Phonak Audéo Sphere

How do you mean? Lumity speech in loud noise program also kicks in at 69 dB at either ear. I think in the paradise it had to be 69 in both ears and back in the venture audeo I think it was higher at 73 iirc.

Is anyone wearing these devices?

Dr. Cliff saying there is a shortage of Phonak Sphere Infinio

This is true, but the good news is that smartphone manufacturers’ demand for leading edge nodes is what makes it (eventually) possible for HA manufacturers to gain access to smaller process sizes. In other words, once TSMC spends tens of billions of dollars to create a 5nm chip fab, they will keep that fab running as long as possible, even after smartphones have moved onto smaller processes.

I don’t know what the Deepsonic chip is in terms of process size, but I expect that HA manufacturers will continue to benefit from process shrinks, even if they are 5+ years behind what smartphones are using

3 Likes

I’m guessing that in 5 years or so, the 3 hour limit for the Deepsonic chip will appear laughable. I think the big jump for AI in hearing aids will likely come when we can have the AI chip running 100% of the time. But that said, most HAs work pretty well in quiet environments right now, so limiting the AI processing to only very loud situations is probably going to give people at least a significant portion of the benefit that we’d see if AI were running 100% of the time.

2 Likes

Has anybody tested the sphere mode while in a car?

For me, car is the most challenging environment as I always hear a lot of noise at high speeds and voice gets masked by the engine/wheels/wind.

If the sphere mode is able to isolate voice not only in noisy environments like restaurants but also in cars, it would be a game changer for me.
For example, the Roger On helps me only in restaurant but it’s not effective in the car…,

I assume that in the automatic there will be no sphere, but you can set a second programm with the sphere and use this in the car, should work but I have not yet tested them.

BTW this 3h limit is only on automatic, this to ensure that the hearing aids will run a “whole” day.

Ask @AudioBlip and @pproducts.

What acoustic coupling you have? I you have dome or earmold with big vent - efficiency of Roger and AI decreases, sometimes dramatically.

Ten years ago, I was not aware that the efficiency of DynamicFM depends on how large the diameter is in my earmold. Smartlink+ was completely useless apart from presenter mode.

AutoSense OS 6.0 do has Spheric Speech Clarity. You can also set it as manual program.

I read that as “while in the car”

WH

1 Like

I have moulds with a small (1mm) vent so I should benefit greatly from Roger On… and I do at restaurants. By car is another story…,

I mean that information should be easily accesible on Phonak website in PDFs, such as:

"In AutoSense OS, following modes kick in, when:

1. Calm situation - [conditions with dB numbers]
  2. Speech in Noise - [condition: noise: x dB; speech signal: y db]

etc., etc."

Totally agree. I just got a pair of the Spheres today on a trial and it seems like the AI mode kicks in once you hit a certain noise threshold. So it’s definitely not on all the time (and that made me realize the 3-4 hours you get with it becomes super usable) but when it does kick in, it’s like you have a mic on that person and its going straight to your ears. I can’t wait to see how good this gets in the next 5-10 years.

4 Likes

Ah, hm. Given that the automatic program has been trained using AI for generations, would we expect them to have all of those parameters? Or are some of them a bit black box?

2 Likes

Indeed, yeah, you’re right. I completely forgot about training. I thought about AutoSense OS as an block diagram (simple “if X… so do Y”).

However AI:

What acoustic coupling do you have, and how large is the vent?

1 Like

Yes in the car, of course it has it on the automatic, you can deactivated and set it to a second programm or there are 3 option when it will be activated: medium loud noises, loud noises, very loud noises.

For those who have the Phonak Target software, I was able to download 10.0 today (was at 9.1). UK user.

Activation level goes from 0 (moderate noise) through default 10 (loud noise) to 20 (very loud noise) but no details as to what dB those numbers relate to.

2 Likes

They mentioned 69dB, so with that slider you can set it at predefined level, interesting, and a battery saving mode for just 3 hours a day (24 hours?) you can bypass that limit as well

It’s not dB, it’s just steps indicating the strength of the noise reduction. If you play around with the acoustics you’ll see the default is higher with an open fit, presumably because it’s overall less effective with an open fit. Cranking it up will start to add more distortion probably, but whether an individual can hear that will depend on the acoustics and their hearing.

2 Likes

@DamonHill
The car is a nightmare. If driving I do ‘ok’, but if I’m a passenger in the bsck, it’s another story. I’ve tried all the speech in noise type programmes, but end up getting more success with the “all in” Music programme, strangely

Peter

1 Like

So this is why Speech in Car is separated AutoSense OS program. Do you not see any improvement with this?

1 Like

I’ll try the Music program, too, even if our settings might differ greatly…

1 Like