Oticon More 1 Questions

@cvkemp: So, Chuck, if your audiologist was willing (your words) you didn’t have to force them, did you?

1 Like

It was more of me being willing to make myself feel confident enough to ask for more control.

@cvkemp: I think you are a great example of perseverance, self-education, courage to stand up for yourself, and the results you’ve obtained speak for themselves.

But I honestly wouldn’t categorize what I’ve read of your accounts, I wouldn’t interpret it as “forcing them to do their job”.

It’s probably all just semantics, though …

1 Like

It is more like knowing what to ask for I guess then.

@cvkemp: Yes, Chuck … I’d agree with that 100% - and press until you get an answer. Just as you are persistent. I just don’t like the notion of “forcing them to do their job” as if they were incompetent (although we both know that some definitely are).

I am pretty much doing the same thing now with my overall health. I am going again the Standard diet concept that so many doctors are pushing as is the government controlled by the food industry. But that is a tell for a different forum.

My More 1 easily has full charge all day long. However that said, I do not stream anything. In fact although I tried to pair my aid (android) it defaulted to automatically sending all phone sound to the aid but that is not of interest to me. My good ear actually hears better so sending all sound to my impacted ear is a step back. I was told that for iPhones there are different settings.

2 Likes

Hi @Volusiano , visited the Audi and have a copy of pdf file on the adjustment of More 1 HA. Should I send it to you by PM or post it in the Forum? Pls advice.

Had mine for less than two days & have the same bluetooth connectivity issue on the left side. Restart fixes it, then it disconnects again eventually. Rinse, repeat. I’ll wear them through the weekend then come Monday I guess I’ll have to notify my VA audi.

@dankailo → hopefully the adjustment the audi made for you was effective to help improve your listening ability. It’s probably too much details and not necessary to post the pdf records of your adjustment on the forum or send to me because it most likely has information that can’t be digested easily. Besides, if you’re happy with the adjustment, then that’s what counts as the bottom line. It’s best anyway to get help from the forum by explaining your issue(s) in plain terms and see if forum members can help advise about it in general. We can leave the detailed mechanics for the HCPs to deal with.

2 Likes

I’m not sure if there are just a whole bunch of threads mixed in here or if I’m just confused.

There was a sort-of reference to a document somewhere with all the screens of the Genie software? I noticed when last at the audiologist, the genie software had a different layout. Where can I find documentation so I can learn what all the various adjustments that can be made, and the software layout, are?

Yes, I understand it MAY be best to get all the software and hardware and spend all the time to figure out how to make adjustments to the hearing aids myself. I’m just having trouble believing there’s anything so unique about my hearing situation that a qualified audiologist shouldn’t be able to properly adjust them.

Are the overwhelming majority of people fitting and adjusting Oticon hearing aids poorly trained or seriously lacking in knowledge? I have TWO audiologists - one that doesn’t do REM but is happy to go through adjustments and work with me, and one that DOES do REM and believes that’s the solution to most everything.

Or is the problem that I’M not doing a good just of explaining WHAT problems I’m encountering? In which case I need to do a better job.

I was back at the local audiologist a couple weeks ago:

The hearing aids are still at “full” volume, but we increases the overall volume so I’m 3dB below the recommended settings. In many situations I still have to reduce overall volume by at least one click to avoid higher frequencies being uncomfortably loud.

For example, typing on a computer keyboard, the key click is high-pitched, very sharp and staccato. According to the phone app(s) I’m using, they appear peak between 800Hz and 3000Hz. Reducing the volume a second click helps reduce the loudness to a less annoying level.

This appears true of all higher frequencies - particularly I THINK, when they come through a speaker – whether on the cell phone, TV, or the audio system connected to the computer.

Female voices (when they’re loud enough to comprehend), sound most like an old AM radio with an analog tuner where it’s ALMOST on the station. Coming through a TV or the audio system attached to the computer (think podcast), which is where most of the daily sound comes from, the tinny, scratchy, staticky sound is more pronounced. Consonants like “T” in “trust” are very hard and bright, and sibilants like “s” have a very pronounced hiss and scratchiness.

Can the maximum volume of the higher frequencies be reduced significantly so sounds cannot get so loud as to be uncomfortable, while increasing the amplification of soft high frequency sounds to make them more intelligible? And are there frequencies, above and below which, the sound level can be significantly reduced (below 60 or 80Hz and above 1000 or 2000)? And would that significantly reduce the distortion and garbling of higher frequency speech?

Is there any reason NOT to put a second “speech” program on the hearing aids for experimenting? Keep the “normal” settings as program 1, put a new one on in program 2? That would give me a way to compare what I’m hearing.

Yeah you got fitting problems all right, everything you said here needs to be discussed with your audiologist, far too many things all at once your trying to get a solution to, further adjustments are obviously going to need to be done, I’d start with the Oticon Genie2 software, study it and just about everything can be found in the “Help” section, can you post your audiogram as others can offer advice.

I would second @tenkan 's suggest to @GracieAllen to post your audiogram in your profile first so that we can see what kind of hearing loss you have before we can really make any meaningful suggestion. If you don’t want to fully commit to do DIY yet and have to fork out money to buy a NoahLink Wireless, at least download and install Genie 2 and enter in your audiogram so you can “simulate” a Genie 2 profile based on your audiogram without having to actually connect to your hearing aids. You can still learn a lot about Genie 2 this way but without actually being able to load the changes to your HAs to hear the changes.

1 Like

@GracieAllen: Any intelligent answer here on the Forum will require that you post your audiogram.

2 Likes

It’s buried in here somewhere, but I’ll post it again. It’s a pretty ugly copy, but the original is about this bad too.
Audiogram 22220909 David crop.pdf (986.2 KB)

@GracieAllen: You need to click “My Audiogram” at the top of the screen and enter your values for each frequency.

@GracieAllen
To add an audiogram go all the way to the top ogf the mage & select My hearing Tests under the forum menu.

1 Like

Gracie, This might be a good place to start.
Registration is free.
As others have said, you can download the Genie2 software on a windows pc, and navigate the entire program, but taking a course beforehand is a good starting point.
Gaining insight to the software, coupled with the type of explanation you posted here should help you and your audi get you going!

I don’t see anywhere on that site where I can download the software.

Can someone provide an actual link to download the Genie 2 software directly?

Please go to the DIY section in this forum and search for @pvc’s thread on DIY schooling. He has the greatest and most detailed instruction you can ever find anywhere.