Oticon More vs Phonak Paradise for speech recognition in background noise?

SpudGunner, this has not been my experience. I hear, or at least think I can hear, the direction of sounds and seem to be able to judge distance as well, both with my Brio2s and P90s. I wouldnā€™t think it would be different with other HAs.

Is this my imagination, a placebo effect? Perhaps there is significant variability in this perception from person to person? I hadnā€™t really thought about it before.

I think SpudGunner used a double negative here -> ā€œIt does NOT mean thatā€ -> the HAs are not conducive ā€¦ to determine the directionality of soundsā€¦

So I take that to mean The HAs ARE conduciveā€¦ to determine the directionality of soundsā€¦

Binaural processing in the More uses Near Field Magnetic Induction to exchange data and audio information between the 2 hearing aids. This helps determine the directionality of the sounds approaching the 2 hearing aids.

Ahhā€¦, reading comprehension failā€¦ ā€¦dohā€¦

Thanks Volusiano.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a preceding negation, which means the hearing aids are conducive to our brainā€™s ability to determine the directionality of soundsā€¦

Iā€™m sorry for the clumsy syntax: I KNOW how to write better! Sorry!!!

2 Likes

No worries, thatā€™s what I get for trying to be clever with quotes.

3 Likes

@parishd: I really apologize for my difficult-to-understand prose in the text that you quoted.

My excuse is that my 176-piund Newfoundland dog had a seizure the night before, and we were all operating on minimal sleep.

I had a premonition this would happen: I should have listened to the little voice and redrafted it immediately!

:unamused:

1 Like

Remote mics can be super helpful for hearing in noise. I find the Oticon remote mics much more reasonably priced, reliable and user friendly than the Phonak Roger mics.

You in bilateral open domes? Do you notice much difference in your ability to localize sound with your hearing aids in versus your hearing aids out? How about low frequency sounds versus high frequency sounds?

Itā€™d be nice if you could return your Mores for Paradises but Iā€™m not sure how that would be insurance-wise. Hopefully you and your audiologist will be able to find a program that works well for you. Sounds like you hardly got an upgrade ;;

We have CostCo but the KS10 isnā€™t available in Australia yet as far as I can tell from their website (maybe I checked before they updated it, or maybe they wonā€™t have it for a while). Iā€™ve heard about super mixed experiences with CostCo so Iā€™d rather spend a couple grand extra for peace of mind (plus the service Iā€™m going to go to really cares about how the brain listens).

I might look into the KS10 if they become available in Australia (unless they are and Iā€™m dumb) but I canā€™t emotionally stand waiting any longer with the state of my hearing in background noise :3

@mirai.mizuhara: Iā€™m sorry, but the logic behind this statement escapes me.

Neither aid will give satisfaction if incorrectly programmed ā€¦

The person I responded to trialled the Paradise and liked it more than the More that they ended up getting.

They also wonder if they would have gone with the Paradise had they trialled both.

Sounds like the Paradise was programmed nicely compared to their current aids.

I hope this helps you understand my message.

1 Like

Yes. I understand now. Thank you.

I also tried More1 for three weeks and next week I am trying Paradise and will make a decision about the two of them. One problem with all these discussions is that, since we cannot use the two different HAs simultaneously, which HA pair is better is very much a matter of perception rather then an actual scientific measurement. In addition, I want to note that I will be paying around $7.5k for the pair so the KS10ā€™s seem like a real bargain.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to the audi for an adjustment next week. With my previous Opn1 I had to return a few times for adjustments so Iā€™m optimistic that there will eventually be a big improvement with the More.
I have tried several times to download and install Genie 2 but I keep getting a message that the installation failed. Even so I am hopeful that Volusianoā€™s suggestions earlier in this thread might be a real help.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you canā€™t install Genie 2 successfully. Maybe the info below will help to see if your system meets the requirements that Oticon requires to install Genie 2 successfully.

@ziploc, I too got some errors installing the software. If you do meet the installation requirements kindly shared by Volusiano, you may be able to dig deeper.

In the window that says there was an installation error I found a link to an error log on the bottom left. In my case, the log showed an error number halfway through the file which I googled and pointed to some sort of C++ error.

In my particular case, the fix was to do a Windows update and get my PC current with patches (It was a new system with an initial install and was missing many patches) and then a reboot. Your case may be different.

After I did that, the installation completed successfully.

If you share the the error log in a PM i would look to see if i see anything obvious.

Good luck!

I had similar issue. Fixed by turning off AntiVirus.
Before running install, go ahead and do a file check for virus.
the install file is good with NO virus.

I did finally get it installed. I turned off anti-virus and firewall and still got the installation error. I saw an option for ā€œRepairā€. That didnā€™t work. There was another option for ā€œModifyā€. That worked! Why? I donā€™t know.

Many More 1 users have reported only modest improvement from their prior experience with the Opn or Opn S. I myself wear Opn 1 and found no discernible difference when I trialed the More 1 for 4 weeks. OTOH, there are some posters who have described their experience with the More 1 as ā€œlife changingā€.

I wonder if the reason why some are experiencing little or no improvement is precisely because of what Volusiano describes in his linked post. In cases where the audiologist programs the More 1 to its default settings, then the improvement may be only modest, but when Neural Noise Suppression is set to its max (4 db Easy/10 db Difficult), then the listening experience may in fact be a game changer.

Thatā€™s my theory, so Iā€™m thinking of giving the More 1 a second look.

1 Like

What do you currently have set on your OPN 1 for max noise reduction in complex environment, @billgem? If itā€™s the max -9 dB (and max of -3 dB for Simple), then itā€™s not that far off from the max -10 dB for Difficult and max -4 for Simple on the More. Also remember, youā€™d have to insert yourself into very noisy/complex/difficult environment to be able to test out these max values to see if youā€™d notice any difference. Otherwise, if you only ask your audi to set the max values for you, but you go about being in your regular environments only which may not be difficult environments for the most part, you may not be able to notice any difference because the Oticon HAs exercise only as much NR as needed, but not more, and only up to the max value as needed if you end up in very noisy environments.

Remember that for folks who found the More to be a game changer, many of them came from a different brand/model hearing aids before. There are a few who came from the OPN/S who like the More better, like Chuck (cvkemp), but I think he has rather complicated hearing issues so the incremental moves from OPN to OPN S then More seem to benefit him every step of the way.

I remember some folks moving from the OPN to the More like the More better partly because it (and the OPN S) has the new feedback prevention technology that they could benefit from.

The bottom line is that itā€™s not necessarily the case that the More is not that much better than the OPN, it may be the case the that OPN, when properly fitted, is good enough for you and your needs and thatā€™s why the More just doesnā€™t seem to be any better. Itā€™s possible that your brain hearing is astute enough that the help from the OPN is enough for you, while for other folks, their brain hearing can use more help than yours and the More delivers that extra edge that they need which you donā€™t.

1 Like