Oticon Opn S 1 rechargeable malfunction

@Volusiano: MrV once again gets top marks for his listening skills! The details of his summary are exactly right! Because I don’t possess his level of technical knowledge, I’m not able to speculate as to why the More devices take different batteries than the OPN S, but they apparently do. And it does seem logical to me that they would require a reset in Genie2 for the calibration of the battery meter and proper charging.

Even after the batteries were correctly installed by my audiologist, however, I was experiencing a funny issue: the HA LEDs would fail to turn green when the batteries were fully charged, but remained in their amber “charging” status. If I removed the devices from the charger and reinserted them into their charging cradles, however, the LEDs would immediately show green. My audiologist sent my devices and the charger back to Oticon for testing. They never did tell either me or my audiologist the results of their analysis, but my More1s have been easily lasting through my 18+ hour days with about 20% charge remaining by the time I turn in and put my aids back in the charger.

1 Like

I am still not sure if the battery drains on it’s own or the aid is draining it while it is off.
I guess I could switch them back and forth to see if drains in one faster than the other, but don’t have the energy to watch them for six months at a time.
That’s about how long it takes to drain below chargeable with the charger.
I have new More’s and don’t use the S’s much, I’ve zapped 1 battery twice already, still going strong.
It seems to last the same as the other, 18 hrs or so with not too much streaming or phone calls.

Mike

I don’t see the difference between the More and S Batteries, they are visually the same and both 3.7v,
Could be a little higher capacity I guess.
I can’t find the exact specs or aftermarket batteries either.

Mike

I thought the WORST of my troubles would be rechargeable aids that die on a long, international flight (from hotel through airport, flight, Customs, yada yada).

But with my travel plans seemingly dependent on a HUGE variable outside my control, I now see almost a bigger issue with these rechargeables: the lithium ion battery charging less and less and less, till one fine day it won’t last beyond 60-seconds or a couple hours. Hm. That would make me uncomfy wondering when such a day would arrive. I’d likely end up ALWAYS having a pair of ordinary, size 13 battery aids as backup on my person.

On top of which I may never know if the issue is with the built-in battery, the charging station, HA firmware, or some combination of everything… The thought of being without my primary set of EARS for an open-ended amount of time is not appealing. I just went 3 weeks without my Phonak Marvels as they were shipped off for repair and all the Fed-X WEEK-LONG deliveries in between.

For CURRENT users of the NEWER rechargeables (Oticon More, Phonak Paradise) what are your experiences here? I ask cuz in the coming year I’ll likely investigate new aids. For some reason it seems all these are now rechargeables. Let me know if I have that wrong.

Almost 3 years on my OPN-S and 1 year on More and so far no rechargeable battery degradation.
Still getting 16-17 hrs. with a few hrs. of calls or streaming.

I do use my OPN-S’ as backup on late nights watching the tube until 2am.

Ah, so you have two pairs then? Is the sound quality about the same on these two models? That is another goal of mine: to get aids + backups that are IDENTICAL. If they were both rechargeables, it would seem to add the safety of overlapping power. But for that matter, if both required size 13 batteries, that’d be just fine, too!

The difference between my OPN-S and the More is negligible.
Switching off for late night TV is no issue.

Mike

My crude DIY battery charger/starter;

2 Likes

I picked this up on Amazon, only $7.99
I used a copper slug to take up the difference in length.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PRJRHHB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This product appears to have all the right specs…but not yet available on Aliexpress:

https://detail.1688.com/offer/674301166796.html

Brilliant idea. I purchased a set of More 1 with charger on an online auction (less than have the price of the charger itself so worth the risk) and when I got them they both flashed orange in the charger. I found this thread and ended up using a 18650 3.7V battery that I have for some flashlights. I taped wires to either end and held to the More battery for 60 seconds and they both come back to life. I have been testing them for several days and they stay charged a long time. Now to get them programmed. Thanks to all who contributed to this idea.

3 Likes

I tried to put my More R battery in series with a 18650 3.7V battery in it’s charger but it did not do anything. I was successful just using the battery itself and some wires. Did this charger trick work for you? Maybe the battery was the issue, you are using a copper pipe? Thanks

Can you please explain to me how to take the batteries out of the aids? Would you be willing to try ad charge mine if I send the aids to you? I’m from Aus as well. Thanks

You can find the way in this video:

1 Like

sorry I havent been on in a while. The video below is good. I didn’t have the tool but used a wire from a stiff wire brush. The hole is smaller than a paper clip. Were you successful? Did you find a new battery? I think I need to replace one of mine as it crashed mid through the day.

I could not open my aids, they don’t have the door (drawer) as in the video.

Thank you for your assistance, but it does not work with my aids. They don’t have a door to open, in any way

1 Like

Next to the red or blue dot, there is a pin. You need special pin or needle to push the pin in order to open the door/cover. Once the pin is push out, you need a clip to pull the tiny pin out and the cover will open and you will see the battery. Your HA is using rechargeable battery.

1 Like

As long as you have the right tools, you can easily open the battery door, you can also watch the tutorial on how to open the battery door in Oticon software。

1 Like