Phonak Paradise Rechargeable Battery Life

Hi all,

Can’t seem to find a thread or posts on this though I am sure there are.

I am looking to get insight into how long these last for people on average.

I am using ultra power receivers and thus I think I drain these things much quicker than the average user. Example - Some would get 8-10 days of use on 13T Marvels, but for me I only get 4.5-5 days. The difference? Requirements in power in the receiver (also could consider streaming, but it seems receiver power needs is a stronger factor).

My P90-R’s:
Yesterday, 16hr day, lots of streaming- 20% at end of day.

Today, after 2hrs of use with no streaming, already down to 90%. Seems like a fast drain.

Looking to see what others are getting, and if you could include the type of receiver you use, that is helpful.

2 Likes

Welcome back! Haven’t seen posts from you in awhile. I’m thinking streaming (and Roger use) could have notable impact on battery drain. Have you considered UP Paradise BTE? It uses 675 batteries so pretty sure you’d get longer battery life, albeit with some increase in bulk.

I get around 3hrs steaming and 16 to 18hrs usage with 20% power left.

However, when I initially had a trial pair they went down quickly ( but not as bad as yours). At that time I had them paired and connected to both my Android phone and iPad simultaneously - because I could and it was fun. I soon realized that if both had notifications turned on then the battery was used quickly. When those were turned off it was much better but still not good enough.

It could have been one of two things causing this in my opinion.

1. I had a game on the iPad that I looked at several times a day. Even though it already had sound and notifications disabled, it seemed to sucking down the aids battery.
  2. I generally always had my phone in my pocket, but left the iPad in the sitting room as I moved around the house or garden etc. obviously I was going out of range of the iPad Bluetooth. This could cause the HAs to “struggle “ to maintain or seek to reconnect to Bluetooth. I think this may more likely be the cause of the excessive drain?

I disabled the Bluetooth on the iPad and ever since have had great battery life.

Hope that gives you something to try.

5 Likes

I use my P90Rs about 12 hours per day with a pair of M receivers. Stream about 3 hours per day. I normally end up around 55 to 58% battery life remaining. I have had my Ps since early December.

1 Like

Definitely streaming or even the batteries going bad, as someone has noted just having them connected with draw a bit of juice, there’s no way the receivers are draining most of your batteries.
You could check yourself if you wanted to, remove the receivers from your HAs and check how much is being used over a couple of hours.

I disagree. Check out the specs between the receivers. Lots of evidence that the more sound output required by the user, the more battery it uses. Additionally, only one aid is doing the heavy lifting of the streaming- and there is only a discrepancy of about 5% on the aid doing the streaming compared to the left. That being said, the left aid is pumping more sound out than the right since my L ear requires more power, so it’s not a true comparison. But when I’m not streaming much, my L ear (non-BT aid) aid drops faster than the right…because, again, more power is needed here.

Truthfully, some could argue I’d be better fit in Naida. However, I’m doing great with the UP receivers and SoundRecover2 and like the minimal look.

4 Likes

I remember looking at power usage of the 4 different Phonak receivers. At the time I was thinking P and UP receivers. Surprisingly the power usage of all receivers is very similar. Attaching an interesting chart from Phonakpro.

1 Like

I already know this, I never said they don’t use more battery juice, I’m well aware of the difference but your misunderstanding how this works, my point is there’s no way your UP receivers are using the amount of battery percentage that you claim, something else is at play, your claiming that you should get 8.5 to 10 days but because you use UP receivers you only get 4.5 to 5 days, I’m saying no way are your receivers responsible to for up to a 5 day difference, we’re talking mA difference between receivers.

Then you are suggesting something is wrong with my Marvels (where I get 5 days of battery life), which have been repaired/replaced under warranty proactively every 6 months by Phonak (and the receivers also replaced; they get sent out by my audi proactively because I am in a high-stakes profession with little forgiveness for downtime: medicine)… and your reasoning also suggests that there is something wrong with my Paradise aids as well. Given that I’m on a loaner pair of Paradise just trialing them out and my P90-RT are on their way, I guess we’ll see what kind of battery life those get as well.

Sorry, but I’m sticking to it: those that require significantly more amplification will see less battery life than those who do not (e.g., someone who has severe, mostly profound loss like myself compared to someone who has a moderate loss). The point of this thread is to see what other people’s experience have been.

This is reflected well if you look back at the Marvel battery life thread, though most of the discussion there is with replaceable batteries…hence me creating this thread.

2 Likes

Adding this anecdotal “evidence” in the fitting software that suggests the higher the gain, the less battery life you have. It’s found in the latest version of Target on Paradise models when you look at the Feedback & real ear test tab.

I am guessing that the issue is not the reciever used, but the amount of gain pushing signals into the reciever. The P & UP recievers are not consuming more energy, they are allowing more energy to be pushed out of the aid.

Jim

2 Likes

Yes absolutely, again I’m well aware of this,but again your missing the point, your chip processor is working overtime this will consume more battery, your environment will also make the difference, a quiet place or a very noisy environment has los of processing going on, but you have another set to “test” your theory.

Good luck.

3 Likes

I think zuikoholic has hit the nail on the head. It’s about the gain % of the receiver, maybe not so much total gain as in profound versus mild hearing losses.
When I ran Phonak Audeo B90 13 aids I got about 7 days on a set of batteries with P receivers. That was with very aggressive frequency lowering settings, hence the ability to run P receivers with profound hearing loss.
Interesting to think about. If focusandearnit were to replace his UP receivers with P receivers on his aids I wonder if his battery life would go down?

So, my Paradise 90-Rs are less than a year old (actually about 11 months) and I am getting about 12 hours of use from the rechargeable battery before the primary aid “dies”. Admittedly I do stream from my TV Connector about 5 hours during an average day. I put them in about 8 AM (after charging all night) and they stop working about 8 PM. Should I be taking them into my audi for a “warranty repair”, or is this normal?

Yes it does seem to be less then you should be getting, but actually not uncommon, it’s one of the drawbacks to using rechargeable technology, use the search button from right here on hearingtracker to find quite a few post on this matter.

And yes, I would ask Phonak to check them to see if new batteries are needed.

https://forum.hearingtracker.com/search?q=Rechargeable%20battery%20life

I just got mine. 2 Paradise hearing aids with rechargeable batteries.
First time I used a program other than auto it ate up the battery.

I was in a restaurant, outside, and decided to use a custom program for noisy areas. That was about 1:00 pm. I had put them in at about 7:30 am. Around 8:00 pm I had only 2-% battery left. That really concerned me.

I checked with my audiologist. But more importantly I’ve watched the programs I’ve used ever since. I typically put them in about 7:30 am. I take them out at about11:00 pm. I’ve had no issues with battery capacity since. I have them in auto. I don’t know how to stream music.

Dave

@DaveL: So, then, how much juice do you typically have left at the end of your 15 1/2 hr day?

[FWIW, after 18 h 20 m of use today, I have 17% charge remaining in my Oticon More1s.]

For whatever it’s worth: I have Costco KS10s that are a few weeks old (Paradise equivalents), with P receivers. Yesterday, I put them in at 6 am and at 11 PM I heard a warning tone sequence in the right aid (primary Bluetooth receiver). Right aid - 10% battery remaining. Left aid - 17% remaining. Streamed probably 2-3 hours yesterday between Macbook Air and Pixel 5a (Android), volume turned up to hear while I was riding my bike. So, 17 hours with 10% remaining.

2 Likes

Boy I’m not getting into this argument but I’m glad I stayed away from rechargeable batteries on my marvels and now my paradise. But I really didn’t have any choice either

Kate and I both have had Marvel Rechargeable M90’s for the past 2.5 years. We both go 16+ hours on a charge. She doesn’t stream music and I stream a couple of hours a day. We’ve both loved our Marvels.

Kate got her Paradise Rechargeable P90R two weeks ago and loves them. She says sound quality is noticeably better.

My audiologist insisted I try Widex and Insignia, otherwise I would have had my P90R at the same time. At our next appointment on Friday I will hand back the Widex and Insignia, continue with my Marvels, and order a new pair of Paradise Rechargeable P90’s.

1 Like