Replacing rechargeable batteries in Oticon More

The More1 aids cost the USA VA just under $500 each. To be honest I don’t mind the rechargeable aids but if the VA had given me the choice I would have chosen the disposable batteries too.

2 Likes

@cvkemp: Chuck, when the Canadian :canada: Forces starts issuing rechargeable rifle scopes, maybe I’ll feel 92% comfortable with the technology and sign up for rechargeable hearing aids, too!

2 Likes

I got my aids before the disposable ones had been released

1 Like

Cheer up. It could be worse. The other manufacturers require factory repair to replace their built-in rechargeable batteries. I like the rechargeable Oticon More hearing aids!

1 Like

Me, too, Chuck. Feb/Mar 2021.

@pvc: They’re probably dandy for those who only wear their aids 12-14 hours per day.

Yep my normal day is between 14 and 16 hours. But I have had a couple of 20 to 24 hour days

1 Like

@cvkemp: I seem to recall just one or two of those, myself, and the rechargeable More1s held up through them. But, I don’t like the fact that if we get “caught short”, there’s no option but to use the charger, even though an hour “off-line” will get us going again.

If either of us had to deal with a medical (or other) emergency at the end of a long day, we could keep ourselves going at a loved one’s bedside indefinitely with a pocket full of disposable battery cards. My opinion … YMMV.

1 Like

My wife love TV or when we are traveling the satellite radio, I save my batteries by powomy aids off to give myself a rest if I can’t get away to myself.

A very justifiable concern in my opinion. The only thing that can alleviate this concern is if you have a pair of viable backup HAs that can perform well enough which you can fall back on for a day or two. But going with the disposable version only alleviates the concern that’s battery-related. If your More breaks down due to something else that’s not battery-related and needs to be sent in, then without a pair of viable backup, you’re also SOL.

1 Like

I have my backups but they will not charge on the smart charger if I get out for two long. The smart charger is good for about 3 full charges of the More aids.

@Volusiano: I have my old pair of *Unitron North Moxi Fit 800" hearing aids that I wouldn’t call “viable”, because they give me such poor speech recognition, they are disreputable.

1 Like

Yeah, if I were to upgrade from my OPN 1 to a pair of More 1, then my OPN 1 would qualify as viable backups. But your Unitron wouldn’t qualify like that if they give you such inferior performance compared to the More that you would mind a lot if you have to resort to them. If I were in your shoes, I’d want to have the disposable battery version of the More as well.

2 Likes

@Volusiano: The thing that miffed me the most was the fact that Oticon couldn’t provide me with any idea when the disposable battery version would be available. Had I known that it would come to market within the year (IIRC), I could have, and would have waited. I feel I was strong-armed into the rechargeable version.

The pitch was “if you want these features, you’ll have to make the “rechargeable tradeoff” and not look back.” I understand that there are technical reasons why marketing the disposable battery version took more time, however, the streaming/connectivity features that I might lose by reverting to the disposable version are of no consequence to me, as long as my hearing remains the same.

I would have appreciated being given the option to decide for myself which version I would wear for the next 4 years.

2 Likes

Does More 1 with disposable batteries lack any features vs More 1 with rechargeable batteries?

@drdigital1: I don’t know. Have you checked Oticon’s website?

1 Like

If I remember correctly there is a version with out t-coils and a version with t-could

1 Like

If I remember correctly, there was really no functionality trade-off between the disposable and rechargeable versions. You get everything with each version, including tcoil. Obviously the charger doesn’t come with the disposable battery version.

I don’t really know if they’re priced out differently or not. If somebody reading this has pricing knowledge of these 2 versions relative to each other, please share.

2 Likes

Hello everyone , I just received a bernafon alpha 7 MnR T, and the battery is 312+ ( rechargeable), I open it and test the battery , it is still full, and I try to put it back into the hearing aid, and there is no response at all, I connect it to oasis , not detected , and I try to hang it with blootood, not detected.

the seller says it must be cased using a verified cas (bernafon carrier). is it really that way, so that new hearing aids can be used ?

Can you fit a standard zinc air battery, just so you can eliminate the rechargeable one,
Edit: I see you can’t the voltage is different.

what programming device are you using to connect to Oasis?

I hope your seller isn’t saying they are locked!
Brand new HAs work straight out of the box, did you get yours in sealed plastic bags?