Phonak wax guards CeruShield

I’m having issues with the wax guards, specifically, the CeraShield disk. Ver frustrated and disappointed in Phonak. I always have difficultly. If there is any wax buildup in the wax guard, it will not grab the wheel and i am unable to change these. Stupidity, the way this is changed. I’m using a spare set of hearing aids because of this. What are my options ?

1 Like

On the odd occasion when a trap went sideways when I was using the disks, I (or my wife) would use a fine embroidery needle to coax the old one out. Some people like to split the front off of the disk. It lets you center on the spot better, in my opinion, and likewise for the new trap. Just don’t mix up old with new!

Welcome to the forums! Best wishes!

WH

2 Likes

A trick my audiologist taught me was to pop off the top of the disk using a small screwdriver.

Then you simply pop the top back on.

It’ll spin much more smoothly

1 Like

And I just left it off…

WH

For the longest of time, I couldn’t get the disc to twist. Until recently I learned not to press hard against the wheel while turning.
cerushield

I place both thumbs lightly on the grooved edges, and turn.

1 Like

I’ve always used the plastic strips attached to the receiver, and set against my ear to keep my hearing aids in place.
Those made it really difficult to put the old one in the “garbage” slot, and take a new one and put it into the receiver.

Rant: clearly the people who designed these wonders were young and had good eyesight. Combine far sightedness, astigmatism and horrible reading vision these were not designed for me. Worse than that I often took the dome off and found the wax thingee wasn’t centred, and probably blocked the passage of sound. I sat beside my audiologist while he talked to an expert at PHONAK Canada on speakerphone, who responded saying they hadn’t had a complaint. The little frisby’s are useless. Rant over.

My audiologist has been wonderful. He’s made time for me when I messed up. He’s removed jammed wax guards from my hearing aid. He’s replaced my receivers when I got so fed up I did without the waxguard for a while.

DaveL
Toronto

1 Like

Hi, nearer your experience. One filter would not engage and the filter twisted. My Audi sent me some spare receivers and I was able to disconnect the jammed one and replace it with a new one.
It involved pushing a near invisible pin on the aid out (don’t lose it) the receiver pulls off, push new one home and reinsert the pin.
The trick of using a needle had not worked.

1 Like

I am dexterous and I have difficulty with the wax guards. Having watched my audi extract one from the receiver with a pin, I use a pin very often these days. It’s a very poor design.

2 Likes

I am 35 years old, but I have noticed that some discs cannot pull out the wax filter, so I did it with a needle. They should have really made these filters more practical, not only for the elderly, but also for young people

2 Likes

yes, stupid and ridiculous way to change these. Shame on Phonak

1 Like

Keith
agree I don’t think I will buy Phoank again

1 Like

Poor as the wax guard is, I still think my P90 HAs are incredibly good, especially when listening to music (not streamed music).

1 Like

My audiologist gave me more wax filters for the P90 receivers (molds) on the normal sticks. They work much better than the disc.

1 Like

Can you take a photo of the package if it says something on it? That I would try to find on ebay

1 Like

Unless you have molds (not domes) I don’t think you can use them. My activevents take an even different type of filter. (HF3)

WH

2 Likes

There is no brand on them. Here’s a photo of the container:

And with the sticks with filter on one end:

I think they may only be for molds??? Not sure. Before my audiologist had the molds made I used double domes which did use the disc.

3 Likes

I’m very interested!

I hope we can learn more about these.

My disks are a pain

I’ve just gone without the wax guards for a week to see if that works better.

DaveL

Thanks in a way I feel better. I’m 75.

These are only for Phonak xReceivers and not the new Phonak SD4 receivers.

1 Like

Interested to hear how that works. I admit to not cleaning my aids every night or cleaning the domes frequently. I find wax on the receiver body, probably dragged out when I take the aids out. I also see the holes on the domes with wax in them.

I would be worried that the receivers get clogged up.

1 Like