Oticon beta app

Anyone else get an invite to try the new beta app? It asks you to delete the original one app but i can’t figure out when to delete it during the process… .

The new Oticon App has been released now.

Take no notice of previous post.

Seems another Beta App has been released in the last 24 hours.

1 Like

I am using it and it is working well, and I like the Apple Watch app. It seems very stable compared to the first release of the companion app that didn’t have the Watch app either.

As best I can tell, the Watch app has two useful enhancements. First, volume is now increased with a tap versus turning the watch crown, which was difficult to do in increments of one. Also, Speech Booster can now be turned on in the watch

The biggest omission from the iPhone app (and watch app) in my opinion is not letting the user create custom programs like you can do with the Phonak app. If Oticon would add this feature I think they’d have a very stable and elegant solution for phone and watch and should be well positioned for Auracast’s arrival in the next few years (hopefully).

1 Like

I love the addition of being able to adjust both the TV adapter streaming volume and the surroundings, which is the hearing aids microphones volume. As someone that doesn’t have but the P1 program and loves the fact I don’t need or even want additional programs I am okay with what it is giving me.

1 Like

Ah, I haven’t had the TV on since I downloaded the code. Being able to control both stream and environmental volumes from the watch will be awesome. Thanks for posting that info.

I too live mainly in P1 (while trialing them) but I really did like copying a very specific program mode and then adjusting volume and frequencies in the Phonak That much being said, one reason the Lumitys do so well in user made programs is the equalizer board works very well in the Phonak app whereas the Oticon equalizer doesn’t work especially well to my hearing. So not sure how useful copying the Phonak user made programs would be on thePhonak app unless the Oticon equalizer was made far more noticeably effective.

Thanks.

A little disappointed. Was hoping when you are streaming TV adapter 3 and my Android S10+ is connected that the streaming audio would no longer stop when phone gets notified by an app.

It also is the same for iPhone it is just the natural of Bluetooth I guess.

I recommend avoiding it. I removed my existing app, installed the beta, and realized that all of my settings (P1-P4) were deleted. I played a bit with the app and it crashed almost immediately. I sent my feedback, deleted it, and reinstalled the original app. My settings are still gone. Going to my audiologist Tuesday to get them set up again. I’ll wait until a formal release comes out!

1 Like

The App can’t delete the Program settings, they are set in the HAs processor by Genie2 fitting software.
The App can only act as a remote control to display the programs, and let you change them.

To change your programs manually, just hold the rocker switch on either HA for 2 .sec. You’ll get confirmation tone for the program selected.
I stay with the ON App myself.

3 Likes

What was this beta program supposed to fix? It’s just as bad as original for Android

I was offered thé beta to test and accepted it. After less than two weeks a notice popped up saying the test was over and to reinstall the old Oticon app. Seems rather strange to me. What sort of testing is accomplished in such a short time.
Also when I was installed the beta app it seemed to indicate that testing was a slow process and I should expect to be using it for six months at least
Totally weird to me

1 Like

Yes, I had the same experience. Dropped back to older app. Maybe there were some issues with the beta? I personally found the beta solid.

1 Like

They may have pulled it because they found a bad bug that could be harmful or they may have found the bugs that needed to be fixed and pulled the beta to prevent us from having bad issues. I have been on both sides of beta testing and it can be a crapshoot

Is there a way to provide feedback to the Companion app developers? I am used to beta programs collecting user experience info, but can’t find anything about this beta.

So far my experience:

1. Better than released version in pairing with aids. Though, for me, still always “taking longer than usual” message and sometimes will only find one of two aids. I wonder if anyone pairs in the USUAL time?

2. Will intermittently drop connection to one of the aids (R), much more pronounced when TV adapter is streaming.

The actual aids continue to work and steam audio from TV, it is just the companion app that is loosing its state.

1. Moving between General program and TV stream program resets volume state.
    Volume state should be retentive!

All in all I am a bit surprised at the type of software bugs released in this beta, never mind the actual production release.

It is as if the app is being developed by some external consultant that has no background in SW development best practices, never mind empathy for the demographic of hearing aid users. With absence of SQA.

I expect better from Oticon as a company professionally, and better value for the money.

Anyone who knows how to provide beta feedback please advise or cut & paste my observations into your reports if you are a formal beta user.

Added note: unfortunately I cannot download ON app from Google store. Google says ON app is not compatible withe my phone (Pixel 6a). An arbitrary decision by Google, but I am stuck with it unless I find an ON apk at some safe site.

To my understanding it is being developed by a contract developer.

I have had the same experiences as you with respect to the Oticon app working with my iPhone.

I haven’t seen a portal to accept defect reports but will see if I can find one. As a former software product manager, I agree Oticon’s iPhone app development leaves much to e desired.

After fumbling around with the Android Companion beta app, I found that in the “More” (bottom right button), “Help & Support” one can contact support via email.

Please send them detailed bug descriptions, they need all the help we can provide.

Yes, in the about I saw a little label : “Made in Poland”, how about them pirogiis!