Oticon On vs Oticon Companion

@flashb1024: Is this as opposed to “foe” or “fum” tuning them, :zap: Flash :zap:? (*Don’t blame me! There was a troll what lived under the Duchess’ drawbridge , wasn’t there?)

1 Like

Yeah, and you’re trolling me!!.
I fixed it Fieally!
:orangutan:

Oticon sent me a notification to join the beta test of the next update to the companion app I tried it but went back to the released version due to no watch app. But they are making improvements to the equalizer that was the only thing I took time to notice. As soon as I realized there wasn’t the Watch app I deleted it went back to the released version of the app.

Update the beta does have an Apple Watch app, it just doesn’t support any of the watch faces as for as I can tell.

How did you get the notification to join the beta? In the app or email?

It was my in the latest companion app notification on my iPhone

1 Like

You mentioned the relatively new Oticon Companion app. My audi suggested to try it out since Oticon ON is at least for 4 years still in v 2.5.0 and Oticon has apparently no intentions to update it.
I ware the miniRITE S1 and have an iPhone SE 3 with the latest IOS 16.5.
The Companion disconnected from my hearing aids every time the iPhone went into “sleep mode”. This never happened with the Oticon ON.
Second, if I walked away from my iPhone while I had an open app running, the Companion would not reconnect to the hearing aids unless I would close the app and reopen it. The Oticon ON always reconnected by itself.
Oticon apparently only redesigned the looks, i.e. I didn’t find anything “new” in the Companion, nor any “improvements”. I deleted it and reinstalled the Oticon ON and, like before, haven’t had any issues since.
Has anyone else had some experience with the Oticon Companion?

2 Likes

The user you replied to, is no longer active on this forum.
But, to your comment, I had the exact same experience, and gave the Companion a 1 star review on the google play store.
Oticon support replied they were still working on fine tuning the app, but that was months ago, and I’m happy with the ON app.
The only reason to keep the Companion would be if your HCP uses remote programming, because they integrated that function in the Companion app.
If needed, you can have both apps installed, and only use Companion for that purpose.

2 Likes

The Companion app has just been updated.
You can now check whether you have the latest firmware on your aids.
Don’t know if you can directly update the aids via the app though.
Update: yes, it seems possible to update the firmware of your aids via the app.
Great improvement.

2 Likes

Another update of the companion app has been released.
1.2.1 including the sound equalizer.

You can directly equalize your hearing program. Works like a charm.

1 Like

Sadly it seems Oticon ON app will be discontinued next Thuesday judging from Oticon medical post on linkedin platform.

The Oticon On app will be retired in September 2023 and you’ll be notified to install the Oticon Companion on your smartphone.

Here is the full update from Oticon.

This is the content from the Website:

Oticon ON App Discontinued

The Oticon ON smartphone app has served Oticon users well for several years, but it is time to say goodbye. ON app is not compatible with the upcoming iPhone iOS17 release, so it will soon be phased out.

What does this mean for you?

8th September 2023 - All ON app users will receive a notification to move to the new Oticon Companion app*.

Expected 12th September - Apple phone users

When iPhone iOS 17 is released on the expected date of 12th September, the ON app will close down and users will be directed to install the Oticon Companion app*.

31st October - Android phone users

The ON app will close down on Android platforms, and users will be directed to install the Oticon Companion app*.

*Please note that some older Oticon hearing aids, namely Opn & Siya, may require a firmware update to version 6.1 for compatibility with Companion.

Companion App 1.2.1
The Oticon Companion app is compatible with all Oticon hearing aids, right back to Opn (FW 6.1 required). In August we released Companion 1.2.0, which includes great new features for Oticon Real users including Hearing Fitness, Remember Volume Settings and Sound Equalizer.

Oticon Companion 1.2.1 were released on 7th September with the following updates:
• Users can enjoy the new features of Oticon Real without having to reinstall the app.
• Remaining battery time is shown in hours: minutes.
• Connection and stability improvements.

1 Like

Companion 1.2.1 cannot connect my pair of Xceed. On app (as a Companion 1.2.0) connects without any problems.

Thanks PV…I mean firenzel, lots of technological information there for the Oticonians

And another quick update 1.2.2

1 Like

My Xceeds connect to Companion again! :tada:

2 Likes

Does anyone have this function working in their app?

I believe that it is only possible with the Real aids with the latest firmware update.

If you use an iPhone, look on the Accessibility function, or swipe up from bottom of screen to open built-in helper for functions on your hearing aid! An excellent alternative to the proprietary app!

My Xceed on firmware 8 connect easily with Oticon ON. IPhone update to iOS 16.6.1
Xceed has problem with Companion when iPhone on OS 16.6.1
Out of range and connect back easily. No problem of connectivity.

Yes, I have the “HearingFitness” function working. It shows me my daily/weekly/monthly wearing times.
My Companion app is version 1.2.1. I’m using Real aids, firmware 1.0.1. according to the app.

There is one day in the last 9 days for which the app says “data not linked”, even though I was wearing the aids for several hours that day and had the app running most of the time. But other than that, the function has worked for me since I first discovered it.