OSHA Approved Hearing Aids - Loud areas

Jim has given you some great ideas.

One thing I learned while working is not to complain but have answers and solutions available to problems. Try to look at things from both sides of the fence. That job is not there for you but you are there for the job. Getting along is best.
Good luck.

I spent 25 years in the petrochemical field around all sorts of bosses and noise for that matter. Many areas with 100-120 dB. Freak times many times higher when packings failed or RV’s lifted and we were expected to get out in this noise and fix things.

1 Like

Would maybe something like this work:
https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B003H4T0YS/
MOLDEX 6800 Wave-Band 2K

And then use remote mic for coworker you need to understand?

So, your aid on muted mic, these plugs over the ear canal (they are put from the front, not from the back, so they hang down your chin/neck, not at the back of your neck), remote mic for the coworker.

That way you’ll plug the opening in the mold, aids won’t pick up anything by themselves but will only stream from the mic.

This concrete model is rated with 27db, but maybe there’s similar stuff with your needed rating.
They put some pressure to ear canal opening/mold, but didn’t seem too much when I was using it. Granted, I was using it with S and P receivers in the canal and not more than 1-2h in a row, but your molds look like you don’t have receiver there, so that part won’t poke you so you might not even notice them.

I sent an email to OSHA asking what testing do they provide for audiologist to test for NRR, got no reply back as of yet.

In event if there is no reply, should I just send another email or send a mail? Or do I have other option to find out why OSHA do not provide any info of NRR testing to audiologists? If it’s not available, then why was it mentioned?

So I sent OSHA an email and got told each state regulate their own OSHA department. While my email was forwarded to TN OSHA, or TOSH, got a reply just basically referring to the regulation and nothing mentioned about any measurement to test hearing aids for NRR.

With that mentioned they didn’t say anything about opening up how or what. It seemed like they strictly believe that HA actually causes hearing damages regardless of restricted sound levels or something or do they not know that technology today can reduce that?

Where do I go from here?

Sent the email to TN OSHA and all I get back was ‘refer to manufacturer’s HA’.

Meanwhile check this out, why does this get approved and the HA get no attention? Seem a bit racist to me. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089VVNRF6
That is a headphone with bluetooth that have earplugs.

Now I did mentioned about setting up the HA that include these earplugs or the foam one as well!
Might as well include I just got a new HA to try things out - Resound Enzo Q5 and it also come with noise reduction option in the app.

So another day continue, why does OSHA not care about HA users?

As a newbie, I am very impressed with and grateful for this Forum. I don’t think there’s anything else on the Internet that comes close to the problem-solving power inherent in the knowledge base of this group.

[Proud to be a member!]

1 Like

Usually that refers to Audiologist and try to find a way to work around.

So for now I did asked Resound HA Manufacturer in the email about if they can find out what is their NRR is, their reply is no because HA are just amplified.

So HA Manufacturer only make HA to suit regular everyday wear but not for those in need of industrial work.

I brought up to an idea like the whole bluetooth situation with wearing the ear plugs and you can be in a channel via bluetooth to communicate with other instead of yelling across the road (like construction worker) to make it easier to a roadwork program. (Er However I just found out Yesterday as I went out on a walk on the sidewalk with a bunch of vehicles driving by, the sound is too loud and difficult even for filtering to communicate. I would use my old hearing aid for this situation because it was easier for me to handle. If we’re talking in the local spectrum of the area like a simple chat.)

Also, I did ask ADA but they just told me It’s an OSHA thing and to me it sounds like they will not do anything to interfere with OSHA or are afraid of OSHA like a lawsuit or something. Maybe someone else can send an email because I’m getting no response on my end of help I’d like to get the attention to push forward to have an OSHA approved HA.

Hello!!! It is me!!!

First thing….you have to be really assertive or the safety guys will run over you.

1 - hearing equipment is generally somewhat protective by the very fact that they can not output so much.

2 - a program can be implemented that will cut the total output even more.

3 - mold vents are contention points as they are avenues for loud sound to get in.

I worked at the mill until a year ago. Then I worked at another loud place for 9 months. Now I work in a quieter place.

You have a CI, so you will have to wear at least one ear plug.

There aren’t any great solutions. I could communicate better in the steel mill than at the 9 month place. This was due to the frequencies of the noise.

Yes the xpr7550e Motorola has Bluetooth. It must be enabled by the radio vendor. Then the resound phone clip will connect. Oddly. Phonak Miracle aids will NOT.

However, if your safety guy is a total Nazi, there is little to do…. Except maybe the active shooters headsets.

1 Like

The OP’s main problem, though, IIRC, is that he requires an officially rated solution and is fairly stringent in what he’s willing to go with. It would be interesting to hear the latest from him.

Yes. There are no officially blessed setups made with us in mind. So far, luckily for me, I have been able to work with the safety guys enough that they nervously support me. In my yearly tests, my hearing has remained the same.

If his safety guy insists on something all packaged up and ready to go, the OP is screwed.

2 Likes