Phonak Audeo L90 batteries - now last just 9 hours

How long would you expect the rechargeable batteries in Phonak L90s to last? I have mine for a few months and to start with they would indicate that they were running low on battery after about 12-14 hours, even if I had streamed a lot. In the last week or so this has been much shorter – after about 9 hours of use, they signal they are running low, even without any streaming. Has anyone else had this experience? Is there a solution?

I’ve had mine over a year now and i get 17-18 hours. I did notice at first I didn’t get good battery life so we changed the setting for the TV transmitter to manual, instead of automatic (in the Phonak Target software for the Lumity). That made a big difference. I normally have 2 bluetooth connections all day, unless driving.

Sounds like you need a repair. They will have to send it back. Takes 5-10 days.

3 Likes

17-18 hours without a top up? that’s great! Mine are not connected to the TV at all, but are connected for streaming to my phone and iPad.

Bluetooth streaming uses power all the time that the hearing aids are switched on, even if you are not actually doing any streaming.

2 Likes

After 18 months, I am still getting 16-17 hours without a boost. I am connected to my phone all day and stream 1 to 2 hours a day. Agree that you need new batteries.

1 Like

@Hardofhearing1 ,
If you inadvertently have two bluetooth connections (i.e to your phone AND your tablet) activated simultaneously, then it will drain the battery a lot faster. If this is the case just disable one of them. If not - then it is likely your batteries will need replacing under your 3 year warranty. Your audiologist will send them back to Phonak for you - takes about a week. I have done this twice in 4 years at no cost. A good audiologist will also let you have a loaner pair for that time…

4 Likes

Changing heavily decreased battery is something covered by the guarantee, so if it’s still valid, go for it!

2 Likes

How long have you had your earmold? Perhaps there is acoustic feedback that is unnoticeable because of the anti-feedback WhistleBlock, which is switched on continuously and drains a lot of energy.

Please attach your audiogram. Perhaps you have a silicone dome that is broken or simply insufficient to prevent feedback (the latter is less likely because of the acoustic feedback test performed by the audiologist before every fitting visit).

1 Like

I don’t have an ear mould but domes. There is a bit of whistling/ tinkling in one ear, from the hearing aid not from my own hearing: is that what you mean?

I’m afraid I don’t know how to attach my audiogram: what kind of file is needed? It shows typical age-related mild to moderate hearing loss

Continuous whistling? Oh my, this is feedback, it drains battery a lot! Try replacing the dome first. I think the most reliable option is probably an earmold such as the Phonak cShell with AOV.

You’ll need to click on the ‘Forum’ button in the top bar.

1 Like

It is not continuous whistling but an occasional whistle in the left ear only. If that is the cause of the battery issue would it affect the batteries on both sides or just the affected side?

Thank you for the audiogram link.

It’s feedback, certainly not a flat battery or anything, the left side dome or mold is leaking sound out depending on how much movement in the ear canal, chewing, turning your head from side to side, yawning etc can cause it to kick off.

2 Likes

Mechanism:
feedback occurs —> whistling → antifeedback WhistleBlock activate → whistling decline to zero BUT Whistleblock is still activated → still excess battery draining.

If you fix the cause of the feedback, WhistleBlock will not need to be activated and will not drain the battery.

On the affected side it certainly is, but Lumities are coupled (e.g. StereoZoom 2.0, Smart Speech, Motion Sensors etc.), so probably on the other side too. However, I am not sure about opposite side.

1 Like

WhistleBlock is independent, each side can be adjusted, no feedback= no WhistleBlock, it’s very little battery use anyway.
Phonak rechargeable batteries are a known issue, they don’t last long regardless, master slave streaming is another massive battery hog, thank god they have this sorted with LE Audio now.

3 Likes

My L90s will be two years old in a few weeks. The battery life on both started declining dramatically over the past 3 months. They used to reliably last from 6 am to 11 pm or later (17+ hours) including 1-2 hours of streaming from my phone. Recently I would start getting the beeps around 7 or 8 pm (13 hours or so) even without much streaming.

We sent them out under warranty and I just got them back yesterday. I’m assuming they replaced the batteries in them. Today I used them from 7 am and streamed for at least an hour and they are currently at 18% and 33% - 17 hours later.

Nice work, yeah there’s a few variables involved,but still it’d be nice for a guaranteed 24 hours at least from Phonak, the Signia do 40 and Oticon quote 24 (Real) and 20 for (Intent) Resound 30 (Omnia)

1 Like

That is very interesting, thank you. If the whistle disappears entirely, does that mean that
a) the cause of the whistle may still be present but Whistleblock is suppressing it or
b) the problem causing of the whistle is solved.
That is, if Whistleblock is being activated would one hear at least some whistling?

When you say they have this sorted with LE Audio, do you mean that replacement Phonak L90 batteries have that upgraded type of bluetooth?

I interpreted it as: Future versions (infinio and beyond) will not have the battery consumption issues due to BT Classic when they are paired to devices using LE Audio.

WH

1 Like

Under normal conditions the batteries should last 2 years, get replaced under warranty, last 2 more years. Get new aids every 4 years. Not a bad schedule.