Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 - Is Autosense the only program needed?

When programming my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90, my audiologist showed me a list of features included with Autosense. Underneath this was a list of specific pre-set programs that could be added to myphonak app. He said that there was no point in adding these because Autosense OS 4.0 does it all automatically. This seems like a sensible observation to me, but is it correct?

I left his office with only Autosense programmed into myphonak app. However, a while later the following were automatically added to my ā€œProgram selectionā€ page: Restaurant (Speech in noise), Music and TV (Calm situation). I realize I can use these to change frequency balance, volume, noise reduction, speech focus and dynamic, followed by ā€œSave asā€ to create my own programs. Is any of this necessary if Autosense can do it all automatically? My wife had p90s and was having problems hearing me in a noisy restaurant. She had about 8 programs on her app and tried them all, but none were an improvement over autosense.

Please see my additional post below, where I list videos that cover this subject.

2 Likes

I have AutoSense, Speech in Loud Noise and Telecoil.

1 Like

Autosense might be the only program you need. Depends on your personal requirements. The benefit of saving your own modifications is that your audiologist can incorporate your preferences into the Autosense sub programs next tine you visit themā€¦ and the programs you saved are no longer needed.

In my case I had a special Music program modified to my taste to remove some artifacts I did not like. I had the Audi save this over the Autosense Music program and I also kept it as a manual program. This means I can use it when I play live or with other musicians without it changing to some other Autosense program when it wants to.

Very useful!

However, some people are not so keen on Autosenseā€¦ you will probably get responses from them soonā€¦

2 Likes

I just got the Costco KS10s which are supposedly the same or VERY close to a P90. Got them yesterday. One thing I noticed is that autosense does not change to Music when I listen to music from the environment. I can manually select it and Bang! sounds very different than what autosense was giving me (much more dynamic range in the music). So it seems to me that autosense is not perfect. But it seems pretty good so far. Still need to try in different environments.

One thing I see on Phonakā€™s site is that if you make your own custom programs if you go to get your hearing aids tweaked apparantly it blows away whatever custom ones you added.

https://product-support.phonak.com/s/article/myPhonak-app-What-happens-to-my-custom-programs-after-my-hearing-care-professional-adjust-settings-of-my-hearing-aids?language=en_US

Will my custom settings be deleted after my hearing care professional makes adjustments of my hearing aids or they will remain saved in the app?*

Yes, they will be deleted. You will need to re-create them and modify them using the advanced adjustment in the Remote Control part of the app.

2 Likes

@Jaws

My AutoSense never changes to music either. All other AutoSense programs, it will.

The old Phonak SoundFlow was much better at going into the right programs.

1 Like

Thanks for posting.
Iā€™ve had Paradise P90ā€™s for abut 2 months now. Iā€™m hoping to learn more from what people post here.

(Biggest problem Iā€™ve had is putting the so-tiny wax guards in if I change the domes. I think Iā€™m ok nowā€¦next change Iā€™ll see)

I had the audiologist set up a program for me so I can hear voice better, so Iā€™ll understand better. And I had him turn volume up each time I visited. Iā€™ve used HAā€™s for about 20 years. These i hope will be much better than my last pair.

Dave
Toronto

Experienced HA user; new to KS10 2 weeks ago. Personally I plan to approach things as Hooby describes. For some the intelligence designed into AutoSense might be all that they need/want. I like to have easy options/programs for over riding what AutoSense might do as there are numerous situations in which I can analyze an audio scene better and I know what it is that I want to achieve for my listening. While I hope that AutoSense will be fine/acceptable perhaps 90% of the time, having manual options for those other 10% is worth my time to notice, make adjustments, and save as a program I name. Autosense for me is improvement over my prior Phonak Audeo V auto experience, but there is room for improvement.

For me the thread is of interest to read what additional programs people use (and if it is shared when/why they use them).

1 Like

All my questions seem to have been answered by Dr. Cliff Olson and Peter Mulas of Phonak, in the videos listed below:

Why Automatic Hearing Aids are BETTER! | Phonak Paradise AutoSense OS 4.0
ā€œwww.youtube.com/watch?v=aePyk6Fk4cAā€

AutoSense OS 4.0: Machine learning takes Paradise hearing aids to the next level
ā€œwww.youtube.com/watch?v=AL25WHtPLdYā€

NEW & IMPROVED MyPhonak App Update
ā€œwww.youtube.com/watch?v=9Vj93rjZWCIā€

1 Like

I would appreciate it if you could go into a bit more detail on ā€œI had a special Music program modified to my taste to remove some artifacts I did not likeā€. What do you mean by ā€œremove some artifactsā€? I thought you could only change frequency balance, volume, noise reduction, speech focus and dynamic.

1 Like

Some people take the existing music program in AutoSense and make it one of their manual programs. That way you can select the program when you want.

Then if this music program needs a little adjustment for whatever reason it is easily done by the fitter.

@PW76 I was getting artifacts (warble or flutter) at certain frequencies (and multiples thereof) which were annoying me. ( see some of my posts earlier this year) it was also happening with two Oticon More trials as well although slightly differently of course).
It was eventually solved essentially by removing the anti-feedback functionality and some other tweaks in the Target software that I have forgotten right now. These changes were made to the Autosense Music program and then copied to a custom fitted Music program. I find that Autosense does not always sense music and can switch to other programs, so the fitted Music program works well and remains in use until I change it deliberately. Itā€™s even better now with myPhonak 4.0.4 as it stays in place after any Bluetooth interruptions.
Hope that helps!

PS this is a good resource for eliminating these issuesā€¦
https://forum.hearingtracker.com/uploads/short-url/ppeSGoCq3WzDwj3krBegW24nUjd.pdf

1 Like

I have some additional programs in my Marvels: Restaurant, music, TV, and speech in noise. I canā€™t remember the last time Iā€™ve used any of them. The right control was set for volume and the left control was set for program change. At my first follow up I had him set the left control for volume as well, because I was never using any other programs.

I find that I leave my aids on autosense 95% of the time. Even when streaming music

For me, Speech in 360 is an essential program.

1 Like

I had the Phonak V90 and I was in Autosense 99% of the time.

There was only a single specific situation where I switched to a different program: When I was walking on a narrow street with a group of people, I switched to a 360Āŗ program, so I could hear better the speech behind me without turning my head.

1 Like

I got my Phonak Audeo Paradise P90 paired with an iPhone about seven months ago. I use Autosense most of the time. My HAs and myPhonak App were upgraded a few months ago so I can create Custom Programs. I use one Custom Program in a particular situation where the wind and other noise make Autosense switch to different programs frequently. The Custom Program just deals with the situation as best it can which works better for me. I do have other Custom programs but rarely use them.

As for hearing your partner in a restaurant or noisy situation, I recommend Phonakā€™s Partner Mic. My wife wears it in restaurant/noisy situations and I can easily hear her.

I have moderate-severe hearing loss.

2 Likes

You all have helped me so much.
Iā€™m a new user of the Paradise P90. My hope is that I can use them on ā€œauto senseā€ most of the time.

I have had issues. Iā€™m older; the tiny wax guards are so hard for me to use. If I put them in wrong, then I canā€™t hear!

My audiologist has been understanding. Iā€™m lucky to have his service, knowledge and help.

Just thought I would add more data to the thread.
I have the KS10s (VERY similar to the Phonak p90ā€¦) - My autosense works well - switches to music with music (takes about 5-10 seconds with my settings) as well as auto selecting car, loud, quiet, reverb etc etc. [I also have Telecoil and a custom music program as 2 other custom programs]

My audi changed the autosense music program to a more linear setting and decreased feedback ā€œinterferenceā€ as well as making a custom selectable Music program for my piano playing.

GENERALLY I leave the autosense in place UNLESS listening to the TV (The switching in and out of music auto-program is a pain with all the background music in modern TV shows) - then I choose the TV program which is essentially ā€œspeech in quietā€. With the new firmware the TV program has automatically populated the 4th ā€˜slotā€™ on my manual switch selectable programs so no need to always go back to the easy line app to select it.

I select the custom music program when playing the piano as we have worked harder to fine tune it and the autosense music program is better for the radio with mixed speech and music (rarely speech WITH background music unlike the TV)ā€¦

2 Likes

I quote Oz-Tack ā€œMy autosense works well - switches to music with music (takes about 5-10 seconds with my settings)ā€. How do you know when Autosense is switching between various programs because I cannot detect the changes with my hearing? The Remote Control section of the myphonak app just lists the active program as Automatic and I have to go through the menu system to get it to show ā€œMusic (Automatic)ā€ ?

I find the only good way to listen to TV with background music is by using the phonak TV connector or the GN Resound TV streamer 2 for my NHS HA.

1 Like

@PW76 Make sure the Automatic program is being used then press the little slider button on the bottom right. The current Autosense program name is displayed at the top of the screen.

2 Likes