Phonak Sphere l90 versus l70

which actually brings a question I havent searched for yet, is there a way to shut off the HA’s past a certain DB threshold? My Audiologist didnt seem to think so. He suggested turning them off

Don’t know about Phonak yet. The ReSound Smart 3D app has buttons to shut off your left and right HA (or a combined button for both if you’ve fused HA controls).

Phonak warns that HAs are not ear protection. I figure that my occlusive silicone molds with no vent are worth ~10 dB of sound occlusion, but for nasty sounds, I wear both foam ear plugs in my ear canals and put on passive sound-blocking ear muffs. The plugs block ~10 dB, and the muffs ~30 dB. I don’t like to wear my HAs wearing ear muffs because in hot San Antonio summer temps, my HAs get very sweaty underneath. A privacy fence encircles my backyard, so I’m not too likely to encounter anyone or anything in it when I’m out working with a noisy mower or the like (weedwhacker, chain saw, nail gun, leaf shredder, table saw, etc.) and have to engage in speech. If I were working in my front yard and encountered anyone, I’d just point to my ear muffs!

Look into custom made earplugs, mine are a true 30db, Westone as I recall…I only wear additional muffs if I’m shooting. I tend to run a lot of heavy equipment about the farm herre. Loaders, Backhoes, excavators, etc

PS, was also wondering if heavy equipment higher db stuff would damage the HA’s…

2 Likes

Ear muffs do have one additional use. They serve as UV protection for my ear lobes, one of the more UV-sensitive parts of the human body (along with the nose), as the skin is very thin there, and the inner skin germ cells are less protected by thicker outer layers of dead or dying skin cells.

So, I don’t have to smear my ear lobes with sunblock and then worry about any residue’s effect on HA components. I always wear a broad-brimmed hat and try to avoid the peak UV midday hours. In Texas, UV at any time of day is ~2x stronger than in more northern latitudes like MO and PA. It’s said that in the U.S. for every 800 miles you go closer to the equator, UV intensity doubles (it’s ~1500 miles from the most northern part of Maine to the most southern part of Florida; don’t know if the doubling thing works if you include the most northern part of Alaska! :grinning:).

2 Likes

No definitely not, the HAs have a MPO and that’s it.

3 Likes

In Target, you can manually set an option to turn off mics after 2 seconds of pressing the lower button on the rocker switch.

You can also turn off mics in the myPhonak app on the main screen.

Regarding the strength of the Spheric program:

1 Like

(post deleted by author)

@jim_lewis @Stimmenhoerer this is correct. you would see “Trial” printed on the housing in this case. If not, and you payd 70s and got 90s…? well

1 Like

My bottom button, takes 5 seconds to turn off, meanwhile switches program or volume before shuts off. Turning back on even longer. I may play with that today if I get some free time

ty

If there is anything that annoys me, is having to carry my phone about to see what it switched to with a longer press.

After 5s HA shuts off completely. In my post I meant turning off mics only while HA is still streaming or using Roger mic. To turn on HA , 2s is usually enough.

Turning off only mics feature is after enabling that in Target:

why is my turn on HAs’s so incredibly long then? Its longer than 5s shut off.

I’ll look into that mic shut down, which I believe is the same as when I select it in the app.