Oticon ConnectClip - audio cuts out

Since the firmware was updated 8 days ago, I haven’t had a single instance of audio drop-outs with my Real HAs. This firmware seems to be solid, although, it will take a bit longer before I can definitively say it’s a fix.

@darylm, great to see that the Oticon Real firmware upgrade fixed the issue of audio cut out with the ConnectClip.
I have the Oticon More 1 and I had them downgraded from firmware 1.4.3 to 1.3 to be able to use the ConnectClip again, which is working fine.
I’m hoping that the firmware upgrade that fix the issue will come to the Oticon More 1 soon.
Would you (or anyone) have any information about it?
Thank you!

Sorry, but I have no idea about the More HAs since I no longer have them. All I know is that the fix isn’t exactly the same for More and Real and the fix for More will come later. If yours are working with 1.3.0 firmware, be glad. In my case, 1.3.0 did not work, which is one of the reasons why I upgraded to Real. If I hear anything from Oticon, I will update this thread.

2 Likes

I’ve been using the new 1.1.0 firmware in my Real HAs for a month and I have not had a single instance of audio drop-out and I have not had to re-pair the HAs and CC. I think it’s safe to say at this point that the new firmware fixes the audio drop-out problem for the Real HAs.

2 Likes

@darylm , I just upgraded my Oticton Reals to FW v1.1.0, but I’m still getting audio cut-outs every 3-5 seconds with the CC. What version FW is your CC running? Did you have to do anything special once you updated the FW version on your Reals? I’ve tried clearing the pairings with the 3-button reset method.

If anybody has any other ideas of what I can try, that would be appreciated. I reproduced the issue with a CC paired with a MacBook Pro and Windows machine (ThinkPad).

EDIT: I think my CCs are still v1.1. Can you upgrade them using Genie?

Maybe the problem is with the CC. My CC is a newer version. I can’t recall which. I posted it, but I don’t have time to locate the thread right now. If you search, you should be able to find it. I’ll check later and report back.

The firmware on my CC is 1.13.5.

How did you get that upgraded? Via Genie?

Ok, so I got things working!

After talking my HCP who reached out to Oticon, she said that I needed to also unpair the CC from my BT devices (MacBook/ThinkPad) - not just the HAs from the CC (3 button reset).

After doing so, non-interrupted streaming started to work! :slight_smile: … v1.1.0 seems to work!

EDIT: If this was already said earlier in the :thread: … this was a reading failure on my part.

1 Like

Is anyone in this :thread: intimately familiar with the Bluetooth protocol?

I’d like to speculate as to the nature of this bug because something caught my attention:

I had to unpair the CC from my devices (MacBook / ThinkPad) and that audio-cutting out persisted until I unpaired despite the firmware upgrade to v1.1.0.

1. Does something in the Bluetooth Pairing protocol set attributes, encodings, timeouts, and etc … by which the audio stream is governed? Is that why unpairing first was required in order to flush the previously broken config?
  2. It was also clear from my own observations that lights on the CC would flash from orange to blue back to orange then blue again every 3-5 seconds in my instance when audio was playing. Was that a symptom of #1 or possibly a whole different issue related to the CC and HA maintaining a continuous Bluetooth connection?

Thoughts?

1 Like

If you’re asking me, I received the CC with 1.13.5 firmware. Not sure if it can be updated using Genie. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

1 Like

In Genie 2, there’s an Accessories pull-down menu. If you go there, and have your ConnectClip connected to your computer, then it’ll show what version is on it currently. And if you have the latest version of Genie 2, which is 2023.2, then if that Genie 2 version has a newer firmware than what’s already on your ConnectClip, you’ll be given a chance to update it.

1 Like

I am recommended to change from android to iPhone. No more problems with this ClipConnect audio cuts issue. Is that really correct?

After my Oticon More 1’s had firmware updated to 1.4.3 Connect Clip used to stream audio via bluetooth from my Mac stopped strted cutting out every few seconds then cust back in, then out, etc. Have used the Connect Clip since 11/2021 with no problems until now. Tested other bluetooth device, a Dac the same iMac and it streams fine. All manner for “forget device” the restart re-pair have failed to solve problem. Tested on my other computer, a MacBook Pro and the same problem. My More 1’s continue to stream perfectly fine from my iPhone so the problem would seem to be with the Connect Clip. Sent a message via the Oticon Companion App but have not heard anything back from Oticon.

Any help would be appreciated!

1 Like

If you have not read the details throughout this thread, I’ll summarize it for you here real quick. Oticon has not come up with a fix for the ConnectClip issue with the More. They’ve only come up with a fix for the Real.

Many folks had to send their More back to the Oticon factory to revert their More firmware back to 1.3.0 in hope of solving the issue. That move seems to work for them for a little while, but then the reconnection issue resurfaces again sooner or later.

If unpairing and re-pairing by yourself doesn’t seem to help any bit, taking the More back to your HCP to get the pairing data inside of the Genie 2 program removed may help, but then only for a little while before the issue resurfaces again.

So there’s no permanent solution for the More/ConnectClip issue, only temporary solution by reverting to firmware 1.3.0 and/or clearing the pairing data inside of Genie 2. It’s an issue specific to working with the ConnectClip, but it’s not an issue on the ConnectClip per se. It’s the More firmware that needs to be fixed, not the ConnectClip firmware.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I have read many of the previous posts herebut was a little confused about what the real/final story was. Thanks, I’ll probably just sit tight and wait, as I mainly use CC to stream from computer but will pull trusty bluetooth DAC/HP amp and headphones till Oticon comes up with a fix - if they come up with a fix.

1 Like

Agree! And I believe it is confirmed.
My question is how many are using Android and iPhone repectively???
My informant means there are no problem with ConnectClip and iPhone.
He reminded me that iPhone is the one that developed the function to integrate HA with mobile phones.

Not sure how this question is relevant to the topic of the ConnectClip audio cut out issue???

And how many (what???) are using Android and iPhone respectively? How many people? I don’t think even Oticon would have that kind of statistics to share (unless they did a survey of some sort), let alone anybody on this forum to even guess.

I think it is very interesting to know whether those who have problems with audio cuts in Connect Clip are using iPhone or Android.
I use Samsung S23, but are there any readers on the forum who have problems with ConnectClip and iPhone???
For me it’s about replacing my Samsung phone with an iPhone, or not.

As you write, the fault in More1 lies in its FW. But is it due to Oticon or Samsung? Will it be necessary to replace HW?
I understand that it is a difficult problem for Oticon, “we are working on it”, otherwise we would have seen patches several months ago.

The problem with the ConnectClip doesn’t have anything to do with the type of phone. The problem is between the ConnectClip and the HAs. In the case of iPhone, the HAs connect using MFi. In the case of newer Android phones, the HAs connect using ASHA.

1 Like