Phone support for Jaba Enhanc plus

I have had a Moto G phone for a couple of years and had no problem hearing with my ancient hearing aids which failed totally early this year. I then bought a set of Jaba Enhance plus aids . I have found that I have not got any useful hearing now. Had a telecoil fitted which improved things marginally.
It now appears that if I want anything useful I will have to get an I Phone. Is this possible, that a company like Resound can totally ignore the world of Android phones.

Most HA manufacturers don’t support Android.

Only Phonak do.

Others have started to support some Android phones but very limited. It’s called ASHA.

Yes because about 10 years ago Apple introduced the “Made for iPhone” hearing aid integration. Until recently thete has not been an equivalent Bluetooth LE solution for Android. Blame Google, not Resound. In fact Resound was the first to use the Apple system.

Yes, the Jabra Enhance Plus hearing aids support ASHA. Resound has a compatibility list. In general, most relatively new Samsung and Google phones are supported.
Look at OP’s audiogram, their loss is pretty severe.
@will339 What are your word recognition scores? You may very well be a Cochlear implant candidate.
You also just might need your hearing aids adjusted (or perhaps more powerful hearing aids)

Is it only certain Android phones?

Many people seem to think it’s the HA manufacturers who are at fault.

:slight_smile:

1 Like

My understanding is that it is only certain Android phones. Resound’s compatibility list used to get down to the carrier level (so even if you had a potentially compatible phone, if the carrier didn’t support it, you were out of luck) I can’t find that chart anymore. Newer Samsung and Google phones seem pretty safe. OnePlus support seems sporadic. Some other phones “may” support ASHA, but I’d confirm before buying. I don’t know that this is anybody’s “fault.” This stuff is obviously way more complicated than I ever thought. I remember thinking back around 2018 when I got my first phone with BT 5 that some sort of universal BT would “soon” be coming. Here we are almost to 2023 and there’s hints of LE Audio and Auracast coming to phones and earbuds, but it’s pretty much been “crickets” regarding hearing aids (other than Resound saying early on that the Omnia would eventually support LE Audio) Hearing aid companies just don’t have the resources to throw at this stuff that major phone companies do.

ASHA is built into the phone so older Androids don’t have the ASHA protocol and it’s not something you can download to add in. I had that problem with my Moto E when I got new aids. After searching, searching, reviewing, reviewing I opted to buy an iPhone–because It appeared to me it would be the most likely type of phone to work with just about any brand of hearing aid.

2 Likes

which is strange because it was the hearing aid companies approaching the Bluetooth SIG which led to the development of LE Audio. Having said that, you’d feel a bit stupid as an audiologist giving a new set of aids to a client and telling them that there’s no phone available yet that will stream to them. So hurry tf up Google.

no, actually blame Bluetooth SIG

Woah there, Bluetooth SIG haven’t introduced any audio changes in 20 years… you are barkiing up the wrong tree. What happened was the hearing aid manufactures needed to educate the Bluetooth SIG folks to make a low energy audio solution… it is an engineering marvel. Google is just a software provider and they are definitely not in the business of doing what bluetootth sig does…

So it took them a few years to get going because Google had to learn the app prototype HA Mfg built using bluetooth LE in the HA R&D lab that plays a mock stream using an audio clip to HA prototype and implement it in the AOSP codebase…

1 Like

I wasn’t blaming HA manufacturers!!

2 Likes

Bluetooth SiG is run/funded by member companies so you can blame every company that makes HA,CI , earbud, phone, computer, tv, speaker systems…

1 Like

My point was do not blame the HA manufacturers because Apple provided their own solution for their products years ago while there was no comparable Android solution.

it takes a lot of effort to bring people to the table and do something together… Apple have a head start like 2-3 years because they can actually profit from it… google business model is different, they can’t control what connects to the phone by a bluetooth vendor, licensing was impossible… nobody could do 2.4 ghz until 2010 on a hearing aid battery, Google didn’t think of this idea first but Apple did. . it takes at least 4, 1 is finding the right people the last 3 is R&D with resound…

1 Like

I don’t get what’s going on with Google. Android 13 supposedly supports LE Audio. Pixel 7 is not listed on Bluetooth.com All Pixel 6 models are BT 5.2 certified, but without CAP.
As an aside, I find it interesting that Galaxy Z Fold 4 is listed as CAP certified and has the same certification date of Galaxy S22 which is not CAP certified. (10/28/2022) The Fold has a slightly newer chip (Plus version), but both have BT 5.2

It is not Android itself that need to support CAP. it is the bluetooth vendor chipset/firmware that need to run on it

But I assume that older versions of Android would not be capable of running LE Audio (at least without some sort of update)

No, incorrect, the bluetooth vendor can impl a version for older android.

So theoretically any phone with BT 5.2 could receive an update that makes it LE Audio capable? (but no guarantee that they would do it) Other questions: Could a phone with BT 5.2 be updated to BT 5.3 via firmware? How about a phone with BT 5.1 to 5.2 via firmware?

Yes, could be the bluetooth vendor didn’t finish implmenting it in ime …

not likely but it is doable so yes to both question We know Coochlear upgraded from 4.0 to 4.2 in bluetooth stack for N7…