Phonak app update / Autosense

I wouldn’t hear an atom bomb if it dropped in my back yard so I doubt I’m going to hear any clicking. But I have a new pair of paradise up on order so I’ll listen for it

That noise reduction or impulse noise management. Not sure of the proper Phonak terms.

I haven’t found the need to touch the volume yet for any reason. But I do know that if I needed to change the volume while steaming I can either use the volume control on the side of my phone or the volume control on the app. Again I was trialing the aids so my main concerns was hearing using auto sense in different situations. I think the only time I used the button in the aid was to cut off streaming and go back to autosense. So I’m still learning. Which is why I said when I get the new aids I’ll try harder to see if I can notice autosense clicking when it changes programs. I may have been overwhelmed by how much I was hearing with the trial aids. I mean normally there’s a lot of blank stares on my face or answers coming out of my mouth that are totally unrelated to the questions being asked

I have Paradise P90-R’s. The upgraded app (v 4.0.4) is very slow to connect initially, but once connected, I find changing programs using the app almost instant - much faster than using the aids themselves. My biggest gripe is that the app frequently won’t perform an initial connection at all. Then I have to “Forget Devices” and repair the aids to the app again to get them to connect.

But I have major praise for the Bluetooth and wireless features. Phone calls are as clear as a bell. (Samsung J8). For TV, my wife can hear at her volume via the normal speakers, and I can hear perfectly via the TV Connector’s wireless connection. Also, I have a Roger Select plugged into the audio-out of my PC and can hear YouTube videos perfectly. For small conferences with no sound system, I place Roger on the presenter’s table, with outstanding results. Overall, top marks except for the app’s initial connection.

1 Like

I have Marvel aids. The update left me in Restaurant from Friday day evening. Until I saw this thread (thank goodness) I would have had no idea.

That is most certainly not an improvement for me.

1 Like

Zebras, again a fascinating insight. Having lost an aid I have been looking for BT search Apps.
I found one, Wunderfound, very simple. It quickly identified all BT transmitters nearby and estimates their range. It shows LE Left and LE Right as well as two Tile devices.
Range estimates are not brilliant, 2m to my left ear and 3 to my right! If you select the sought item it then presents a % strength zone. Simple and effective.

But I also have Bluetooth Scanner. This is a completely different league. It gives full technical details of each transmitter with the top being RB and identified as Sonova. I will let anyone interested explore the data. Searching for RB shows a second by second dB loss of - 4 to - 6 dB. It also has the option of sound (if it is a different device and you have one available). The LE dB loss shows around - 50.

I have not experienced Autosense (now called Automatic) clicking when it changes programs. It just does it in the most ham-fisted manner.

Good spot. I went into the programs and found other changes.

Automatic (AutoSense OS) delving deeper it has Normal situation (automatic) and then the option to make changes.
In addition to TV there is a setting TV1 Calm Situation It certainly makes my keyboard operation louder and there is a noticeable background noise too. Selection Autosense cancels this.
I found also a setting for Cleaning Reminder.

While it has been reported that the new ap was to improve the performance of the Paradise, the update did impact my Marvels. I was not aware that an update was taking place and due to the settings on my phone apparently it happened automatically. I noticed because my aids would not work correctly and I had to “forget” my devices and reinstall them to resolve the problem. It would be nice if Phonak would notify users via e-mail before an upgrade so I’d know it was coming. I’m not a fan of software engineers making changes in the appearance of the software I use so just getting used to seeing the “automatic” program where I used to see Autosense is annoying. I generally use autosense most of the time so I have not noticed any performance improvements. Like others I find the connection time when I open the ap to be very slow. I also have issues maintaining bluetooth connectivity when streaming from my I phone or apple watch and have not noticed an improvement in that (not sure any was intended with the new ap). Can anyone explain what the “upgraded” ap was intended to improve or fix?

Apple iPhone have a setting that means my App’s get updated without me having to say ‘yes’. Maybe your phone has that option. My old iPhone, I had to update manually.

Has anyone tried TV1?

Have my new naida paradise ultra power and I am not hearing any clicking sound as autosense switches programs. Not saying it’s not there. Im just not hearing anything

I’ve never heard clicking sounds either. I don’t notice AutoSense switching programs ever.

My response regarding to the clicking sound on autosense was to another individual who said he could hear autosense switch programs because he could hear it click. I said I had my paradise aids in order and would try to listen closely for any clicking. I now have them and don’t hear any clicking. But my hearing stinks so I’m glad to see that others are commenting that they don’t hear any clicking from autosense either. Personally I think autosense does a pretty good job

Yeah AutoSense is silent, no sounds to let you know what program AutoSense has decided to use, which is how it should be, I mean
could you imagine how that would drive you nuts having them kick off all day every time it changed !
A lot people, including myself do notice when it changes tho, AutoSense doesn’t always gets it right for some unfortunately.

Unfortunately that’s what one individual was saying was happening

I was not aware Phonak came out with a new app and certainly not 5.0. Are we talking an upgraded App that saves individual custom mode setting within MyPhonak app? Or are we talking minor changes? Last my Audi told me Phonak was taking there sweet time to make an App upgrade changes and that individual custom mode setting (by HA users) could not be permanently saved when aid are re-paired or set to shop, etc.

New upgrade not called 5.0 appears to only add features for new paradise model. Such as custom mode settigs that can be saved. I haven’t tried it yet

In myPhonak app, l don’t like AutoSence. For example in my room with ceiling fan and window a/c running, l hear the humming from the a/c and AutoSence says it’s noisy environment but doesn’t change program. In Target, l set my aids to the Speech in Noise program so l hear no humming noise. Nice to have the aids automatically switch to tv connector when the tv is on.

I think in the real world you’re supposed to hear the humming of the ac and with time the brain pushes it into background noise and eventually you don’t notice it at all although it’s still there