Phonak Roger Rip Off

Was just thinking of another way to look at this. If one is trying to optimize speech in noise for the least cost, it might be a much better idea to spend the money on a Roger Select and combine it with a less expensive hearing aid (M30 or P30) Alternatively one can get creative and come up with non Phonak solutions to use the Roger Select. I think it can be argued that a Roger Select offers much better “value” than upgrading to a M90 or P90.

2 Likes

This is what I have done. Researched into the pros and cons of getting the M90’s. I settled on the M30’s due to the lower initial outlay. And add a Roger Select later, I’ll still come out in front. Waiting to get into my Audi now for my Roger Select trial. Cant wait to give it a try.

Once I’ve had my trial, I can submit my rebate request to the Govt and they’ll reimburse me for the cost, which has made @Blacky jealous :stuck_out_tongue:

Pump the pump. As the first poster correctly stated - Phonak Roger Rip Off. Case Closed.

Depends on what is your daily usage, but yes, it’s awesome solution.

If you are only at home in quiet, shop among familiar faces, and on events where you sit (restaurants, bridge club, knitting club and similar) m30/p30 + select IMO better solution than m90/p90 alone. And definitely cheaper.

Nothing can beat sound source few mm from your eardrum. :drum:

But people oftentimes don’t stop and think about their use cases.

Route of getting select to work with other manufacturers is more expensive and oftentimes subpar, eg if it uses tcoil. I’ve checked that and for ric devices there’s not much to do, regular big BTE can use DAI shoe for their aids and that brings the quality up.

I’d argue that it might even get sense to get cheapest marvels plus select for select situations, and then other HAs you like for other situations, depending on prices you might end in the same ballpark but with better quality with mics. Compared to forcing non phonak to work nicely with roger :joy:

@Shelldrake :stuck_out_tongue: glad it is going to work out for you :+1:

I was just wanting to make the point that Roger Select can be used with other hearing aids. Personally I agree that use with Marvel, Paradise (when bugs are worked out) and other compatible aids (KS9, and some from Unitron and Hansaton I think) makes more sense.

Phonak’s accessories are exorbitantly expensive even at wholesale.

They want to control the supply chain from top to bottom and eliminate ALL companies who supply their stuff in parallel.

1 Like

They can, but only limited.

So best is having receiver inside the aid (marvel & co).
Second best is DAI shoe and X receiver. That works in theory with other manufacturers (you need their DAI shoe), but, not all HA models have DAI shoes (from my short research, only big BTE with tubes have it, but RIC do not).

After that, you’re dependent on tcoil or plugging X in the device from that manufacturer, but then you get latency issues. And quality drops since it gets compressed along the way.

So basically if you buy flagship RIC from someone else but you won’t be able to get the best sound quality out of roger select.

Price of select for my fitter is around 650 eur. Or 680, I forgot the middle number.

I think you’re saying that Phonak makes it hard for independents to sell accessories at any profit because they give better deals to their own selllers?

Yes, they own the Whole supply chain in Boots Hearing Care in the U.K. , so which point they take the ‘profit’ is a tax/accountancy exercise.

We used to sell a lot of Unitron on the promise that they wouldn’t undercut the independent suppliers, until a customer came in and told me he could get exactly the same product from the local Boots Hearing more cheaply than my wholesale price.

I made the decision to drop Sonova then on. Fortunately that’s also meant we haven’t had to educate our clients on the Cerusheild palaver.

2 Likes

Thanks. Revised version of Cerushield isn’t bad although I still prefer my wax filters on sticks. :grinning:

1 Like

Ok, isn’t that like forbidden? Dumping prices or whatever it is called?

Can you share if your wholesale prices are in the ballpark of those german ones or higer/lower?

1700-1900 eur without a discount on m90/p90 (I think around 1300-1400 with), 650 for select are rough german ones.

I saw some uk hearing aid providers selling new m90 for like 1300 eur or something. And I doubt they don’t have a profit out of it. So maybe they’re from that sonova supply chain?

The practice is masked by offering wholesale list prices which without discount are almost what the consumer pays. If you bulk buy there are discounts available to approximately 65%.

The split of where they take the profit depends on where they want to pay the tax.

On the high street they won’t normally be knocking out pairs of M90 under £2495, but there were a few offers running at this level before the lockdown started.

All the prices have changed now, and the model will also likely change as people work out that it’s better to go to quieter single attendance premises than rubbing shoulders with many people in large optical/chemists premises.

I have the DAI shoes and RogerX receivers to use with the Select. I use them with Resound Quattros.

I got the Roger X receivers …type 02… off eBay…$150each

The Select is the best mic I have ever seen for meetings

Can you share which model exactly? Ric or not? Battery size?

Better than table mic 2?

They both use beam forming, and table mic 2 can work in network of them, plus can change if they need to catch closer or further away. But only for quiet afaik.

I’d expect meetings to be quiet though, I mean without bg noise.

I’ve found the Select iN to be fantastic for meetings. So much easier to hear at work.

Restaurants are a bit better, still challenging as its picking up the kitchen noise and knives and forks clattering etc. But I was able to hear the girls at the table next to be deciding on what salad they were having for lunch.

1 Like

For those Phonak models with full bluetooth connectivity, I wonder if a bluetooth karaoke microphone would work good enough.
They are about $20 on ebay.

For some people they might. The big issue I’ve heard of is latency. Some people seem very sensitive to a slight delay–others not so much.

Amazing isn’t it? It’s almost like legal eavesdropping. And using it in meetings is a major plus.

1 Like

Btw, starkey released their table mic

They say it has 8 mics as opposed to 3 in select (6 beams but 3 mics).
Ok, works only with their latest HAs but its half price of select.

Something is moving :slight_smile: