Oticon Xceed distortion

Hi, I have a rather new pair of Oticon Xceed’s. I have the Genie2 2022 software. I have found some formulas I am running and they all seem pretty great but my only complaint is there is distortion I cannot get rid of when louder noises occur or maybe when a combination of noises occur, not even necessarily loud. Can anyone tell me how to eliminate this distortion? Thanks I’m advance

1 Like

You could try the MPO settings, distortion/clipping can happen if the settings aren’t quite right, a bit of a lift in the right frequency or even across the board can help.

Would I be opening up the possibility of harming my ears by raising the MPO?

Yes and no, so no if you only want to increase by a few dB at a time just to see if this is indeed the issue, and yes if you decided to increase the MPO by like more then your UCL and use the HA for a prolonged time like this.

I increased the MPO’s. The average is about 125 across the board. But two of them wouldn’t go any higher. I probably won’t be in a noisy situation until tomorrow to be able to tell if it helped. Does the compression sound like a cyborg siren when it goes into effect? I hear the siren effect and I hear distortion for various frequencies. Not sure if they are one of the same issue or 2 separate issues. I believe these are the most powerful aids Oticon makes, can’t imagine they’d be maxed out. My reserve gain is at 7.5db. I could likely scale that back to 5db.

There’s the Xceed SP and Xceed UP so it all depends on which one you have as to of you have the most powerful. SP is lower in power compared to the UP.

You could try a different fitting formula is the problem exists? The reasoning behind, some fitting formulas allow for more MPO raise then others.

I have the Xceed UP 1 BTE. I have played with all the formulas and they all distort and make the cyborg alarm sound. Otherwise they sound great until I get into situations with noise.

But have you tried raising the MPO in all the fitting formulas?

I just did that a little bit ago. Tomorrow I will be out and able to tell if it helped at all. I had raised the MPO in highs previously because the highs were low in all the formulas, so I went into each program and brought the MPO’s up in all the formulas in each program I had running. So maybe its in the lows. But the lows were really loud so it didn’t seem necessary but I’ll try it.

I was just a little concerned because it says use safety at 130db, and these formulas are spitting out high 130’s MPO on the low end frequencies where most of my loss is. But it’s worth a shot

Don’t worry about this at the moment, it’s just for a short time to test, you won’t be blowing your ear drums, that warning does come up for any SP or UP HA, I don’t see your audiogram, can you post it up, this will help everyone give advice as well.

@jte

I’ve always had 138 dB MPO on my bad ear. I’m okay with that.

If I put my bad ear in my good ear, then my good ear is blown off.

I’m sometimes not awake when I connect my Aids in the morning and put them in the wrong ears!

Well that would certainly wake you up, a bit like the old splash of cold water on your face.

Yes! I’m amazed at how painful it is, in terms of loudness of sound but it’s not painful in my bad ear!

1 Like

@jte

Your hearing loss is actually quite good, as in its severe in the lows and moderate in the highs.

Your MPO must be quite high at the start anyway especially as you say you can’t higher it anymore.

My left ear is worse then yours and my MPO is only 138 dB.

The MPO on the Xceed UP has to deal with people who have a hearing loss well over 100 dB and the MPO can deal with that so I really don’t think the MPO is your issue.

The frequency range of the Xceed UP is only 100 Hz to 5300 Hz so you won’t be getting the highs anyway unless you using the feature which lowers the highs but then the highs end up being in your worse area of your audiogram. I can never remember what the feature is called.

You might be better off with the Xceed SP as the frequency range for that is 100 Hz to 6500 Hz and then you won’t have to use the feature that lowers the highs into your lows (whatever that feature is called).

The more powerful the Aid, the less is reaches the highs. You could easily get away with a less powerful Aid.

I personally don’t like (I think it’s called Speech Rescue, I think!) as it sounds so weird and less clear and more distorted.

I’ve read on this forum that hearing aids cope better when you either have a ski slope loss or a flat loss. I’ve never experienced this as my hearing loss is not worse in the lows.

Apparently people who have your type of hearing loss struggle more as the hearing aids are not really set up for that type of loss.

1 Like

I think I’m kind of committed to these aids, it’s been well over the 30 day return period and I don’t wanna see the Audi anymore. He’s a month out to just get an adjustment. I kind of wish I just woulda stuck with the brio5 from Costco, it was half the price and sounded just as distorted. I have all automatics off. No speech rescue, no noise reduction, everything as far as I’m aware is off. And I’m running pinna Omni on all the formulas. They all sound great, until there a combination of noises. I upped the MPO +5db across the board on the 4 formulas I have programmed on genie, I’ll try it out today.

@jte

This might help you? I would say you have a reverse slope loss.

And every Audi I’ve been to says the same thing. They act like they are gonna fix my life, then when it comes time they just get frustrated and give up and push me out the door, tell me to deal with it. They all blame it on my “reverse slope”. This was never an issue until the digital age. My quality of life gets worse each time I buy digital hearing aids. I used to be really social, now I don’t even want to go out anymore. I miss my analog hearing aids I grew up with. They were fantastic, simple, warm, inviting. Digital seems harsh, abrasive, too many options, too much to go wrong.

1 Like

Ok great, I’ll be home in like an hour and will dig into that material. Thank you so much, you have been very helpful

1 Like