Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 - Is Autosense the only program needed?

Thanks for posting.
I’ve had Paradise P90’s for abut 2 months now. I’m hoping to learn more from what people post here.

(Biggest problem I’ve had is putting the so-tiny wax guards in if I change the domes. I think I’m ok now…next change I’ll see)

I had the audiologist set up a program for me so I can hear voice better, so I’ll understand better. And I had him turn volume up each time I visited. I’ve used HA’s for about 20 years. These i hope will be much better than my last pair.

Dave
Toronto

Experienced HA user; new to KS10 2 weeks ago. Personally I plan to approach things as Hooby describes. For some the intelligence designed into AutoSense might be all that they need/want. I like to have easy options/programs for over riding what AutoSense might do as there are numerous situations in which I can analyze an audio scene better and I know what it is that I want to achieve for my listening. While I hope that AutoSense will be fine/acceptable perhaps 90% of the time, having manual options for those other 10% is worth my time to notice, make adjustments, and save as a program I name. Autosense for me is improvement over my prior Phonak Audeo V auto experience, but there is room for improvement.

For me the thread is of interest to read what additional programs people use (and if it is shared when/why they use them).

1 Like

All my questions seem to have been answered by Dr. Cliff Olson and Peter Mulas of Phonak, in the videos listed below:

Why Automatic Hearing Aids are BETTER! | Phonak Paradise AutoSense OS 4.0
www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePyk6Fk4cA

AutoSense OS 4.0: Machine learning takes Paradise hearing aids to the next level
www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL25WHtPLdY

NEW & IMPROVED MyPhonak App Update
www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj93rjZWCI

1 Like

I would appreciate it if you could go into a bit more detail on “I had a special Music program modified to my taste to remove some artifacts I did not like”. What do you mean by “remove some artifacts”? I thought you could only change frequency balance, volume, noise reduction, speech focus and dynamic.

1 Like

Some people take the existing music program in AutoSense and make it one of their manual programs. That way you can select the program when you want.

Then if this music program needs a little adjustment for whatever reason it is easily done by the fitter.

@PW76 I was getting artifacts (warble or flutter) at certain frequencies (and multiples thereof) which were annoying me. ( see some of my posts earlier this year) it was also happening with two Oticon More trials as well although slightly differently of course).
It was eventually solved essentially by removing the anti-feedback functionality and some other tweaks in the Target software that I have forgotten right now. These changes were made to the Autosense Music program and then copied to a custom fitted Music program. I find that Autosense does not always sense music and can switch to other programs, so the fitted Music program works well and remains in use until I change it deliberately. It’s even better now with myPhonak 4.0.4 as it stays in place after any Bluetooth interruptions.
Hope that helps!

PS this is a good resource for eliminating these issues…
https://forum.hearingtracker.com/uploads/short-url/ppeSGoCq3WzDwj3krBegW24nUjd.pdf

1 Like

I have some additional programs in my Marvels: Restaurant, music, TV, and speech in noise. I can’t remember the last time I’ve used any of them. The right control was set for volume and the left control was set for program change. At my first follow up I had him set the left control for volume as well, because I was never using any other programs.

I find that I leave my aids on autosense 95% of the time. Even when streaming music

For me, Speech in 360 is an essential program.

1 Like

I had the Phonak V90 and I was in Autosense 99% of the time.

There was only a single specific situation where I switched to a different program: When I was walking on a narrow street with a group of people, I switched to a 360º program, so I could hear better the speech behind me without turning my head.

1 Like

I got my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 paired with an iPhone about seven months ago. I use Autosense most of the time. My HAs and myPhonak App were upgraded a few months ago so I can create Custom Programs. I use one Custom Program in a particular situation where the wind and other noise make Autosense switch to different programs frequently. The Custom Program just deals with the situation as best it can which works better for me. I do have other Custom programs but rarely use them.

As for hearing your partner in a restaurant or noisy situation, I recommend Phonak’s Partner Mic. My wife wears it in restaurant/noisy situations and I can easily hear her.

I have moderate-severe hearing loss.

2 Likes

You all have helped me so much.
I’m a new user of the Paradise P90. My hope is that I can use them on “auto sense” most of the time.

I have had issues. I’m older; the tiny wax guards are so hard for me to use. If I put them in wrong, then I can’t hear!

My audiologist has been understanding. I’m lucky to have his service, knowledge and help.

Just thought I would add more data to the thread.
I have the KS10s (VERY similar to the Phonak p90…) - My autosense works well - switches to music with music (takes about 5-10 seconds with my settings) as well as auto selecting car, loud, quiet, reverb etc etc. [I also have Telecoil and a custom music program as 2 other custom programs]

My audi changed the autosense music program to a more linear setting and decreased feedback “interference” as well as making a custom selectable Music program for my piano playing.

GENERALLY I leave the autosense in place UNLESS listening to the TV (The switching in and out of music auto-program is a pain with all the background music in modern TV shows) - then I choose the TV program which is essentially “speech in quiet”. With the new firmware the TV program has automatically populated the 4th ‘slot’ on my manual switch selectable programs so no need to always go back to the easy line app to select it.

I select the custom music program when playing the piano as we have worked harder to fine tune it and the autosense music program is better for the radio with mixed speech and music (rarely speech WITH background music unlike the TV)…

2 Likes

I quote Oz-Tack “My autosense works well - switches to music with music (takes about 5-10 seconds with my settings)”. How do you know when Autosense is switching between various programs because I cannot detect the changes with my hearing? The Remote Control section of the myphonak app just lists the active program as Automatic and I have to go through the menu system to get it to show “Music (Automatic)” ?

I find the only good way to listen to TV with background music is by using the phonak TV connector or the GN Resound TV streamer 2 for my NHS HA.

1 Like

@PW76 Make sure the Automatic program is being used then press the little slider button on the bottom right. The current Autosense program name is displayed at the top of the screen.

2 Likes

Thanks Hooby, but that is what I meant by
“I have to go through the menu system to get it to show “Music (Automatic)” ?”
It all takes time.

Ok I don’t understand what you want. What I suggested does not go through any menu options at all.

It depends upon your programming. My autosense music program has less noise reduction that autosense quiet (for example) Hence when it switches in I can notice the increase in aircon noise etc. As you say you can see which austosense program is on by looking via the autosense menu to see which of the autosense programs are active. shrug When doing dedicated music listening playing - however - as mentioned I have a custom program which is much more appropriate.

Sure you CAN use the streamer - which will put you in a streaming program (although some will also have music vs non-music switching in streaming - depends on how it is set up)- or do what I do and set the HAs manually to the TV program which doesn’t change with music. As TV viewing is often for a couple of hours - and I find speech quite intelligible AT HOME with that program - it is no imposition for me.

It takes time to SEE what is happening - not for it to happen. I agree with @Hooby - I don’t really understand what you want… If you can’t tell if it has switched - does it matter?

Sorry Hooby, I accept I did not explain myself very well. I felt that Oz-Tack was suggesting that he could see or hear the Autosense programs change in real-time. However, I had to use the slider (as you said), then the reading would show you the current Autosense program but it would stay on this reading and not show changes as they happen. You could only get an update by going back to “Automatic” and using the slider again.
I note that Oz-Tack has answered my detecting change question with the quote “when it switches in I can notice the increase in aircon noise etc.”