Oticon Xceed distortion

@jte

I’m no expert but have you set your Aids to Linear? I’ve never tried it but apparently Linear is similar but not the same to analog?

I’ll tag @Abarsanti as he has a reverse slope loss and may have more info that you can read? He also wears Oticon as well.

Yes one formula I am running is the DSE-LIN (linear). The DSL5 is warmer sounding honestly. But either way, the DSE, DSE-LIN, DSL5, +VAC all sound good after I tweak them to my liking, then they all distort. So I had noticed the high frequency MPO’s were substantially lower so I was increasing those. The lows were running hot so I didn’t think they needed increased. When I think distortion I generally think mids and highs, I don’t think of lows really. And I’ve found myself lowering the gains a tad on the lows in all the formulas oticon provides. So I really didn’t think it’s the lows distorting but maybe I’m wrong.

They were clipping a lot previously, until you suggested I run the insitu last weekend, that took care of the clipping, now it’s just distortion

1 Like

Ok this is where the issue will be, looking at your audiogram the distortion is down low, I’d start by lowering the overall gain between 500Hz and 1500Hz, as this is where your touching profound loss, the HAs will be pumping high power to make up for the loss, dropping the MPO here in that same band would also be releasing some *pressure" that could be causing that distortion.

So you think I should start with just lowering the MPO’s at 500-1500hz? Or the gains? Or both?

Just try the overall gain for now, only one thing at a time, you need to find the issue, once you have done this trial it and only then do you try the MPO.
@Zebras has given good advice about the frequency lowering, don’t use it unless you know your getting the benefits, as it doesn’t work for everyone,it can cause all sorts of issues (audible artifacts,warbling sounds etc)

When you say overall you mean 50db, 65db & 80db? Select all three and from 50hz to 1500hz reduce the gains?

Yes that’s right, you could if you wanted to, narrow it down within the gains, but just for now try the overall, it’s probably in 65dB to 80dB but one thing at a time.

Gotcha, alright I will try that out. I reduced that range by 5 for starters. I may not have an idea til later today or tomorrow at work if that helped. I will definitely get back in touch after I see what I notice. Thank you very much

Excellent idea, always good to trial your adjustments for a day or two before moving on, obviously some adjustments you make you can tell straight away that you’ve made a wrong turn!

So I decreased the overall gains in the 500-1500hz. So what I noticed is obviously that’s the range I need the most help, so now I can’t really hear much, I was talking to my neighbor and was really struggling to hear him. And now the hi’s are overwhelming, like abrasive and harsh overwhelming without the 500-1500hz presence. I’m just thinking, I’m no expert, just a consumer, but could I increase the MPO’s on the 500-1500hz to help with the distortion issue so I can keep the satisfactory gains?

So how much did you lower by? 1 - 2dB is really all you need to do to begin with, for testing purposes.

But you noticed the distortion wasn’t there?

This doesn’t make much sense, again how much did you lower those frequencies by, sounds like you went a bit much, of course the thing here is, as you’ve probably noticed you can’t make adjustments in one frequency without changes been made automatically by the software in others, so if you lower the gain in the lows the higher frequencies will lower, but again only in certain frequencies not all.

So try going back to your settings you began with and just lower the G80 by 2 dB or so (which is for louder sounds) and then check, remember that the lower frequencies are your “Bass” boom boom ; )

I reduced the overall gains 5db. I couldn’t really tell if the distortion went away or not tho. I will try just 2db

So I represcribed the settings, set it where I wanted it, then reduced the overall gains between 500-1500hz by 2. The distortion is still there. What do ya think I should try now? I feel like it’s coming out of the hi/hi-mids. Seems like the s’s & ch’s and anything that resembles those sounds. The hinges on my screen door. Not entirely sure.

Oh that’s no good, ok so it’s another issue,it does seem to be the high frequencies when you mentioned the sh , but it shouldn’t be, your not pumping them out, but hey you gotta try them, can you confirm what set up you have with the molds your using, vent size, as well as a screen shot of your programming, also can you confirm that you’ve never had distortion issues on any of your other HAs.

If you use the speech banana you can see it’s the higher frequencies for a lot of speech, high frequencies give the clarity, so finding a sweet spot without distortion is what you have to do.

Are you also using all the features like noise block, whistle block etc, as turning these off can help pinpoint an issue.

I do remember having distortion issues on my last 2 pairs of awful digital hearing aids, but they were resolved quickly, not sure what that audi did, but he’s no longer around. I do have a pair of Phonak Naida Q-50 UP, I’m almost wondering if they are compatible with NOAHLink and Target if maybe I can compare data, altho it’s a completely different manufacturer so it may not help.

I don’t want any features, unless if they will help with the distortion. I want/need to hear everything. For me it’s a safety thing, I work in construction, if something is falling overhead I need to be alert. Or if a guy is driving a grade-all behind me and can’t see me I need to be alert. So I don’t want any automatics or open sound navigator features the software has. I just want to hear everything. That was the selling point of these aids. But when I was at my family’s house saturday night all I could hear was distortion when we were all trying to socialize. And I noticed at work last week often I would hear like a cyborg siren going off from time to time. Probably overload of trying to process something. But DSL5 seems to be the one I favor, but I can get DSE or +VAC or DSE-LIN sounding good too, but they all had the same issue and DSL5 has been my default. I have those 4 formulas running on my 4 programs right now.

Even sometimes when I’m laying in bed watching TV I could hear the siren sounding or distortion. Otherwise the aids are great. The wind minimizing is superb, the quality is great, the way the spaces sound are great. After Zebras showed me how to run insitu they sounded better than what the audi set me up with, I was really starting to like them

I do find myself increasing the overall gain on the highs on the right side, as you can see it’s above the target a few db. Do you think I should increase the MPO’s while I increase the gains? Might that be an issue?

Well at least we know for sure that it can be resolved, just got to work out what it is.

Target yes, but no for the Noahlink wireless, you’ll need the iCube ll to program them, it’s the easiest way.

It could be helpful, you can check the band’s and each channel to see what dB level they were set at, also what formula/rationale was used.

Exactly, so you want everything turned off so you can see if it’s one of these that is causing the distortion, frequency shifting can do this, Oticon calls it speech rescue disable it.

Give a try, you need to try just to see if this the issue, honestly there’s a lot of different things that can cause distortion.

Can I make one other suggestion, get then set we’re your close to where you want them, and then ask your local audiologist clinic to do REM for you, it’s possibly something as simple as this!