Oticon Streamer Pro Issues

Yeah Seb, I did some reading on the web and I think it’s just the way it is. Maybe I’ll get lucky and the new Streamer will work. If it doesn’t, then I guess I won’t be doing any streaming which isn’t a big deal really since people without hearing aids can’t do it anyways…lol.

You can always get a different phone.

Heresy!!!

Replacement streamer came in and it works fine. Actually, I’m sure there was nothing wrong with the first one. Turns out after you connect via Bluetooth you have to push the little button on the side of the Streamer to get it to receive Bluetooth. I’m not sure of the purpose of adding an extra step but whatever, it works now.

I just noticed this thread now and thought I’d join in. I wear one Oticon Alta. I’ve had problems with my streamer since I first got it back in October. It won’t stay paired with my iPad or my cell phone, which is just a plain cell phone, nothing fancy. My audi has “reconnected” it again a few times, but I’ve just given up. (I was aware of the need to push the button on the side of the streamer to make it work.) My audi actually said that Oticon has been having lots of problems with pairing their devices to Apple devices. She thinks Oticon is coming out with a new streamer later this year and, if that’s the case, will give me one free of charge at that time. Honestly, it’s not a huge issue for me because I don’t use my cell phone with my aided ear anyway, and I rarely listen to music on my iPad because my toddlers keep me too busy to enjoy much time to myself;)

I’m not sure if it makes a difference, but my Streamer Pro is the “1.1” version. Im not using it because I’m exchanging my Alta Pros for Phonak Audeo Q90’s in 2 weeks anyways, but the streamer seemed to work fine with my iPhone 4S when I was at the Audiologist Clinic.

I’ve had the Streamer Pro 1.1 for about 3 months now and thought I’d post some experiences for others. I love the thing and I use it constantly for volume adjustments, muting, phone, streaming music, videos, etc. I can go jogging and listen to music without having to take aids out for earbuds (love it!). I also have the Bluetooth mic and that puppy really works great, especially when one-on-one in a restaurant. I just mute the aids and I can converse perfectly.

All that being said, I don’t think its a very well engineered device (and I’m on my second one). The biggest issue for me is that the Streamer can’t be available to receive calls on my smartphone + home phone AND also be streaming from my laptop at the same time. Though Oticon says this should work, I doesn’t. I took a drive out to Oticon in Somerset NJ last week and worked on the problem with one of the support engineers (FYI - they’re all very nice and accommodating there). He thought it might be that the laptop was connecting as if it were a phone, and the Streamer can’t connect to more than 2 phone devices concurrently. That sounded plausible, so when I got home I tried connecting 2 laptops and a smartphone. No dice. I sent an e-mail to the Oticon engineer with the info and he said that they did further testing after I left and came up with the same results I did. He was placing an inquiry with the home office in Denmark, but I doubt that will come to anything. So, my phone adapter is no longer useful to me.

I often times have other issues such as it refuses to connect to any paired device, necessitating rebooting the device and/or repairing, or, it will only connect to the phone function (as opposed to the phone + media) on my smartphone. Sometimes, when initiating music streaming, I get a double green light which, according to the documentation, should only happen when a phone call is in progress. The double green is strange because the volume jumps to a significantly higher level than normal (which, IMO, is too low when using Bluetooth as opposed to being hard wired with an audio cable), but is somewhat distorted. Fixing it usually requires a reboot or re-pairing. Occasionally the streamer loses connections to the aids, which, again, requires re-pairing. Both of the Streamer Pros I’ve had have displayed all of the issues listed, so its not an isolated incident.

Its too bad, because this thing is really a great tool and it makes my life a lot easier. If they do come out with a newer version, I hope they deal with some of this stuff, as well as provide the ability to stream in stereo!

Hope this info helps.
Jeff

Jeff,

Look for one of the older 1.4 version Streamers. They don’t seem to have any of the problems your facing.

I have the old streamer 1.4 and I have had it since the firmware was 1.2 and I have paired it to android and now IPhone and I have found that it has worked the best with the IPhone. But I do have issues with my streamer connection correctly when I want to listen to music from my IPhone. Most of the time I have turn off Bluetooth on the IPhone then turn it back on and the music works.
I will be getting new custom Altra Pros and the new streamer in about 3 weeks so I guess I will see what new fun times I have. I also have the TV connect and I always have issue with it connecting to the streamer. But that could be due to the number of pairings that I have.

Yesterday I received my new aids with the streamer pro 1.2, I also have the phone connect 2, and the TV connect 1. I do have an IPhone 5s with the oticon app. So far all I can say is wow I am loving it. Now with that let me say I have had a few times the app did not connect, but doing my troubleshooting I realize that is due to me being connected to the TV connect while having the Bluetooth disable on the IPhone then enabling the Bluetooth on the IPhone the streamer did not connect to the IPhone until I disconnected the TV connect. Then the IPhone connected to the streamer and I was able to use the app and reconnect to the TV connect. That more than likely is due to the firmware of the streamer. I can live with that issue. I am not sure how long the battery is going to last but I do love the fact that by checking my IPhone app I can see how much battery my streamer has left, and I also love the fact that I can turn the streamer off when I do not need it.

I have found an issue with the streamer pro that I do not understand and I have emailed Oticon about it. I have the phone connect 2 paired to my streamer pro and it works great but when I pair my streamer pro to my computer I lose my pairing to my phone connect and the only way I have been able to get the pairing to work again is to clear all pairings of the streamer pro then repair to my IPhone, my phone connect, and my TV connect. And not repair my computer to the streamer pro. So the only way that I can do this is to use the cable to connect to my computer and that is a pain seeing my computer connects from the back of the case and the case is under my desk.

My issue is that the streamer pro sees my computer as a phone so if I have connected it to the streamer then my phone connect will not connect. I have learned to disable the streamer pro in device manager on my computer until I need to use it, then when I need to use it I disconnect the power to my phone connect then enable my streamer on my computer. It may not be the easiest way to do it but it works.

seb, i opened the streamer fine ,but really see nothing to slide. there is a thin silver thing but it does not move

I opened the streamer fine , but see nothing to slide . the slider button is gone.There is a stationary silver piece . What can I do?

I just got new Oticon Alta2 Pros with the streamer. Install went fine for TV, mic, and iPhone (phone) but not for streaming music from either Pandora or Amazon Prime from the phone. Music will play fine on the phone, but when I turn the streamer on the music stops on the phone but is not picked up by the steamer. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Hi SierraSam;

I have the Oticon Alta2s, not the Pros, but the streamer is the same. I, too, have had some issues. What I’ve found is that the streamer “remembers” the last device it was used with. For example, when I’ve used the streamer with my iPad, to stream music or watch a video, if I then later in the day try to use the streamer with my iPhone, it won’t connect. The only solution I’ve found so far is to turn off Bluetooth with the device I’m no longer using so that the streamer will “see” the device I currently want to use. I saw my audiologist yesterday and she had no idea what the issue was. It’s a tad annoying to be turning Bluetooth off and on all the time on each device, so hopefully someone else on the board will have a better idea. If not, just know that you’re not alone. I didn’t have this issue with the streamer 2 models ago.

Kerry

I too have some issues with the streamer pro with music on my IPhone, so when I am going to be streaming music from the phone I first enable the streamer then I open my Oticon app and from there I select music, not the music program but the music Icon across the top of the app. Then I open my music and start listening to it. I know this is more complicated but at least it works for me. I believe it has to do with the fact that I have two devices connected to the IPhone at the same time most of the time. My streamer and my activity tracker. An when I normally listen to music is when I am tracking my walking too.

I went back and read all prior posts and thanks to that I found the solution. The little button on the streamer beneath the up and down toggles. If I am in phone mode and want to listen to Pandora from the phone, I just press that. Telecoil might come up first but if you keep pressing it (sounds like my mom on the computer) the music finally pops up. Thanks for your advice. I am now trying to figure out if there is anyway I can activate the mute button without going back to the audi. From what I read they can activate it but she did not. Would be really handy to have when watching TV. Literature says you can do it by simultaneously pressing the up and down volume on the streamer but that does not work and I think it is because it is not activated on the hearing aids-shows as optional.

Does anyone else get a background hum noise when streaming TV? Do I have something turned up too high or too low? It is only annoying when there is no speech because when there is speech the hum is not noticeable-the sound must mask it. Thanks.

Hum may be 60 cycle leakage which might indicate a defective unit or the power converter. More likely is that it is close to something that radiates. Try moving the transmission unit around to see if it goes away or changes.