Phonak Paradise Rechargeable Battery Life

For someone with moderate loss who isn’t connected to a phone and does no streaming and just uses the automatic program in an average mix of sound environments, the Paradise rechargeables get about 30 hours.

Things that impact battery life:
-Severity of hearing loss/receiver strength
-Complex noise environments
-Streaming
-Age of phone and how it manages bluetooth
-Sitting in specialized programs all day (e.g. the speech in loud noise program drains the battery dramatically, AmpCROS programs, 360 program)
-CROS use
-plugged wax filters/dirty mics
-riding the edge of feedback all the time

The number one battery drain I’ve seen is from older phones that manage the bluetooth connection poorly. It’s easy to check whether this is your problem by just disconnecting the phone for a few days.

CROS users can expect a maximum of about 12 hours.

After that, heavy use of classic bluetooth phone streaming will suck down the battery life much faster than the proprietary accessories, but 8 hours a day of FM use will drain them pretty hard, too.

If none of these really apply and you’re just using the TV connector for 6 hours a day with otherwise minor battery draw, I’d send for repair.

2 Likes

Neville this is an incredible post and answers my questions well.

I have an older phone. iPhone 8. I am on the edge of feedback…I’ve had one instant when battery life wasn’t adequate.

I used a program–in a noisy restaurant. I forgot to turn it off after we left. Put my Paradise rechargeable hearing aids in about 7:30 a,m. Had to recharge the batteries about 8:00 p.m. that night.

I haven’t done that again. I use the auto program almost exclusively. I crank the audio gain up by 2 notches if I need to–and my day is 7:00 a.m. to 11:30 p.m. with 30 % battery life remaining most days.

1 Like

I have a new (3 weeks old) Audeo Paradise Cros P and I use the phone heavier than most people. Battery charge is lasting about 13-14 hours.

1 Like

Yeah, that speech in loud noise program will take a 312 battery from seven days to four if you just sit in it. Similar effects if you are spending the entire day in a level of noise that keeps the automatic program in that beam forming setting.

1 Like

I note what Dave said. When new my usage was 15.7 hours per day. Recently it has been 15.3 as I have been retiring a little earlier. Battery life indication was around 25%. Yesterday my left aid died after 13 hours and the right after 15.
My Audi says BT Streaming can accelerate the drain. Today the left died after 12 hours and the right 30 minutes later.
AFAIK I have done little streaming and usually only a minute or so compare to listening to a film for an hour or more.
However each time I have checked the program - Phonak Marvel - the App shows the program is the BT one and not Autosense.
Tomorrow I shall ensure no streaming and check the program is properly in Auto.

1 Like

Today I had a rough day. A departmental meeting lasted about 2 hours. It was streamed. I had issues comprehending what others were saying. It’s stressful.

I have a new phone. It’s an iPhone SE–and it works quite well with my hearing aids.

I don’t have issues with my rechargeable batteries in my Phonak Audeo P90R’s I’ve only had one instance when one/both failed. My audi even gave me a second battery charger so I could carry it in my car–my mobile office! H has been amazing with his support.

Oh, and one more thing … I have discovered that just “pausing” an audio source does not take the aids out of streaming mode, so the aids still use battery to support the Bluetooth receiver. In other words, if you stream some music for a half hour in the morning and just “pause” the music, the aids will stay in streaming mode all day. If you power off the streaming device, walk out of Bluetooth range, or manually return the aids to the Auto program, the batteries will last much longer … and you will probably get more audio from your mics!

1 Like

Just as something to compare to, I have Resound One rechargeables and use them about 15-16 hrs a day, stream calls and use TV streamer at night and never below 40% at end of day. I also keep bt on all day

2 Likes

I have returned to this topic, the title is still appropriate but I want to change the focus.
My battery life continues to drop. My left aid is a year older than the right and loses power soon that the right. My question relates to battery whole life.
At what point is a rechargeable battery effectively unserviceable and ths changeable under warranty?

1 Like

That is my question. I’m seeing my batteries dying before bedtime more often now after 2 years of using my P90RT aids. I realize all the listed reasons will drain the batteries, but my lifestyle hasn’t changed so I believe on average the batteries should last about the same. My audi says the batteries only last (at the original level) about 2 years.
I’m going to start noting each type of usage and how batteries last - but my audi is willing now to send the aids in to Phonak for replacement (if Phonak agrees about the batteries!) I don’t want to wait until the 3 year warranty runs out!

2 Likes

My audi told me that his group finds rechargeables typically begin to lose their capacity at about two years, and they send them in for a free replacement under warranty. Then they recommend doing the same just before the warranty runs out. Note, at two years the batteries still hold a charge, but their capacity is smaller so they run out of juice quicker.

I rarely stream or use programs other than my Musician program and my Signia 7 aids with a power receiver in the right have plenty of juice left at the end of the day. But I often store them mid afternoon in their charger for an hour or two when I read, so my case isn’t typical.

I exercise in the middle of the day and leave my HAs charging (to keep them away from my sweat)- so your case is not an exception. Having said that, imho HAs could be built a little bit larger and host bigger rechargeable batteries.

Yep, I chose the telecoil version. It’s a skootch larger but the battery for this is bigger than normal and holds some more hours of charge.

2 Likes

That’s interesting. How do you know the battery is larger? I also have the telecoil version and always thought the increase in size was to accommodate the telecoil aerial itself. I would have guessed that for ease of manufacture all models use the same battery?

My battery depletion seem to be in line with everyone else and more dependent as a result of one’s actual setup… I.e more gain and more actual streaming and bells and whistles that are enabled, the more it sucks up battery?

Well strictly speaking, I don’t. I was just told at the moment of purchase that a Telecoil version of the Signia Ax7 had better battery life than the regular version, and was a touch larger. I went for it. I have no reason to doubt the veracity of the claim. and in fact I’ve mentioned this countless times on this forum and no has disputed it. And as we all know, battery issues are a hot topic! sadly…

I just posted a reply elsewhere but just to reinforce the point, I had both Marvel aids, a 3 yr and a 2 yr, service by Sonova. Out of warranty 75 but these were FOC. Both had new electronics, receivers, domes replaced and the 3 yr one a new case too.
They were returned with my programs restored and round time was about 7 days.

2 Likes