Oticon More adds disposable battery model and MyMusic program

No, @Volusiano, the MyMusic doesn’t offer my ears sufficient clarity of speech to use it as the primary program for watching TV.

The consonants and sibilants just aren’t crisp enough to give me comprehension. Speech in Noise seems to be good for TV, though, as is VAC+, IMO.

1 Like

Precisely. This matches my experience.

1 Like

I’ve just spent 1 1/2 hours playing my 2011 Taylor NS32ce (strung with Savarez yellow card extra high tension nylon strings), unplugged.

The many changes to the basic VAC+ fitting rationale are so complex and subtle that I must refer you to the actual technical paper for an adequate explanation. Heres the link:

The MyMusic program is a significantly different hearing experience from the previous Oticon Music program. Here are some of my main “findings”:

1. The compression is much less aggressive than before. Maybe people who’ve never used a compressor themselves, in a hands-on setting, will have trouble hearing the difference right off the bat, but after a few minutes, listeners should clue in to the greater immediacy of the music, versus the typical “sponginess” of HA amplification;
  2. High frequency band amplification has been tamed down: my Taylor can be quite “spikey” by times because of the Savarez yellow card strings. The previous Oticon music program actually seemed to exacerbate the spikiness - the sound could be quite unpleasant. The MyMusic program will let me hear my mistakes by reproducing the sharp sound of a badly-plucked note, but generally, the program captures the warmth and clarity of this particular instrument quite accurately ;
  3. I can now hear the complex, higher-order overtones that are characteristic of the “Taylor Sound”. I haven’t been able to hear them for years! So the MyMusic program lets me hear why I paid more for an instrument of this quality;
  4. The MyMusic program doesn’t seem to clip off the tail end of the sound envelope as the string vibration decays. The practical effect of this is that the guitar rings and sustains better, and responds better to passages that require a soft touch. The previous music program didn’t let the sound of the guitar “bloom”;
  5. Perhaps it’s only my imagination, but the MyMusic rationale seems to let me hear the dynamics of what I’m playing better than the old program did: hard attacks aren’t “tamped down” by the compressor/limiter subroutine, and soft passages don’t sound artificially “pumped”.

So - my verdict after a quick trial is that Oticon has achieved what HA manufacturers and fitters have been striving for (mostly unsuccessfully, in my case) for years: a natural-sounding music program that preserves the beauty and character of the instruments being played, the subtle dynamics of the music itself, and the timbre and overtones that music lovers and audiophiles love to hear (think:the unique, exquisite timbre of Streisand’s or Sinatra’s voice.)

Bravo! Well done, Oticon! Thank you for this!

[ADDENDA:
A. I reserve the right to modify my comments as my experience with the MyMusic program increases, although my first impressions are pretty dramatic, and aren’t apt to change:
B. I apologize for having to use guitar players’ jargon such as bloom, ring, spikey, spongy, etc. If anybody is having trouble understanding what I’m trying to convey, please post a question, and I’ll try to come up with some less esoteric descriptors.]

Thanks for sharing this, Jim!

Now only if we have one of the pianist to comment on MyMusic when they play their acoustic pianos to round it off. But if the dynamics of a string instrument like the guitar can be captured well/better than before, it’s very hopeful that it’d be the same experience with the piano.

1 Like

Yes, V, dynamics, overtones, and compression are all critical for music reproduction. If one had to ask an audiologist to make the required tweaks to VAC+ to get to where MyMusic takes you, one would get thrown into the street!

You need to give a go to the Lecture Program for TV viewing, as it focuses the mics on the sound in front, but still retains a balance.

Maybe Marshall Chasen could do it, but the problem with Genie 2 is there is no way to change the Compression, it is of a fixed value determined by Oticon.

They do a great job, as you have described, in almost “Stereophile Mag” detail with MyMusic.
Unfortunately for me, my Mores have become distorted, and quite unusable since shortly after the 1.1.1 f/w update.
I did experience a short period of Enhanced Musical euphoria before they failed, so hoping the VA gets me a new pair soon.

Right @Volusiano, I’m sure the piano would exhibit similar characteristics, as the MyMusic program was designed to be quite OPN (Pun) to the full musical spectrum, as much as can be derived from hearing aids.

What channel or network is this on? (I don’t think we get this Lecture Program in Canada. We do get “Bonsai for Blood Pressure” and “Wood Carvers’Hour”, however.)

What exactly do you mean by “distorted”,
:zap: Flash :zap:? (Seriously … )

I’m sorry my spud eating friend, the Lecture Program is one of the selectable programs available in your ha’s.
Got to enable it in Genie 2.

I attended a musical function at a room I’ve been going to for 4 years, and for the 1st time I was totally overwhelmed by echo, and artifacts
It was a solo piano playing, and I switched between Music & General, and the difference was quite profound.
Music program caused extreme echo, and a rustling sound.
General caused echo, albeit flatter sound (to be expected), and a sense of what I can only describe as a swirling and pulsating audible sensation instead of the rustling.
Afterwords, talking to a small group of friends, with some recorded music playing in the next room, it was very difficult to discern the conversation.

After the 1.1.1 update, I noticed an incessant clicking sound during speech and music.It was like clipping, but not even at high dB input.
Cymbals sounded like mechanical clicks, instead of the normal sizzle & decay.
MyMusic & general displayed these same , artifacts, for want of a better word.
I created a new client in Genie, and still had the issue.

The killer was when I received a phone call & my connectclip disconnected the call several times.
I did some troubleshooting, which led to only getting streaming music & calls in the left h/a!
I tried my computer & laptop with the same results.
I paired my spare connectclip and sos.
Got my OPN S’s and all s’all good-man.
How ya’ like dem apples, eh?

1 Like

@flashb1024: I’m no expert, but I think you may have some "distortion " (scientific word) into your HAs that is making them "unstable " (as in dilithium crystals).

[They may have to be returned to Oticon to have the smoke put back into them.]

1 Like

In trialing the Oticon More disposable, it certainly sounds clearer than the Oticon OPN that I have. My Music program sounds incredible for music listening and makes me giddy like a teenager discovering new mix CDs that friends used to share back then.

Regarding the disposable battery feature, it’s nice to have the convenience of multi day performance and ability to change at will.

I noticed that for some occasions, I get a low battery chirp, but then within 5-10 minutes the battery immediately dies. I am usually streaming non stop for work via the TV adapter from 9a to 6p. Is this rapid shutdown normal? Is there a way to see the average battery time via the Oticon app for each aid? I’m trying to diagnose if it’s due to battery brand pattern, my streaming situation, or something else.

@gkumar: please keep posting your experiences with More/disposable version. I didn’t have the choice when I got mine. There are a number of advantages to the rechargeables that I like (battery readout being one of them), but I’m monitoring the disposable version carefully for “next time”.

1 Like

Where do you get your battery readout?

Here are some statistics of my hearing performance the last few days if it helps. I’ve had to change he the hearing aids batteries once per aid in these days!

P1 general VAC program
P2 Speech in Noise Omni
P3 Speech in Noise Focused/Directional
P4 My Music
TV Adapter

image|231x500

Not bad with my OPN1 aids I got on average of 55 hours out of disposable batteries. With my More1 rechargeable aids I get at least 24 hours on a charge, and with my OPNS1 aids that a rechargeable I get on average 28 hours on a charge

Do you see these numbers in an app somewhere?

@gkumar: Click on the ear icon down in the bottom right hand corner. My rechargeable Mores show the charge remaining.

Yes I get the same tabs on my app. Now I don’t do a lot of streaming, except for the TV, or phone calls, and sometimes audiobooks.
I hope it is better now but when I had my OPN1 disposable battery aids I found the accuracy of the battery life left was vey poor, but have found the accuracy of rechargeable battery life much more accurate.

I put in a new set of batteries last night and both are now at 100 percent. Let’s see how the battery life holds on a weekend with less streaming, vs weekdays with more streaming due to work!

2 Likes

I never thought I would like rechargeable aids, I complained a little when my VA Audiologist said I was getting the rechargeable OPNS1 aids, but after having them only a couple of months and traveling with them I changed my mind. Now I am retired so most of my day are 16 hours or less, mostly less. I don’t travel by plane we travel by our vehicle and about half the time we tow our camp trailer that is fully equipped with all of the comfort that we need. I have requested a travel charger for my More1 aids, and knowing my VA audiologist I will get it sometime after the November contract is opened. But I have found by research that I could get a backup battery pack that is compatible with my Oticon charger, it stays on after the aids are fully charged so the aids don’t power on and start discharging.

1 Like