Jabra Enhance Pro RIE or M&RIE?

I have that book. It’s strong on how hearing aids work (technical on the HCP level, not the engineering level), current HA features, and hearing tests and fitting procedures. But it doesn’t cover manufacturers’ fitting software. The writing style is intended to be entertaining, which some people might find distracting.

I found it to be weak on audiology and acoustics and physiology. For that I recommend Audiology Science to Practice, Second Edition by Steven Kramer. AbeBooks has used copies for less than $10.

2 Likes

Here’s what I said about Harvey Dillon’s book a while ago. The basics of hearing loss and hearing aid correction haven’t changed. DSP signal processing advances are just in the way the HA’s function to deliver sound recovery. I doubt any book is going to explain the “magic” of how any particular HA works as the OEMs are keeping that stuff to themselves as proprietary trade secrets, etc.

Then there is this nationally used text on audiology itself:

IMPORTANT NOTE ON KINDLE EDITION: Actually it turns out that the Kindle edition format isn’t so great for the pictures and the video available with the ebook. So in the end, I returned my Kindle edition purchase to Amazon and bought the etext directly from Pearson, which necessitates installing the Pearson app on a smartphone or using a web browser on a computer to read the book. But it does have some very nice illustrations and videos and sound media files, IIRC.

Martin, like Dillon, is a grand old man of the hearing/hearing aid world so as for Dillon’s work, his text may be petering out on updating, etc. The last edition was in 2018 - but then maybe such books don’t need to be updated that often?

A great free reference on hearing aid fitting, mostly about compression of sound loudness to restore hearing and how it works, is Starkey’s free downloadable PDF, The Compression Handbook:

@MDB very helpfully recommended the Dillon and the Martin and Clark books to me once upon a time.

3 Likes

I’ve read the Starkey pdf. It was a good start.

1 Like

THIS is exACTly what I needed to read. I’m a classical musician and sound is important to me. I am also trying the MORE1. But… is you’re saying the sound of the Jabari is on par, then the extra 3k isn’t worth the spend. Ty. Very very much!

Curious to know what the fitting range is for the M&RIE? Would the M&RIE always be the better choice if your hearing is in the acceptable range? I was at Costco today and no mention was made to me about one or the other, i.e. RIE vs. M&RIE.

The Jabra is the same as the ReSound One. The data sheets posted here will show you the fitting range:

https://pro.resound.com/en-us/products/support-materials/one-support

There’s another thread here somewhere on the ReSound One M&RIE fitting considerations that includes additional detail:

Resound quattro vs resound one - #18 by jim_lewis is that other thread.

Thanks for the quick response. I called Costco and was told that my hearing loss is such that the M&RIE would cause too much feedback. I also have small ear canals with a pretty sharp bend so it looks like it is not for me. I was only wondering because it is supposed to help with directionality and I have trouble locating sound so I thought it might be helpful. BTW, I’m in the northern VA area as well with a son who would appreciate your UVA reference!

1 Like

Hello,I am also in the Northern Va area,there is a Costco in Manassas that has a hearing aid person that also has a hearing problem,she is pretty good,her name is AmyI have been to her twice now,but,still keep hopping these adjustment will work,she is helpful though in trying.

Thank you. I am seeing Wen in the Fairfax Costco. We’ll see how he does.

You are welcome,I have been to the Costco in Fairfax,but only saw Lidija Kirovska,I was not impressed with her at all! she would not listen to my concerns and did not give me much of her time ,she was rude. I would not see her again,if by any chance I would go back there. That Costco,is much closer to me then Manassas,but,I will stick with Amy for now. Let me know how you appointment went with Wen.

My first Costco experience was so unsuccessful that was considering returning the Jabras. jay_man2 had a ton of good information and experience with the Jabras, so I reached out. He recommended Amy, and my first visit with her was a revelation. Highly recommended [and thanks again jay_man2]. Cheers

1 Like

Yes Tony,I was ready to give up too,I did meet with Amy a few times now,and decided to keep my Jabra’s also,just have to keep doing adjustments with her and we will get it right! still having problems with hearing my T.V. clearly,(voices) and and my gym.

I picked up a Noahlink, but haven’t yet started down the DIY tuning rabbithole. Soon will though. Amy is great, but being able to tweak and test the results may be better and she has given me a very solid base to work from.

Tony,what is a Noahlink?

It’s the device that communicates from a computer to your aids. It’s only about the size of a pack of cigarettes. You plug a cable from the Noahlink into a computer and the Noahlink allows you to wirelessly transmit from the computer Smartfit software directly to your aids, just like they do at Costco.

The Resound SmartFit software is what you will need to program your Jabra’s. When you 1st connect to SmartFit the software will find and identify your aids as Jabra’s and the software and adjustments are exactly the same as the Resound One.

I am still having a problem hearing speech over noise,at the gym and on the tread mill I can only hear the person next to me,the one next to her,I could not hear! hearing the stove timer over at my son’s house the other day,I could not hear the timer when it went off,I could here it,but not where it was coming from,

If you search the forum, a lot of people like to use a TV streamer. It takes the sound from your TV and sends it directly to your HA’s, making the sound cleaner and cutting out any reverberations you might be getting from around the room. You can also adjust the volume coming to your HA’s separately from the volume any room speakers associated with the TV might be putting out and use the bass/treble adjustments with your HA’s to improve your understanding (“speech clarity” often involves turning down the bass a bit and turning up the midtones and treble). Our digital audio output from our TV
goes to a powered TOSLINK splitter with one splitter output going to our amplifier and speaker system, the other to my TV streamer and I listen to both at the same time with the speaker volume lowered relative to my HA volume via external mic settings. It really helps me understand spoken dialog better. Sometimes at a place like a gym or grocery store with a lot of people and a lot of noise coming from all around, including overhead Muzik, it might help to switch to a program that gives you more forward focus on what you want to hear rather than try to deal with too much noise at once. Don’t know about your age, but older folks have a harder time in the CNS focusing in and selecting a voice out of a crowd, especially with a din of background noise. So, sometimes it helps to use hearing aid settings like Ultrafocus or a Restaurant program with forward focus. I’m trying to make my comments brand agnostic. ReSound, though, recommends not using the strongest noise suppression settings if you’re trying to understand speech - only going as high as “Considerable” in the Smart 3D app.

Thanks Jim for this information,do I get the T.V. streamer from Costco or at a store like Best Buy? what is CNS? and what is the bass/treble ajustments mean?