Resound quattro vs resound one

Hello,
differences between and new features…

And the best configuration for resound one - better speech comprehension with mask.

Anybody know?

i wore quattros for 2 years and now have the 1’s … I tried the m&rie and really didn’t see much difference in my ability to hear… if the quattros are much cheaper I’d go that way

1 Like

Ok. The resound one is equal one? New features, nothing? Ultra focus works?

ultra focus was just ok in original settings… to much background noise was allowed IMO

1 Like

On the YouTube video, maybe it’s just the audi ad-libbing his lines but he gets at least a couple of things wrong. He talks about the focusing ability of the ear canal when he means pinna and he mentions that the three microphones on the ReSound One give it an advantage over the Quattro to better understand in noisy situations, apparently not realizing that the M&RIE microphone on the receiver in the ear kicks out in noisy situations leaving the two behind the ear mics on each One HA body to deal with challenging noise (unless ReSound has changed the mic behavior since I read a whitepaper for the One back when it was issued). I think his dismissal of Costco aids as not really up-to-date ignores how soon some of the Costco aids are now following the original high-end issues of the model prototypes, e.g., the KS10’s so soon after the Paradise release - what was it, six months?! And the Jabras not too far off that, etc.

I think it’s rare for anybody to stay as up-to-date as a dedicated geek. :slight_smile:

1 Like

If you are using All Access Directionality in All Around, you are correct. If you are using M&RIE directionality in All Around, like I am, the in ears mics continue to work in noise.

Is there a reference at ReSound Pro or in ReSound courses at Audiology Online to that? My info might be almost a year old but I took the initial Audiology Online course offered by Dr. Laura Christensen, Chief Audiology Officer for ReSound on 9/8/2020. And here’s what she said back then, straight from her course transcript (along with speech-to-text typos like “marine” for “M&RIE” !!):

So when you think
about these hearing aids, there’s actually six microphones on, the hearing aid set. So if
you have a binomial fitting, there are six microphones. There’s the marine microphone
in the ear, and then there are the two microphones that you’re used to having that have
been there all the time. We’re using the M&RIE microphone for more quieter or less
noisy, just smaller amounts of noise. And then when noise gets you know higher 60, 70
> dB SPL of noise, then we switch into All Access Directionality. And we very gradually
> move that M&RIE response up to the microphones that are above the ears, and then
> we use the microphones above the ears to create the directional response. (emphasis added by me)

There is no mention in this presentation of the possibility of staying in “M&RIE directionality” mode with significant noise present.

If you’re a register-for-free (only pay if you want CEU credits and are a certified HCP), you can find the transcript PDF link at the following Audiology Online course link:

Introducing ReSound ONE: Hear Like No Other - AudiologyOnline

Skimming through the white paper stuff and other support materials on the ReSound Pro page for the One, I don’t see any mention of preserving M&RIE function in noisy situations, but maybe I’ve overlooked it since I only read words around the search term “noise.” ONE - ReSound Pro

There is a new upcoming Audiology Online presentation on September 14, 2021 The ReSound M&RIE Receiver: Best Practices | 36998 | Hearing Aids - Adults (audiologyonline.com). No handouts until the course goes live for the first time on 9/14 at 11 am CDT - so maybe the M&RIE settings you mention will be discussed in that course if they’re new fitting practices since 9/8/2020? That course will be presented by Julie Bridges, Senior Field Training Audiologist for ReSound.

3 Likes

But you again reference All Access Directionality. I agree with your statement when using All Access Directionality. I use M&RIE directionality in my All Around Program. I’ve been in a noisy Costco or cranked the music in my car, and the M&RIE mics continue to work. I’ve verified this by sticking my finger in my ears and causing the mics to create feedback. When the mics aren’t working I can’t cause that feedback.

There are several directionality modes that can be selected for each program. All Around defaults to All Access. Music default to Omnidirectional. Restaurant defaults to Autoscope. Ultra Focus defaults to, you guessed it, Ultra Focus. Outdoors defaults to M&RIE.

I chose to have my All Around program set up with M&RIE directionality, and even did back to back testing with one All Around with All Access and one with M&RIE. M&RIE works for me. As an unexpected benefit, music sounds better in All Around with M&RIE directionality. I have heard things in music that I haven’t heard in quite a while.

I think ReSound created confusion by using the term M&RIE to refer to both the receivers with the mic in the ear and to the directionality setting.

2 Likes

I guess I’ll have to give it a try myself if I go with something like the ReSound Ones in the future. That’s interesting in that I would think the default shift in All-Access Directionality to the 2 mics on each HA behind the ear is because the pinna is too broad in sound collection relative to the binaural beam forming possible if one just sticks with a microphone array behind the ears. Somewhere in the ReSound materials I’ve read they mention that typical postulated situation for HA SNR tuning is what you want to hear is ahead of you and the noise is postulated to be off to the side or behind you. So I think a big reason for the behind-the-ear binaural beam forming is they say that’s not always true; the noise may be more in front of you and you’re listening to a voice off to the side of you (maybe discussing what you’re looking at, etc.). And then in the extreme situation, you have Ultrafocus, where what you look at is what you get processed. Thanks for the feedback of your own experience! Very interesting! Hope that they discuss this sort of stuff in the 9/14/21 M&RIE Best Practices course.

3 Likes

my question was whether it’s worth changing the quattro for the one.

That wasn’t your original question. Deciding whether the Quattro or One is better is an individual decision. There are instances of both already in the forum.

As for differences between the two, we’ve tried to document that for you. And with regard to settings to better understand masked talkers I have no idea.

3 Likes

For whatever it may count for, @jay_man2 's answer is bang on, IMO.

1 Like

I hope the discussion has helped you decide some of the differences between quattro and one. Hopefully, it’s also useful to people like me wondering if we should upgrade ourselves or try something else. In community discussions we sometimes stray from exactly what the OP wants to know but I think we try to share information with everyone, not just the OP, and all learn in the process things that are useful in our hearing journeys. I always find what I learn in one thread helps me appreciate and value the expertise of posters when I encounter them in other threads. I think, too, in addressing the question “which one should I go with?,” there’s a lot you have to decide for yourself based on how you value or don’t value relative features discussed. A lot of the decision points are very subjective and vary quite a bit from person to person so as jay_man2 pointed out, gathering opinions from a lot of different threads, not just the one you started, might be the best approach because a lot of folks who have contributed useful information elsewhere may not show up to participate in this thread. (I stayed up all night to buy an RTX 3090 video card at a special early morning Best Buy Nvidia GPU sale, so I’m foggier than even usual and quite a bit poorer, too!).

4 Likes

Well I have had Resound Quattro for a couple of years now and in a couple of weeks I will be trying the Resound One, so may have some insights to share subsequently……

3 Likes

Jim, as you know I wore the quattros for over 2 yrs. and I changed to the 1’s when they came out (luckily my costs are covered fully by workmans compensation claim) I honestly did not see a significant difference in my hearing and was not at all impressed with r&mie … the app is still the best on the market and battery life is great … the new program ultra focus is just ok … I still like having the capability to set sub programs that change using GPS settings

2 Likes

I just took the above course. Learned a few interesting things. I will just summarize now and add an illustration or two and further info gleaned from course transcript, when and if it is available to me as a non-CEU, non-HCP just auditing the course.

First, the M&RIE microphone on the receiver is not recommended for small ear canals or ear canals with sharp bends or protruding bony growth. Also, not for people with steeply sloping hearing loss, e.g., if you have little loss in low frequency but then your hearing suddenly takes a very big dive in the high frequencies, not recommended. Gently sloping loss works better, either in the mild to moderate range or the moderate to severe. For the former, tulip domes or closed domes would be preferred. No OPEN domes. For the latter (moderate to severe), either power domes or earmolds would be best and the presenter said earmolds would be excellent, even better if you can tolerate a lot of occlusion to prevent feedback.

On “M&RIE directionality” vs. “All-Access Directionality,” the only time that came up was in answer to a question whether on advanced fitting options did one need to hunt for the M&RIE option in a dropdown for any setting. The presenter mentioned choosing M&RIE directionality vs. All-Access Directionality as one place where there was such a choice but said in general it would be not so great a choice to pick the M&RIE directionality over All-Access as you lose a lot of the “programmed-in” benefits that come with the All-Access Directionality choice (I presume that she’s talking about automatic implementation of feature settings akin to Phonak’s Autosense). She mentioned for most feature choices, you didn’t need to hunt for the M&RIE variety of that fitting option as the fitting software automatically took into account whether your HA’s were fitted with the M&RIE receiver and automatically picked the best choice, etc.

Since I have one very narrow canal that may take a sharp bend and the other a relatively big canal, I’m wondering if that rules me out as a One or Jabra M&RIE wearer even though I’d have no problem with a completely occlusive earmold (I’ve worn one for years).

The interesting thing about the Audiology Online course was at the beginning there was a poll as to why participants were there. The last choice was essentially “just find out about M&RIE,” which I picked. Shortly after that, I noticed that I had no ability to chat and ask questions, participate in other polls, or see the poll results in Zoom. Don’t know if it was just a Zoom glitch or whether there was a moderator limiting the ability of auditors who were non-HCPs, e.g., me!, to participate in the proceedings. The downside was that I didn’t have any opportunity to ask the presenter any questions at the end since I had no chat/messaging capability to the presenter but I take it folks registered for CEUs did (they are paying customers of Audiology Online!). I’ll see if a transcript shows up with the course completion in my online account and in another post I’ll add one or two images that show how steeply sloping loss limits the ability to fit and M&RIE receiver. Have to go for auto repair now!

Great input. I’m currently wearing M&RIE receivers, and for the last few weeks have M&RIE set as the directionality in my primary All Around program, and have a second All Around program with All Access Directionality. I haven’t been in enough challenging environments lately to decide which is better for me. Music sounds better to me with All Around and M&RIE, but that’s all I’ve determined. I think over the next month I’ll stay in All Around with All Access predominantly, then decide from there.

I do have ear canals with sharp bends, and my loss isn’t “gently sloping,” but the M&RIE receivers work okay for me. Decisions, Decisions.

1 Like

Interestingly, I have the jabras (same as the resound ones) and have two all around profiles pretty much the same as you. I think I like the all access one a bit better but the wind noise in the m&rie I need for driving in the miata and other wind environments