Rechargeable Lumity Life NOT holding its charge anymore

@1Bluejay: Just to reiterate: I do, too! I wear my genuine Oticon brand More1 hearing aids usually from 5:00am until midnight, and every other day they may get an hour in one of my charger getups.

When they were new, my genuine Oticon brand battries would go the distance, easily. But I find that their ability to hold a charge diminishes rapidly after about 8 months of hard use like this.

Eight months of useful life before workarounds are needed doesn’t cut the ketchup for me!

2 Likes

@1Bluejay

But if the issue is your phone then getting new Aids is not gonna work.

Not asking you to leave Bluetooth off permanently but it’ll narrow down what the issue is.

It might be a simple solution of getting a phone with Android 13 rather than buying multiple pairs of Aids to get you through the day because of YOUR PHONE.

Seems excessive to buy extra pairs of Aids of like around $6000 or to buy a new phone that is like $500 or something.

2 Likes

The mystery is quite possibly your phone is the issue!

2 Likes

Yeah Chuck, I hear you… @cvkemp. Perhaps not loud, and clear though, given my loss :upside_down_face: but somehow I tend to think, unless they can improve hearing aid Li-on batteries by a significant amount of runtime, they are flogging a dead horse… They may wish to force rechargeable upon the market, but large dispensers like the NHS, at one time perhaps, the largest hearing aid dispenser in the world, they don’t do rechargeable aids, (and if they do dispense any, it’s minimal) for good reason, the NHS I should imagine want some longevity, and rechargeable aids won’t cut it, they would have to replace the rechargeable batteries every 2 to 3 years, and that’s time & money… Now I could see the NHS opting for rechargeable, if there was easy access to rechargeable battery compartment, it is then an easy fix, but then IMO, the hearing aid manufacturers wouldn’t be happy, it seems they are deliberately making these rechargeable aids, knowing full well the have a limited lifetime? Not to mention the BTE Super Power & Ultra Power aids, that require “Bigger Batteries” and a lot more oomph… I have followed this thread with interest, and if I was @1bluejay, I would be telling her A.uD to shove them, and give me a shout when the Lumity P13’s appear, if not then no thanks, because these rechargeable aids aren’t fit for purpose, no matter how well you hear with these 2 sets of aids, and to be very honest the seem to get rave reviews on sound, and clarity, but they are absolutely useless if they don’t hold a charge, and to be frank, having to buy 2 sets of Limity aids, to circumvent the runtime is an absolute failure in my book… Unless it is the Android 12 that is to blame, as @Zebras says? Perhaps you could borrow someone’s iPhone for a few days, to see if this solves the runtime issue? As always, YMMV. Cheers Kev

1 Like

@Zebras: You may have to say it again, louder! She may not have heard you the last few times . She’s DEAF, mind!

4 Likes

Android 13 was released in the US at the end of Nov. So could it be too soon to say if that version may have issues like Android 12 regarding battery drain?

I’m no techie, so if anyone out here has an Android 13 cell phone and uses Phonak Lumity Life aids, it would be helpful to let us know if there are any battery issues discovered … yet.

I’ve used the same cell phone since end of Aug, and the 2 pairs of Lumity Life aids since Sept and Oct respectively. Why haven’t I had any probs at all with battery drain till 4 days ago?

After I had my Phonak Audeo B-Direct aids for several months, they started to automatically reboot for no reason. A firmware update resolved that forever. So I guess that’s my hope with these Life aids. Fingers crossed.

Oh yes!!

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Search the forum.

Many people have said it’s SOLVED the issue.

3 Likes

Needing two pairs of Aids to get you through the day tells you one main issue didn’t start 4 days ago.

It seems silly to not turn Bluetooth off for the day to see if it solves the issue. Instead you want to carry on with the issue.

2 Likes

Well for me optimal HEARING is my holy grail. I know it’s ridiculously suboptimal to not have suitable rechargeable batteries. But the confidence I have with these Life aids is an order of noticeable magnitude better than with my Marvels.

I’ve made the tradeoff from Marvel to Life, but seem to have stumbled on a problem that cropped up 4 days ago. I can live with swapping out my aids once per day. (Just as I lived with SINGLE ear streaming with the lame Audeo B-Direct aids cuz at the time Oticon was late to the game with a streamer.) But if the 4-hr charge issue isn’t resolved, that’s going to force a reckoning of some kind.

1 Like

I have asked for the information not sure I will receive it yet.

2 Likes

So my husband has also told me - you are in good company! Ah, OKAY OKAY! I will do that tomorrow and report back - Scouts Honor!

I really do appreciate all the suggestions, so I agree to PUT IT TO THE TEST. I’ll report back on Wed, to give things a FULL day of no BT. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks again ALL for the insights.

4 Likes

@1Bluejay: I believe that you’re robbing credit for discovering something that other Members have known about/been reporting for quite some time now.

1 Like

Let’s just say I was thinking much worse words than you. My old Navy sailor language broke out tonight

4 Likes

@1Bluejay: I’d like to hear whenever I have a mind to, and not just whenever my hearing aids decide they’re gonna let me. I’m fussy that way, I guess.

Optimal? Define optimal

1 Like

thank you. can you repeat the test when the hearing aids are charging, you will see how much current they draw. Try to make a hearing aid 1 by 1, to see if it draws the same amount of electricity as it charges the hearing aid. Just an idea to test

DONE. I tested the NEWER Life aids I’ve been wearing several hours now (4pm to 11:30pm): With both aids in charger 1, they drew 0.116 amps; in charger 2, they drew 0.22 amps. (see the “before” shots above, which were taken with NO aids in the charger: both chargers drew 0.046 amps)

Just for comparison, I then put the fully charged OLDER aids in these bases and found them to be drawing about HALF the amps as the ones I’d been wearing for several hours.

Conclusions:
Point 1.) I’m confident saying my 2 charging bases are working and that the aids are indeed charging up.

Point 2.) SEVERAL HOURS! I was surprised that I’ve gone almost 8 hours with the aids I swapped in this afternoon. I turned BT OFF at about 8pm. As Zebras & others have speculated, am I getting MORE hours of use with BT turned OFF? I will find out tomorrow as BT will remain off all day, but I’ll have both pairs of aids ON (wearing one pair and leaving the other out on a desk or someplace).

I’m about ready to put Barbie and Ken into a laboratory beaker, shake 'em up and see what spills out. Will report in on Wed after I see my audi.

Over and OUT for now.

2 Likes

@markoo355 , @sterei , @Zebras Could someone please explain to me what has just happened here/what she just said?

@SpudGunner thank you. That is why I’m here. To learn and hear (no pun intended) both positive and negative. I’m reading all posts.

@SpudGunner

She turned Bluetooth off at 8pm but I don’t think she’s got 8 hours since turning Bluetooth off unless she goes to sleep super late, I’m unsure.

I’d be surprised if she comes back and says turning Bluetooth off for the day, hasn’t made a big difference. By the looks of it so far, it’s looking like Android 12 was the culprit.

4 Likes