Phonak AutoSense 5.0 - Speech in Noise Activation

I have often wondered what the threshold/setpoints are for AutoSense 5.0 programs to switch Calm Situation ==> Comfort in Noise or Calm Situation ==> Speech in Noise.

In one of his YouTube Videos Dr. Cliff Olson stated the following:

Speech in Noise - When 60db has been met for 5 to 10 sec
Speech in Loud Noise - When 65db has been met for 5 to 10 seconds

The attached screen shots are taken from Audiology Online.

What is this “noise floor” to which the article refers, and it can be adjusted in Phonak Target. Does this mean you can adjust when Speech in Noise is activated?

Today I was in a small retail store, there was no one else around me, there was no speech. As I have a habit of doing, I opened the Phonak app to see how the HAs were behaving, and they were in Calm Situation. I took a db reading and it was 67 db average. By what Dr Olson said, I should be operating in Speech in Noise. However according to the screenshots, not all conditions were met so I stayed in Calm Situation. Makes sense.

So to repeat, what is this “noise floor” that can be adjusted in Phonak Target?

Floor noise? This has always referred to the circuit noise, as in the fant hiss those with normal low frequency loss can hear from the receiver.

In Target you can adjust the sound level at which Speech in Loud Noise kicks in. I think this may be the “floor level” referred to.

Oh yeah that makes more sense.

Please tell us which Program Option adjusts the point at which Speech in Loud Noise activates. I don’t see it.

This is how it looks in older Phonak Target version 6

This is the view in actual Phonak Target 9 with Autosense OS 5.0

2 Likes

Got it. Thank you very much. I’ve never looked this previously.