Oticon More 1.4.2 firmware

I’ve had a problem with my ConnectClip and an Apple iMac Pro (2017) desktop but not with several Apple MacBook Pro notebooks (2016 and 2019) - this was with OPN (1) and then OPN S 1 aids. When I was visiting my provider and asked about that she called Oticon Tech support - they suggested that many notebooks did not need the BTD 800 but many desktops had poor implementations of Bluetooth and needed the dongle to work correctly. Sure enough, no issues with the desktop when using the dongle but lots without it. Later versions of macOS have improved thing with the built-in bluetooth of the desktop (they sometimes include new firmware for the bluetooth chipset as the version numbers change) but the dongle is still best for my machine and ConnectClip.

Turns out the dongle was provided with many higher end Sennheiser bluetooth headphones/headsets - they recommend it for call centers where reliable bluetooth from computers to headsets is needed. Jabra also provides a similar dongle for their high end bluetooth devices.

Some collaborators at work found that some computers worked fine with an expensive (about $75K) portable instrument that was controlled by a Windows application using Bluetooth to communicate but other computers failed miserably. The instrument always worked when using ethernet rather than bluetooth. My guess is that some Bluetooth implementations are poorly done and buggy and it isn’t a high priority for some (many if I’m cynical) computer hardware and OS manufacturers.

My current More 1 aids seem to work OK with my desktop/dongle/connectclip combo but I typically use old closed large cup wired headphones plugged into the desktop as they help block environmental sounds (AC fan for example). They also sound a bit better than streaming to the aids and I can wear the aids with the headphones without feedback :slight_smile:

I will ask the audiologist to provide a dongle for a test, just to rule it out.

The firmware cannot be rolled back unless the hearing aids are sent to Oticon. It’s an option, but I will find out if they are doing another firmware rollout soon.

If the laptops are actually Bluetooth certified and the connect clip is certified, they are required to follow the interoperability standard or not use the Bluetooth name.

EDiT The ConnectClip is certified, using a Qualicomm design. Here is the certification from the searchable Bluetooth database.

https://launchstudio.bluetooth.com/ListingDetails/1998

Apologies I’m not as frequent as I should be in this forum. Is one symptom of the ‘ConnectClip’ issue a problem with poor audio, cutting in and out like a bad connection? I discovered my Bluetooth mouse was interfering with the streamed audio. Logitech mouse, no dongle, M1 MacBook Air and 1.3 firmware. I had to compromise by using the Mac’s trackpad when using audio. Next problem was at some stage, probably not Oticon firmware related because I was a couple of months from my 1.3 upgrade, I could only get the left aid to stream audio with ConnectClip and I gave up and bought some over-ear noise cancelling headphones for conference calls. Mouse was a Logitech so both brands in theory sticking to standards or maybe I just have a bad mouse or Clip? I’ve found the over ear with noise cancelling a great solution, as others have said it shuts out ambient noise better than muting the aids.

While I don’t know the details of the hardware inside the aids what you mention makes sense.

It’s usual to buy in a chip to provide wireless services and these are subject to firmware/driver updates as are the laptops or whatever ‘the other end’.

Resetting pairings after a firmware update can’t hurt and may certainly help rather than assuming forwards and back adds compatibility is always OK (it’s far from it).

I did notice that More firmware upgrades lose the programming but retain the Bluetooth links and I will be removing them in future.

1 Like

yes, i stated that in my post:

1 Like

My More hearing aids are getting downgraded to 1.3.0 firmware. Hopefully it won’t take long before I get them back.

After installing 1.4.1 firmware (on Nov 28, 2022) the problem of losing connection in one of the hearing aids has disappeared. I have noticed quite frequently how the new firmware recovered from a possible lost connection; specifically, I was streaming from the TV adapter, answered a phone call and then hanged up. After a short “hiccup” (which would have ended in a lost connection in one HA with 1.4.0) the audio was restored in both HAs. Happy camper!
Well, starting about 10 days ago, the problem of lost connection in one HA reappeared and I have to power cycle the HA to clear to issue. I suspect that the iOS update to 16.3 might have caused a new incompatibility.
I came back to my trusted source (hearingtracker.com forum) and found out about 1.4.2. Before updating to 1.4.2. (presumably deployed because 1.4.1 caused a high percentage of bricked aids) I have 2 questions:
• Have people with 1.4.1 experienced a resurrection of the audio connection loss problem after iOS update to 16.3?
• Has the problem gone away after installing 1.4.2 firmware (and iOS latest release 16.3.1)?

I can only say I went from 1.4 to 1.4.2 and haven’t had any issues with connection or audio quality I do have the latest IOS update

@cvkemp also deleted Oticon ON/Companion from iphone/ipad. I have done the same and think it improved the reliability of the connection.

1 Like

Well I have found the negative of my More1 aids or maybe it is just my severe hearing loss. I am not fully enjoying my cruise due today so many foreign accents. I am having to depend on my wife to tell me the importance information. The tour guides are using microphones and speakers that causes me to have to lower the volume of my aids to the point of not understanding anything. The same is true for announcements over the ship intercoms. It is stressful and gives me headaches.

I noticed a speech enhancement switch in the new Companion app. I doubt it would help much though.

It is the renamed Sound Booster from the ON App. It may help a little to slightly lower the constant noise.
Sadly, without additional programs to try - such as Lecture, and/or the “useless ON or Companion App”, there is nothing cvkemp can try to help his situation. Sorry to read his disappointment on his cruise.

2 Likes

I tried it but it doesn’t help with the accents.

1 Like

The understanding of unfamiliar or accented speech is a cognitive function. It’s possible you’re hearing enough actual sound to hear what’s being said, but cognitively you don’t associate those sounds with the way you recognise specific phonemes etc.

We get it around here when people retire to this area from England; all of a sudden their speech recognition declines. Their hearing hasn’t substantially worsened per se, it’s just the shift in the accentuation, dialect and even the speed of delivery is different.

Eventually, with the right help and sufficient mental plasticity, things improve. Difficult to resolve in the short term though.

5 Likes

I got my hearing aids back with 1.3.0 firmware. They work properly again with the ConnectClip and they also work properly with my iPhone which is now at 16.2.1.

1 Like

Excellent! I am still using 1.3.0 also updated at Oticon - I updated my iPhone to 16.3.1 and I have no problems, but I do not have a ConncectClip.
My Audi recommended to stay at 1.3.0.

If you don’t have a ConnectClip, I can’t think of any reason to not be on the latest firmware, 1.4.2. It works fine with an iPhone.

1 Like

My Audi said they are still having sporadic issues during the firmware updating process - the office had 2 sets last week that were corrupted and aids had to be sent into Oticon. Since my iPhone is to old for the hands free calling, no reason to try to update at this point. I agree.