Phone calls disconnecting with Phonak Paradise P90-R

I am new to the forum and I appreciate all the individuals who give their time to share valuable information. I already owe a thank you to someone, I don’t remember who, that suggested using “Comfort Ear” for ear itch (I tried many things that did not work over the years) and to the one who suggested a “GUM” product to clean my hearing aid mold.
I have severe hearing loss and have posted my audiogram. I am a retired pilot who was exposed to airplane noise for many years. Currently I am using Paradise Audeo P90-R in both ears. The molds could fit a little better because whin I grin the volume reduces to about half, but the main problem is with the left aid cutting out during phone calls with Bluetooth. This forum has much information on this subject, but I have not seen one exactly like mine.
When talking on the phone the left aid cuts out with the corresponding cut off jingle about every 3 or 4 minutes. It only stays off about 3 seconds and then reconnects. The right aid is primary and apparently the signal is lost in the transmission from right to left. The left aid gets a little static sound just before cutting out.
I’ve tried switching from adaptive bandwidth to fixed which helped clarity but not the cut-out problem. Changing positions from different parts of the house has no effect. I tried moving the phone around my head in different locations. I have shut off all other Bluetooth devices in the house while talking. The microwave oven has no effect. Phonak tec support suggested holding the rear button down for 17 seconds then place the aid in the charger and remove. This seems to help for a while but then went back to the same problem. My audie has offered to send it back to Phonak but I am hopeful there is a simpler solution. Any help is appreciated.

3 Likes

If it were me, and I use the P-90RT, I would delete your existing phone and pair with an alternate phone (you can borrow someone else’s for an experiment) and see if the problem changes. What happens if you pair to a non-phone Bluetooth device? My main goal would be to increase my confidence that the issue is with the P-90 and not the source.

1 Like

It does sound like a problem with the aid itself. I have P70r aids and have not run into that issue with calls via cellphone or zoom meetings on the computer.

If it were me I would have the aid sent back.

Jim

1 Like

Thanks for the advice VinceJ. I have a Panasonic landline phone that I placed in front of a radio and dialed the number with my Samsung S7 that is paired with the aids but the problem persists. I have the TV connector paired and it holds the connection. I have not tried to disconnect the S7 and pair with the Panasonic yet because of the above.

1 Like

Thanks zuikoholic, I’m beginning to think this is the only alternative.

1 Like

I wouldn’t sweat too much, send for the replacement and then if the new one shows same symptoms, dig deeper. But my suspicion is also on the faulty aid itself.

I have P90 R as well. While i was using it with my old LG G5, it disconnected from bluetooth regularly while phone calls continues. I switched to Xiaomi mi 10T pro and the problem never happened for last 1 week.

Try it with another new model phone. If problem continues, then it should be about your hearing aids.

I had a similar problem. I have begun to suspect that Phonak has some quality control issues. I sent mine back and got a new pair. It was too frustrating. The bluetooth in my right aid gradually stopped working. I started to carry the recharger around to reconnect but then that stopped working. When you pay as much as we pay for these you have to send it back. Otherwise they will never realise there is a problem.

1 Like

What phone you are currently using? It was happening while i was using my old LG G5 (bluetooth 4.2), now i am using Xiaomi MI 10T Pro (bluetooth 5.1) so it doesn’t disconnect and works properly.

Thanks Blacky and News, your input is helpful. SkX I am using a Samsung S7 and I would hate to buy another phone to try solving this problem. It is apparent I need to send the aids back. Covid and other problems are getting in the way of seeing my audie, but I will get there. Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Samsung S7 is also a phone that uses bluetooth 4.2. Your problem has probably nothing to do with your aids so they have a high chance of rejecting to change those. Good luck about it.

SkX you are correct, my Samsung S7 Edge does use bluetooth 4.2 and before buying the aids I checked Phonak’s phone compatibility information here -
https://marvel-support.phonak.com/en/audeo-m-cell-phone-compatibility/

It is disturbing when reading the fine print “Phonak assumes no responsibility for the compatibility thus it is the user’s responsibility to do product compatibility testing by himself before any purchasing decision is taken.” So I guess they want me to check their aids with my phone before buying, ugh!

Did you ever resolve this issue? I’m having the same issue - calls disconnecting, BT going off in left HA and then the jingle when it reconnects. Also people on the other end of the call complain they can’t hear.

I discovered that my Panasonic land line phone had been previously paired with my old Audio B-90’s Compilot Air II and when I unpaired from the Panasonic it seemed to clear up the problem of the Paradise left aid cutting out with phone calls.

I have Paradise P90 and have exactly this problem; I make/receive a call and after 20s or so the left disconnects sometimes with chimes and then 5s later reconnects. This repeats throughout the conversation. Was a solution ever found?
Thanks in advance, John

Does this happen EVERY time you make a call? I used to have that happen occasionally with my older Phonak Marvel aids. I chalked it up to flaky 3G signal. It would also happen as my area upgraded to 4G - like some kind of awkward transition period.

Even with my new Phonak Lumity Life aids, once in a blue moon the aids will seem to disconnect while on a call. I just turn BT OFF then ON and check to make sure my aids are PAIRED correctly. Then I re-connect them to the cell phone and try making the call again.

You could try completely unpairing, then re-repairing & reconnecting your aids to the phone. Also note that your phone is on the latest OS. For me, I need Android 13 on my cell phone.

Hope you figure this out and get the calls to stop dropping.

1 Like

Thanks for the good will.

Yes it happens with every call, same as with the originator of this thread.

I’ve tried everything possible i.e. un-pairing, rebooting, reinstalling the software on my phone etc. Its annoying and distracting. I think I’ll have to invest in new ones.

OK, that sounds like something I’d bring up with an audi. I’d ask, “Have any other patients told you they are having the same issue? Can you call Phonak Tech Support while I’m here and ask them what can be done?”

Could it be where you live? Dense population with high cellphone use OR rural setting with very poor cellphone coverage? I’ve had my issues in those two kinds of places. But clearly, this is completely unacceptable for you! If it means new aids, new manufacturer, new audiologist, whatever it takes, you need to have a reliable form of communication that works for YOU.

What else can you do? I hope someone here has a suggestion. Be sure your phone’s OS is compatible with the Paradise. I had to put Android 13 on my Samsung Flip-4 phone in order to have optimum performance. Maybe there is something else going on with your calls dropping?

1 Like

Happy Days!

As mentioned above I tried all of the obvious stuff to no avail. I then googled and found advice for resetting Bluetooth on Android…

1 - It advised “Reset preferences for all apps”.(Weird that this should help with BT malfunctions)

2 - Cleared BT caches etc by “Resetting All Network Connections” This reset my Wi-fi and my BT and I had to repair my Paradise

Voilla! Problem fixed!

1 Like

Hey fantastic news, thanks for sharing with everyone, I’m sure this will come in handy for some.