Referred for cochlear implant

Hi all,

Been a while since I have posted! Some of you probably remember that I was told I should consider a cochlear implant by my audiologist, but I refused, mainly because I do not want to lose what hearing I have left.

However going back and forth now for several months, there is absolutely nothing else they can do for me. Every single thing has been tried and tested but apart from making high frequency sounds louder, nothing at all is clearer. Frequency lowering is already on, sound recover is on, vents are the smallest they can go… like, there is nothing they can do. She even said that I could pay 10k for private top of the range hearinf aids, I am still goinf to have the same outcome.

So I have told them to go ahead and refer me then… it is going to take months any way (in the UK on the NHS). I have nothing to lose and probably something to gain! One thing I said I am concerned about is losing my residual hearing.

You can see my audiogram I have good low frequency, I would be devastated if I lost that. I know they can preserve it but it is a risk and no guarantees. If I am still refused, then I am still going to struggle regardless. Hard choices to make.

You look like you could be a good candidate for hybrid cochlear

2 Likes

That is what I have looked at but I do not think they provide this type on the NHS.

1 Like

Your audiogram looks like it would be a perfect match. I’m in the US so I do not know about NHS

1 Like

Wow did not see that diagram… you are right! I have checked the clinic locator and they do provide it at the hospital but not sure if it is on NHS or private basis… will find out more about this when I eventually get an appointment letter. Thank you.

1 Like

Glad to help! Honestly the hybrid implants seem to be very cool technology. I haven’t seen many people y’all about them but maybe there are people here with knowledge

They’ve been discussed here previously. They’re controversial.

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/t/i-want-to-hear-i-want-my-life-back/72060/45?u=x475aws

Hybrid is no go because it potential to lose hearing…

@craftycrocheter your Ci audiologist fits the hybrid attachment if you have sufficient residual remain after surgery. It’s just a little attachment that fits onto a standard Cochlear processor.

Preservation of your residual is never guaranteed, nor is the longevity of your residual guaranteed if it is preserved at the CI operation.

My residual lasted 15 months before I had to switch to the electric maps and ditch the hybrid. I certainly don’t miss the fiddly little thing.

Good luck on your new hearing journey.

2 Likes

in additional to that, you lose 20-30 db of hearing with the surgery. i was a candidate for hybrid attachment but I could not use it because i lost 30 db. I lost it all within a year…

I have the CI532 electrode which is the full length electrode, not the short hybrid electrode.

1 Like

Pretty sure the same happened to @Deaf_piper as well.

1 Like

To be honest if it did damage my hearing then at least it will only be in 1 ear, and still have remaining residual hearing in the other.

1 Like

that a good strategy, bimodal is a good option

2 Likes

I wonder if we can make a bimodal with something like a phonak hearing aid and a Cochlear brand implant. They wont be paired I know but could these work together?

@eyesgreendeaf yes you can with a Phonak aid. But you need to buy a Phonak accessories that you screw into the processor. This does add extra weight to your ear. I believe it does stream and pair.
@Zebras do you still have that diagram of the how this works?

You can’t connect a Cochlear brand and a Phonak Aid.

The only old way to connect was to buy the Roger set up and use the Bluetooth in the Roger Pen 1.1 but that won’t work with Bluetooth Phonak Aids now.

1 Like

@Zebras You need a Roger 2.0 receiver/s. This screws into the processor and ?aid. I’m not sure how it works but I know a gentleman here that uses this set up.

My concern is not bluetooth connection. It’s if a Cochlear CI and phonak aid can work independently. And an audiologist could adjust the phonak aid to the loudness of the CI?

One would need two audiologist. I think a CI and phonak aid would have their own bluetooth connection. I dont know if a phone could connect two aid at the same time

@eyesgreendeaf some of the US recipients have 1 aud. Here in Oz most of us need 2 AuD’s. And trying to get an equal balance between them is very difficult. I can fiddle around in the HA app and get a better balance between the 2 devices.

Yes they will work independently, with very little directionality.

May I guess that each device can have its own noise reduction?
Anyways it would be a difficult to manage situation

Could a CI alone provide enough noise reduction