Oticon More vs Phonak Paradise for speech recognition in background noise?

The person I responded to trialled the Paradise and liked it more than the More that they ended up getting.

They also wonder if they would have gone with the Paradise had they trialled both.

Sounds like the Paradise was programmed nicely compared to their current aids.

I hope this helps you understand my message.

1 Like

Yes. I understand now. Thank you.

I also tried More1 for three weeks and next week I am trying Paradise and will make a decision about the two of them. One problem with all these discussions is that, since we cannot use the two different HAs simultaneously, which HA pair is better is very much a matter of perception rather then an actual scientific measurement. In addition, I want to note that I will be paying around $7.5k for the pair so the KS10ā€™s seem like a real bargain.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to the audi for an adjustment next week. With my previous Opn1 I had to return a few times for adjustments so Iā€™m optimistic that there will eventually be a big improvement with the More.
I have tried several times to download and install Genie 2 but I keep getting a message that the installation failed. Even so I am hopeful that Volusianoā€™s suggestions earlier in this thread might be a real help.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that you canā€™t install Genie 2 successfully. Maybe the info below will help to see if your system meets the requirements that Oticon requires to install Genie 2 successfully.

@ziploc, I too got some errors installing the software. If you do meet the installation requirements kindly shared by Volusiano, you may be able to dig deeper.

In the window that says there was an installation error I found a link to an error log on the bottom left. In my case, the log showed an error number halfway through the file which I googled and pointed to some sort of C++ error.

In my particular case, the fix was to do a Windows update and get my PC current with patches (It was a new system with an initial install and was missing many patches) and then a reboot. Your case may be different.

After I did that, the installation completed successfully.

If you share the the error log in a PM i would look to see if i see anything obvious.

Good luck!

I had similar issue. Fixed by turning off AntiVirus.
Before running install, go ahead and do a file check for virus.
the install file is good with NO virus.

I did finally get it installed. I turned off anti-virus and firewall and still got the installation error. I saw an option for ā€œRepairā€. That didnā€™t work. There was another option for ā€œModifyā€. That worked! Why? I donā€™t know.

Many More 1 users have reported only modest improvement from their prior experience with the Opn or Opn S. I myself wear Opn 1 and found no discernible difference when I trialed the More 1 for 4 weeks. OTOH, there are some posters who have described their experience with the More 1 as ā€œlife changingā€.

I wonder if the reason why some are experiencing little or no improvement is precisely because of what Volusiano describes in his linked post. In cases where the audiologist programs the More 1 to its default settings, then the improvement may be only modest, but when Neural Noise Suppression is set to its max (4 db Easy/10 db Difficult), then the listening experience may in fact be a game changer.

Thatā€™s my theory, so Iā€™m thinking of giving the More 1 a second look.

1 Like

What do you currently have set on your OPN 1 for max noise reduction in complex environment, @billgem? If itā€™s the max -9 dB (and max of -3 dB for Simple), then itā€™s not that far off from the max -10 dB for Difficult and max -4 for Simple on the More. Also remember, youā€™d have to insert yourself into very noisy/complex/difficult environment to be able to test out these max values to see if youā€™d notice any difference. Otherwise, if you only ask your audi to set the max values for you, but you go about being in your regular environments only which may not be difficult environments for the most part, you may not be able to notice any difference because the Oticon HAs exercise only as much NR as needed, but not more, and only up to the max value as needed if you end up in very noisy environments.

Remember that for folks who found the More to be a game changer, many of them came from a different brand/model hearing aids before. There are a few who came from the OPN/S who like the More better, like Chuck (cvkemp), but I think he has rather complicated hearing issues so the incremental moves from OPN to OPN S then More seem to benefit him every step of the way.

I remember some folks moving from the OPN to the More like the More better partly because it (and the OPN S) has the new feedback prevention technology that they could benefit from.

The bottom line is that itā€™s not necessarily the case that the More is not that much better than the OPN, it may be the case the that OPN, when properly fitted, is good enough for you and your needs and thatā€™s why the More just doesnā€™t seem to be any better. Itā€™s possible that your brain hearing is astute enough that the help from the OPN is enough for you, while for other folks, their brain hearing can use more help than yours and the More delivers that extra edge that they need which you donā€™t.

1 Like

Thanks very much. I have no idea what my Opn setting is for noise reduction. I have an appointment next week to receive my left HA back from repair, so Iā€™ll ask then. Good timing with your ā€œheads upā€. :+1:

So, Volusiano, I met with my audiologist today to receive my left HA which had been out for repair for the past 3 weeks. During the interim, I had begun trialing the new Bose SoundControl HAs. This experience of going without for a couple of weeks and then wearing the pair of Bose only served to remind me of just how good my Oticon Opn 1ā€™s actually are!

To answer your question, the noise reduction in difficult situations has been set for the max (9 db), but in easy situations only 1.5 db. The Audi explained that is what is recommended for someone with my profile because Oticon wants to provide the wearer with as much sound as possibleā€¦ At my request, she turned up to the max 3 db (easy) because I am experiencing some difficulty understanding speech in what should be easy situations. She said this might cause the background to sound a little dull at times.

Her explanation for my lower easy setting led me to wonder if this is why Oticon has the default setting at 6 db (difficult) for the More 1 and leaves it to the audiologist to override that as needed. I agree with you that the full 10 db would be more desirable since itā€™s only engaged when needed, but I guess they have their preference.

Thanks for asking me about my settings, which prompted me to initiate this conversation at my appointment. Must appreciated.

Glad to hear you got the adjustment you want from the audi for -3 dB in Simple. Iā€™m not too concerned about the Simple max because the SNR is not a big deal in simple situations and the difference between -1.5 dB and -3 dB is not that significant. They can split hair for those situations if they want, but to me, whatā€™s really counts is the -9 dB in Complex, which you got.

But in your case, if you find that you want all the help you can get in Simple, itā€™s very appropriate to ask her to set it to the max of -3 dB for you. I really doubt that this difference will cause the background to sound a little dull at times like she said. Thatā€™s because the NR is not applied to the background if thereā€™s no speech present. And if thereā€™s speech present, youā€™ll mostly notice the speech and not the background anyway. But you be the judge and let us know if you really can notice this like she said. But if you notice that speech is a little bit better to understand in what should be easy situations, then youā€™ll have been right to request it.

Just for the record, this is my case. And - also for the record - Iā€™ve never blamed the Unitron make per se for the abysmal performance of my Unitron North Moxi Fit 800s. I have always put that down to the ineptitude of my fitter, and my own poor judgment for not firing her and seeking out a better one much sooner than I did.

My poor judgement cost me 6 years of hearing, and all of the real and opportunity costs which that entails.

So, when, at long last, I was properly fitted with Oticon More hearing aids (whose OpenSound paradigm suits my preferences), it was, in point of fact, life-changing for me.

1 Like