Phonak Marvel 90 R Bluetooth Problem and Fix

I recently got a pair of Marvel M90 R’s and at first was quite impressed with my new Samsung S10+. But after the first Samsung update I started having problems with phone conversations, I could hear the other party but they couldn’t hear me. I tried the Samsung forum with no luck even after being escalated to the Samsung “team”.
I finally contacted Phonak and they had some suggestions and the last one fixed my problem. I had my audiologist change the Bluetooth setting from Adaptive to Fixed and that seems to have fixed the problem. Phonak said they had experienced this with some IPhones. Anyway, since the Bluetooth adjustment phone calls have been working great. All other streaming features work great too.
Thanks Phonak

5 Likes

Interesting. I remember Phonak pointing fingers at Apple, saying they (Phonak) had come up with a solution to Apple’s problem. (LOL - companies throwing sand at each other in the sandbox!) Look’s like Phonak’s “Fixed” bluetooth mode isn’t just applicable to Apple now. Glad you got this sorted out!

Regardless who’s at fault or who fixes it, I’m happy everything is working on my hearing aids now.

1 Like

I had the same problem with my Marvels and my S10+ phone. This solution worked for me as well. I changed the bluetooth bandwidth to Fixed in the Phonak Target fitting software, and the problem was solved!

I also had the same issue with my S10, but since the S10 firmware update 4 (July) I have been able to use adaptive bandwidth again. It seems to be better quality with phone calls and more stable. Only been using for six days now but so far no glitches yet.

1 Like

I’ll try getting it switched back at my next appointment. Although it’s been working fine with the “fixed” setting.
Thanks for the info

Verizon is my carrier, your carrier may not work the same. It’s a risk and a trip back to fix. I do my own programing so easy to switch back. My own experience is adaptive sounds better to me. From what I’ve read adaptive skips around the bluetooth channels to avoid interference.

I guessed you did your own programming and can make changes quickly. I was wondering how you got the change done so quickly. Wish I knew more about programming and may look into that. I would like being able to “tweak” my aids.
Thanks for the post

Programing blue tooth in the App is simple. In the App press the 3 bars top right. Then select My Hearing Aids, then Blue Tooth phone call, then select Fixed or Adaptive.

same- I have been to audiologist today as phone calls were useless on new Samsung S10 plus, and settings been changes.
I am changing from an Oticon Agil Pro that I had for years but one is beyond repair now and sound only about 40 % in one aid.
Anyway,a week trail so far on Phonak Marvel M 90
I am finding general sound strange generally,but I will give it a trial.

Reference how you find general sound, I quite agree. I had been wearing the least expensive, and cheapest, NHS Seimens hearing aids. They worked well enough and I could usually adjust the volume to suit. When I was fitted with the Phonak Marvel I noticed an immediate change.

After a short while I experienced what I felt was ‘ordinary’ sound. Hard to explain but possibly similar to yours. I expected to experience some marvellous experience with the marvel aids. Well actually I was, - ordinary sounds - as if I didn’t need hearing aids. Hearing sounds that had previously been muted. Clicking keyboard, deafening bird sound etc. Now my brain is retuned to the aids and things just seem ‘ordinary’.

My brain is finding these aids a challenge.
The bluetooth is not connecting in one aid-so took them out.
I will try again later-and restart my phone as well.

What is the difference of adaptive and fixed. Why not being In the fixed mode it cause the problem.

Is the smartphone showing not connected? If it is there are two things to try. In the MyPhonak APP see if the aid shows as not connected - Retry- then try that. If that does not work, put your aid into BT learning mode, switch off and then switch on again and retry again.

Your Phonak App allows either fixed or Adaptive settings. It says use Adaptive for best results. Bluetooth devices use frequency hopping to help minimize the effects of interference with other devices. Frequency Hopping is a technique where when a link is formed the devices are synchronized to change channels together many times a second

1 Like