Rechargeable Lumity Life NOT holding its charge anymore

@SpudGunner
See here for phonaks explanation:
Phonak Support Community 4

2 Likes

@sterei: Thank you for providing me with this link. I’m puzzled now, as to why this explanation seems inadequate to satisfy @1Bluejay?

Don’t think it’s inadequate.

I just didn’t think she realised that a phone could cause issues with hearing aids and Altho we told her, I don’t think she fully believed it but I feel she does now.

2 Likes

@Zebras: Good. I’m glad for her because - as you have already told her - getting a new phone is an easy fix.

I totally agree with this statement. I personally think buggy versions of Android and/or buggy apps can cause significant battery drain. Before I went to bed last night (midnight), I checked my battery life and it was around 30-35%. This was after 16.5 hours of use, 4 hours of streaming and one 20 minute top up charge while I showered. More than enough to get through a busy day. If you are not seeing something similar, your phone is messing up battery life.

Jordan

2 Likes

Just asking for my own information. Do those people with iPhones have a similar issue? I have been using this forum to gather information since I may need to choose new hearing aids next week.

Sorry for the off-topic question.

1 Like

I’m using a brand new iPhone 14 Pro Max with the latest version of iOS and I have zero battery issues with my Lumity hearing aids. That being said, I make sure I always do the following:

• I will only use an iPhone and I always keep iOS updated to the latest version.
  • I never leave Bluetooth turned on for any of my devices unless I am using the device to stream.
  • The only Bluetooth device that gets left on at all times is my iPhone.
  • I always drop the Lumity hearing aids into the charger when showering to top up the charge.
  • I only watch TV with Phonak’s TV Connector 2. It uses far less battery than other Bluetooth devices.

Jordan

2 Likes

@SpudGunner

BlueJay may not want to anyway but I feel she may not be able to return her second pair of Aids even if she starts to get a full days charge from one set of Aids.

Even if you have a fab audiologist, they aren’t going to turn down selling more hearing aids for like around $6000.

1 Like

No issues with, iPhone 12 Pro, I have 3 sets of disposable battery aids, Marvel 90 RIC’s, Naida P90 BTE UP’s, Naida M70 BTE SP’s, all connect seamlessly to each set of aids once paired to the iPhone, Naida P90’s last approximately 11 days, Marvel 90 RIC’s last about 6 days, Naida M70’s are around 6 days also, always leave my Bluetooth on, been rotating the aid’s lately, for many reasons… Poor fitting new BTE moulds being one. Cheers Kev :wink:

1 Like

My main concern is that I do a lot of streaming from my iPhone due to remote meetings. I have not had rechargeable aids before.

1 Like

@prodigyplace

I don’t really use my Marvels as my hearing has declined due to treatment for a medical issue.

When I did use my Marvels, I used to stream PodCasts from 6am until around 4pm all day.

Battery with all day Bluetooth streaming took my battery usage to 1 1/2 days.

No Bluetooth and just using Aids as normal I got 6 days.

I realise I’m talking about disposable batteries but just giving you an idea of how much Bluetooth drains batteries.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t even put rechargeable aids on my consideration list, mainly due to longevity issues… If the manufacturers give us access to change/swap out rechargeable batteries when they are kaput, I would obviously reconsider if they meet my hearing needs… Until then, no thank you. Cheers Kev :wink:

2 Likes

Currently have Phonak Lumity LIfe and iPhone 13 pro (IOS 16.2) No issues what-so-ever with battery not lasting full day.

1 Like

I just wanted to test the rechargeable BASES in the experiment with USB-C tester and photo posted. I think the test showed both charging bases are working A-OK.

So later on, in the post you wanted clarification for, I tested whether one or both aids may be drawing LOTS more power during a charging session. One pair of aids had drained to 70%, the other was fully charged. Again, the result shows that my aids are probably charging up in a nornal way.

So the next test - as per Zebra’s suggestion was to turn BT OFF. More on that after it’s put to the test. Hope that helps.

2 Likes

Okaaaaay. That pretty much explains it - not that folks hadn’t beaten me over the head AND ears telling me so. Thanks for that link Sterei. I hadn’t seen your link here till logging in this morning.

I have the Samsung Flip-4 cell phone with Android 12. That pretty much nails it. (face-palm, gigantic “DOH!” burped out).

Greatly appreciate that link, and am glad Phonak has posted it cuz their Customer Support lines probably melted with the calls coming in.

My best solution is to probably update the OS to Android 13. Will keep ya posted.

1 Like

Yep. Likely, I can ask tomorrow when I go in for the app’t. I’d just keep the 2nd pair as my identical backup to use like when I turn in the first pair to have the rechargeable battery changed.

Hey THANKS for all the suggestions about BT! I’m going to jump one more test in the cue before turning BT off for the entire day: I’ve unpaired & disconnected the 2nd pair of Phonak Life aids from my Samsung Flip-4 phone. Now I only have ONE pair of Lumity Life aids paired & connected to my phone for today. I’ll see what the battery life is by day’s end.

If it’s still squirrelly, I’ll just turn BT off completely for a day and note the result. I actually ENJOY the experiments being run cuz I’m going to write up the results and share them with my audi!

1 Like

@1Bluejay: Why are you pushing back so hard against this logical test? It boggles my mind!

I’m just doing tests to document the result and share data with my audi tomorrow, but I think it’s crystal clear that the problem is MY phone (Samsung Flip-4) MY rechargeable Life aids and BT being on at all. So I’ll also be printing out the Phonak statement and taking that with me.

As I peck this out, hubs is at the computer figuring out how to download Android 13.

@1Bluejay: I hope he figgers it out, since it will allow your Lumifys to work properly. And we know how you Love Them Lumifys!

This will increase your phone battery but nothing else………