Phonak TV Connector Different Versions

Hello, new to the Forum. I am shopping for a Phonak TV Connector. Are there different versions? When I search in Google I see some with nothing on top and some with volume up and down buttons. I have Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 R on order.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.

Instead of searching Google, try searching this forum. Hundreds of posts about your question.
Good luck.

2 Likes

To help you a little.
There are two TV connectors that work properly with your Paradise aids. One is the Phonak TV connector and the other is the Costco TV connector at a lower price. Other Bluetooth devices have not done well here on the forum due to connection issues and latency problems.

1 Like

Does the Costco model have the volume buttons on top?

Yes it does have the volume buttons on top.

1 Like

I called Phonak customer care about the two different TV Connector versions. He said the version with the buttons on top is the latest and greatest version and that is the one I should get for the Paradise Audeo P90-R HAs. I mentioned to him that the user guide in the Phonak site shows the version without the buttons. He did not know why.

Clarification update. I called Phonak customer care again to ask if they would send me the link to the newest version TV Connector guide. The guide I was looking at is in the Phonak site in the Professional section and is for the first version TV Connector. The customer section in the site has the guide for the newest version. Guess I should have checked there. He said he will have their web site updated. He emailed me the guide link for the newest version. He also said the latest TV Connector with the buttons on top is identified as version 2 and to purchase that one for my HAs. Sorry for all the confusion.

1 Like

Reading both TV Connector guides (original and version 2) on page 15 of the version 2 guide says the connector can receive and transmit Dolby Audio, stereo or mono audio signals. The original guide says can only receive and transmit audio in mono or stereo and you have to change the TV audio setting to stereo (PCM).

Are there any pros and cons connecting power with the USB cable to the TV verses using the AC adapter?

The USB on TV is nice because it turns the TV connector on and off with the TV.

4 Likes

Thanks Raudrive. I was thinking the same thing. Just making sure there isn’t funny issues with the connector firing her up every time versus staying on all the time.

I have the the Phonak TV connector with the volume controls on the top however I never use them. The rocker switch on my Phonak Marvels lets you control the volume. Also the phonak app on my iphone lets you control the volume as well.

1 Like

Some TVs may not provide sufficient power from their built-in USB port to adequately supply devices like this, especially if the TV was only designed to use USB for firmware updates. If you encounter any difficulties then consider using the power adaptor instead.

1 Like

I have both a Phonak Version and 2 additional units I bought from Costco. Other than the packaging and price ($99.00 at Costco) they appear identical. Since we are on this topic I have never found the volume controls on my units to do anything. I connect using the digital optical audio (Toslink) connector so that it does not interfere with the TV volume control if someone else is listening. When I adjust the “volume” from the ap on my phone it actually adjusts the outside sound vs TV sound which affects the volume but to my mind they should be 2 separate controls. Do others have this issue? Am I missing something obvious? Well worth having. I can hear and understand dialog so much better.

1 Like

How is the distance for you? Does it punch thru walls fairly easy?

Our TV with my Costco connector is in the basement family room, and my KS9s keep connections upstairs. I can run upstairs to get snacks from the kitchen and back while listening to the show :grin:

2 Likes

I find the range to be fairly limited. We have a large family room and my seat to view the TV is just on the edge of its range of about 15 feet. Sometimes i have to lean forward in my chair to catch the connection…lol. I do find sometimes I can walk into our kitchen just down the hall and stay connected. I have to remember to power the TV connector off as without fail no matter how far away I am if my grandson turns on some of his favorite cartoons the device seems to connect no matter how far away i am. The connector’s i have in our bedroom and exercise area are never an issue.

1 Like

How long is the Toslink cable supplied with the Costco TV connector?

1 Like

I’ve got a two year old Sony “smart” TV with all the bells and whistles. USB ports. So reading previous posts I’m a little confused. Can Phonak TV connector (version 2) run directly off USP port, with no power adapter? And will Phonak TV connector turn on and off when I turn TV on and off. Boy I’d like simplicity here.

If I buy the version 2 TV connector does that come with USB cable plug in? Previous posts mentions digital optical audio (Toslink) connector. Is that connector needed and if so is it supplied by Phonak?

Also read a power adapter might be needed but again my two year Sony TV was top of the line but not clear if power adapter is needed. So just USB cable plug in for power. TV connector internal battery for power? OR power (cord) adapter? Trying to simplify things if I buy directly through Audi - via Phonak.

1 Like

According to the Technical Data document l (found at the Phonak Pro site) for the TV Connector, the provided “DC, stabilized” power supply is 5 VDC and 500 mA with micro-USB. The “Important notice” says “Only use the original Phonak power supply or an USB certified power supply 5VDC, > 500 mA”.

A normal USB port should be capable of supplying 5 VDC at 500 mA IF it meets the USB specifications. However, many USB devices don’t correctly follow standards. One would hope that Sony TV would meet all relevant standards but who knows …

IF the Sony ports meet USB specifications and if they follow the power state of the TV, then plugging the TV connector into a Sony port with an appropriate cable should allow the connector to power on/off with the TV.

I don’t have a Phonak TV connector - Oticon supplied a Toslink cable (plastic fiber optical cable) with my equivalent device. It isn’t needed if you use an analog input to the TV Connector. The Phonak TV Connector accepts both Toslink and Analog (3.5 mm plug) according to the datasheet. In my case, Oticon recommends Toslink if available rather than analog input.

1 Like

The toslink connector is supplied with the Phonak TV Connector. It has a standard fiber optic connector on one end to go into the tv and a jack plug on the other (with a built in converter) that plugs into the Phonak tv device. When the tv is off the tv connector stops transmitting automatically. It just works and is of no hassle or concern. It most likely can be powered via a USB cable from the TV, but that depends on the TV.

For instance I have a Samsung Tv with several USB ports , only one of them provides power. My other TV has USB ports that all provide sufficient power, but I prefer to use the supplied power supply that came with the TV Connector

1 Like