Review: Unitron/Phonak? TV connector

Okay, I recently tried the Unitron rechargeable DX model(forget the name) and it was basically the same as the Phonak Marvel. The Unitron TV Connector was exactly the same as the ones I had for the Phonak Paradise, they looked identical in every way. But plug them in and the difference was night and day, while the Phonak was very noisy, the Unitron was very quiet. But as for the volume control it’s all screwed up like Phonak’s, the volume control actually controls the balance between TV and your Surroundings not the volume. What a hair brained idea if you ask me, the volume control should only control a volume and a balance control only controls balance, and I don’t care if it’s on my phone. How often do you change the balance versus changing the volume? My guess is volume gets changed a lot more, especially since each TV channel seems to be a slightly different volume, and let’s not forget how bloody loud commercials are. Give me a proper volume control on my hearing aid, not a balance control.

I just upgraded to Phonax P90-R and I am very happy with them so far, especially being able to blue tooth to my iPhone instead of trying to use Airpods! But I am very disappointed with the TV Connector! It keeps dropping in and out when I move around the room and the constant connect and reconnect beeping is very annoying. The worse part is when we are streaming a show and we pause it for a while, the blue tooth disconnects and when we start play it takes awhile to reconnect and so you miss some of the show conversation!! I previously had a Unitron uDirect 2 which was so far more superior. It was a toggle thing worn around the neck and I could walk into different rooms without it dropping out. Also a big plus was it had volume control and a stop/start button all at handy reach! Does anyone know if there is anyway we can keep using the uDirect or is there something wrong with my one!!

The TV Connector on the Phonaks has to be out in plain view and pretty close to centre for hearing. I tried 6 different places and the one that finally worked the best was on top of my left stereo speaker, it is off when watching TV so there won’t be any interference. It wasn’t centered as I sit to the right of the TV, but it couldn’t work on my right speaker as the short non-standard toslink connector would reach that far as it is only 3 ft long. I also suggest getting it set for manual activation as the auto connect will drive you crazy.

Thank you sstotz. I will try your suggestions and play around with it a bit more to see how it goes!! Fingers crossed!!