of the (switched) USB outputs on the TV. That way the unit powers off when the TV is off, solving the previous problem. Other folks’ setups will be different of course.

2. When in TV streaming mode, the buttons on the HAs changes to a balance function. Right side button increases TV sound and decreases HA mic level. Left does the opposite. This means that when one is using the TV connector and normal speakers at the same time, there are now three elements to volume control. There’s the main volume (adjusted via the app or maybe by the buttons on the version of the TV Connector that has those), there’s the balance between the HA mic levels and the streamer input, (via the app or the HA buttons), and there’s the volume of the audio system speakers, which is in turn affected by the level of the audio input signal (which can vary greatly between sources). If you turn up the TV speakers, you get an increase in sound passing through open domes, plus an increase in output from the HAs. So, when my wife asks for more or less volume on the TV speakers, I sometimes have to adjust either the HA volume and/or balance as well. Additionally, if I use the HA balance buttons as a sort of easy workaround to increase TV volume, it makes it that much harder to hear anything my wife has to say, which is usually that she wants a speaker volume change. :slight_smile: This was all a bit confusing at first, but little issue once I got used to the foible. I also found that I had to adjust the delay in the TV speaker output to match what was coming in via the streamer, otherwise there was what most would call an echo.

3. Once my wife gets HAs, then whenever I’m watching TV and she isn’t, but she’s in range of the TV Connector, she’ll have to manually change programs on her HAs. Which, while a very small thing in the context of age-related PITAs, is different in that it’s the person not watching TV who gets the inconvenience. :thinking:

I’m considering Phonak Marvels for her, so I hope I’m right about the Unitron TV Connector being compatible with those. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know.

Wish list – HAs that can adjust to a specific saved volume level regardless of the level of the various streaming audio inputs.

D.

I have just replaced my Unitron Moxi Pro aids - now 5 years old - with Phonak Marvel M 90 rechargeables and the TV transmitter - the improvments in speech clarity in noisy backgrounds and in the car is impressive. TV sound quality is also superb and the bluetooth connects easily. Using the direct bluetooth connection with my mobile is also a great feature.

With my previous aids I had the Unitron uDirect 2 neck dongle, the uTV2 and the uMic (mainly used in the car so I could converse with my wife) and none of them are compatible with the Marvels. Whether the later uTV3 will connect I have no idea.

I bought a Avantree Priva 3 Dual Link low latency wireless transmitter to enable me to stream audio from my computer. Although it theoretically had the compatible bluetooth version it would not connect to my aids and I sent it back.

I am not optimistic there is yet an alternative sender to the Phonak one, which in the UK costs about £150. I didn’t pay separately for mine - it was bundled with the cost of the aids at £2,950.

Phonak dropped the ball on letting us have one side for TV volume and the other for room volume.

The connector drives me nuts if you walk in and out of the room as it randomly connects and disconnects. A remote on off with volume control on the unit would fix all my issues.

And I believe @Rand will find this answer useful: you can ask your fitter to change TV connector program to not connect automatically when it detects the gadget but on manual (there are two manual options, I chose the one without any sounds).

Then when you want to listen, you either click the button on HA to switch to that program, or for lazy of us, you grab the phone and select it from there.

I usually know when I want to watch TV and have phone near me (or HA button), however I’m also lazy to stand up and turn on/off TV connector, as I saw many people do as a solution. So I share mine :wink:

So basically, remote is there, just not for TV connector but your HAs.

The Phonak RemoteControl is something I am wanting to be able to toggle through programs which includes the TV Connector. I think it would be much handier than pulling out a phone.
https://www.phonakpro.com/com/en/products/wireless-accessories/remotecontrol/overview-phonak-remotecontrol.html

You can use HAs volume up down button, just long press and it switches between programs you have, including tv connector or roger or partner mic, depending what is currently active. That should work unless you want very discreet option or you can’t access HA (eg under some cap), or you hate clicking that button for any reason.

I mean, it works, I use that or phone.

Yes, I know.
Big hands little buttons.
And, I really don’t want to play with my phone all the time.

Yeah, I totally can understand both. During my trial for marvels, I had problem opening the battery door while the aid is on my head, it is/was so tough. I feel sorry for everyone with any dexterity problems of any sorts.

And those buttons also aren’t easiest to click, they’re too slippery and need non trivial pressure to catch a click IMO, and whole aid is slippery as well.

That’s why I mostly use phone for switching. Plus, it says what it is, I don’t have to count :joy:

I have found the the HA volume buttons only change the balance on the TV Connector which I turn gives you a slight increase in volume, but if you turn it down then you hear a lot less from TV and more from the outside world. I also find it very noisy when in quite parts of a show or music, a lot of noise and doesn’t matter if you use toslink or the audio connector. But my older Unitron TV connect and Udirect works perfectly, volume works as it should and there is no noise or static at all on it. It is perfect. Phonak really dropped the ball on the new TV Connector.

1 Like

I have just the opposite opinion of the TV Connector. To me, it is one of the few things Phonak got right. It does have some peculiarities that you have to get used to, but they are trivial com[pared to trying to get used to wearing aids.

1 Like

Agree with John, Phonak got the TV connector right! Also use it on computer. Will also probably work great on plane (if I ever start flying again)

Have you tried quite scenes on TV or music, or have you tried pausing the TV? I find it noisy and any noise, static or distortion drives me crazier. I use the word crazier because from what others say about their TV Connector I must already be crazy.:joy::slight_smile:

What’s your low frequency hearing like? People with very good lf hearing often complain of sounds the rest of us don’t hear. I think most of us think tv connect is pretty slick.

You can change volume for source, but not with HA buttons. You can do it in the app, or on the tv connector volume buttons themselves.

About static / noise when show is quiet, ask your fitter to reduce soft sounds to maximum. In both autosense streaming programs - music and speech.

I could hear people taking breath before speaking parts of the sentence, then reduced that and voila, all good. Considering that annoyance :joy:

1 Like

My low frequency hearing is good, but the high frequencies are really bad. 24 years of exposure to fighter jets does that to your hearing they tell me. No kidding !. Both ears are very similar but when above 2000 hz it drops pretty fast to 60dB. Maybe that explains it, but I would have sworn the noise was caused by high frequencies. My Audi did turn down the gain at 3 of the higher frequencies because I noticed it when reading in a quiet area.

I agree completely, this streamer is full of static. The Resound unit was much better, but the Resound aids were awful compared to the Paradise. I may contact Phonak support and see if they have any suggestions.

They sent my TV Connector in for maintenance and gave me a demo one that was just as bad. When mine came back they had given me a brand new one, but after hooking it up and checking it out, it was only slightly better. I happen to be trying a pair of Unitron’s which are basically the Phonak Marvel, and the TV Connector is so much better, it’s hard to believe that they are the same thing just different name. They work almost as well (95%) as my 4.5 year old uTV and uDirect 3 that I was using with my Unitron Moxi Fits. I still can’t believe the difference in performance form something that is supposed to be the exact same thing, even looks like the exact same thing right down to cheap fiber optics cable. If anyone can shed light on this please let me know !!

What’s the difference between this and bluetooth connection to a TV? How is the experience when watching TV with others who don’t have hearing aids?Using Bluetooth in the past gives a sense seclusion

This part depends how bt programs are tweaked, so your fittter should be able to help you with that.

Plus for bt media streaming, you have volume buttons on aid itself or you can use phone app, with both you can adjust how much environmental sounds should pass through.

Same is with tv connector, it has own program which can be adjusted as needed.

Main difference is in having program for each, so in case you use them in distinctively different situations, ability to tweak them with your fitter can be valuable.

Second one is that battery drain on HAs is roughly three times lower if you’re using tv connector as opposed to bt. For rechargeable battery, and zinc airs show similar behaviour, but can’t confirm the numbers exactly.

Thanks! I might give the TV connector a try. Also, with bluetooth it seems like you have to disconnect when your done watching TV otherwise if someone else starts using the TV it automatically connects when you’re not watching. It’s a pain to connect and disconnect to the TV.