OPN1 to More1 Observations

@Abarsanti: Thanks for posting your comments! FWIW, I don’t use the MoreSoundBooster very often, but it does work.

Earlier this spring, when i was barely 6 weeks into my BrainHearing retraining, my wife asked me to step onto the porch and see whether I could hear the peepers. I couldn’t, unless I turned the volume of my DSL program up +3 clicks, in its usual omnidirectional mode.

However, when I experimented and turned my volume back to 0, and activated MSB, I was able to distinctly hear the peepers in a very narrow (5-10 degrees of arc) "window ".

The frogs seemed to reside in the soggy ditch behind my neighbour’s shed, which is - logically - where one would expect them to be. I was able to replicate this finding on 4 other occasions.

So, MoreSoundBooster seems to work as an extremely tightly-focused beam former (which has limited practical applications for me).

You might want to try out a similar experiment for yourself. I am interested in reading your findings.

1 Like

Continue to love these aids. A lot of what I’m experiencing is subtle I believe. For example, I’m just less fatigued after an outdoor bbq on Sunday because I wasn’t straining to hear. At the Chinese restaurant picking up dinner last night, I heard the masked employee behind plexiglass clearly call my name to let me know the order was ready. Again I’m finding I’m wearing these much longer than past aids because of how I simply forget about them being in my ears. Will need to test out the MoreSoundBooster more as @SpudGunner mentions.

1 Like

I got a pair of Oticon More 1 today, and I already love them. I didn’t know they were turned on at first until the fitter began talking. (I was used to my Starkey Halo 3 from 2014.) My wife and I had assumed that nothing at Cosco was comparable, but she returned from her own hearing visit at Costco today and said that the fitter there said that the Philips Hearlink 9030 was exactly the same as the Oticon More 1. (Kind of a Mercury Sable / Ford Taurus thing.) You’ve tried them both, and you seem to like the More 1 better than the Hearlink 9030. How would you summarize the difference? I have high-end hearing loss, my wife has mid-range loss, and you have low-end loss, so I suppose all of our experiences would be different.

I’m weighing taking these back for the cheaper HearLink 9030, but I got a good price on the More 1 and have experienced the positive things you say here about hearing people clearly. I mean, so far, it’s like having my hearing back. So I’d love to hear how you compare the two if you have a chance.

Thank you,
Peter

1 Like

@peter3: A search will turn up plenty of information.

viz. Going from Oticon OPNS1 to More1 aids

1 Like

SpudGunner, thanks. I’m pretty bad at searching for hearing aid information, I think. I found much about the Oticon More 1 but very little about the Philips Hearlink 9030. I’ve made a table comparing the two, but the Hearlink 9030 column is almost empty.

Please use the Search function and just type in Phillips 9030.

1 Like

Okay, I will. I’m new here, and I guess my post was premature. Should I delete it?

The fitter at Costco is either ignorant or lying.

That’s not to say that the HearLink 9030 is not a fine hearing aid in its own right.

1 Like

Just for giving you misinformation that the Philips Hearlink 9030 is “exactly” the same as the Oticon More 1, I think you should not choose that Costco fitter to give you support. If they’re ignorant enough to make such an outrageous claim without knowing all the facts, I wonder how good they really are at their job?

That is not to say that you shouldn’t try the HearLink 9030 if you’re curious. If you have plenty of time before you have to return your More 1, and you can get your HearLink 9030 from Costco right away so you can do parallel A/B comparison live, I think it’d be a good idea. Who knows, maybe you’ll decide that for the money, the HearLink 9030 is good enough for you.

Just don’t use that Costco fitter who told you that they’re exactly the same if you can help it. Find a different Costco fitter because you may have a better chance at a more competent fitter who may know better. But Costco fitters do seem to have a tendency to tell people that their HAs are the same as the name brands. I wonder if they’re trained by corporate to say those untrue things. Even the KS10 is not exactly the same as the Phonak Paradise, although they may be close. But the core of the HearLink 9030 and the core of the More are not the same at all even though they’re similar on the peripheral features and look and feel and accessories.

This thread Philips HearLink 9030 observations (new Costco aid by Demant) contains information outlining the differences between the HearLink 9030 and the More. There are other threads as well.

2 Likes

SpudGunner, billgem, and Volusiano, Thank you so much for your help, suggestions, and links. The Philips HearLink 9030 observations thread was particularly helpful. Denouement: the HearLink seems to be great, but the Oticon More 1 has more of what I need, so I’m sticking with them. (These posts also helped my wife decide to switch fitters to my non-Costco gentleman.)

This forum is such a breath of fresh air in what seems to be a medical field operating with an overly strong sales model.

1 Like

I’m just an old codger who can’t hear. I’m nowhere even remotely close to the level of technical understanding possessed by @Volusiano, however, I have read the white paper links that have been posted for both devices. I wear Oticon More1 hearing aids.

Even I can clearly understand that More1s OpenSound philosophy is very different from Phillips approach to HA sound processing. So - it’s difficult to understand why the Costco fitter would be less well informed than me.

The fact that Oticon More1s are more different from Phillips 9030 than they are similar doesn’t make one instrument intrinsically superior (or inferior) to the other. They’re just different. You need to try both to determine which of them suits your hearing loss better.

But I’d give the fitter that fed you the original line of BS💩 a W-I-D-E berth.

2 Likes

is comfort cutting speech in noisy place like party crowded office with multiple speaker or road side station?

You’ll find lots more observations in this thread, too.

Going from Oticon OPNS1 to More1 aids

you may try sound booster comfort rather than balanced which will be helpful totalk one to one in more complex environment
but apply this setting to alternate program first…

1 Like

Sorry for posting in shuch an old topic but is REM Autofit a poor fit compared to an external REM?

My very limited understanding of the REM Autofit feature inside of Genie 2 is designed to work with an approved/compatible third party REM equipment to automatically match the prescribed gain curve to the target curve without needing the HCP to manually intervene and do this matching.

So I wouldn’t call it a poor fit compared to an external REM. With an external REM, the HCP usually matches your gain curve to a standard fitting rationale such as NAL-NL2, and the adjustment has to be made manually. The external REM equipment doesn’t have the proprietary knowledge of the VAC+ fitting rationale, so matching to a standard fitting rationale like NAL-NL2 is the only logical thing to do.

With a REM equipment setup that’s compatible with the Genie 2 REM AutoFit, the HCP doesn’t have to make any manual adjustment to match the target curve, Genie 2’s REM AutoFit will do all this adjustment to target curve automatically for you. Furthermore, I’m not 100% sure of this, but I’m inclined to think that REM AutoFit will automatically adjust to match the target curve that is based on the Oticon proprietary VAC+ fitting rationale, instead of a standard fitting rationale like NAL-NL2. In this sense, if what I surmise here is true, then using REM AutoFit would be not only more fast and efficient, but also more accurate (in terms of VAC+ compatibility) because if you’re adjusting a VAC+ based gain curve, you’d want to match it to a VAC+ based target curve, instead of trying to match it to an NAL-NL2 based target curve.

Having said that, I recall having a conversation with @Neville, where he explained to me that Oticon actually prefers HCPs to do REM on their aids against a standard fitting rationale. I don’t know why, and like I said, I don’t really know much about REM anyway. But @Neville is copied here, so he can chime in and correct anything I said above that’s not true.

2 Likes

Yes, REM autofit uses an external REM device to measure and adjust the fit. So long as the clinician has appropriately troubleshooted things that can go wrong with the physical acoustic coupling that the software is unable to identify, the autofit should be good.

I don’t have a 100% answer off the top of my head as to whether you can verify to VAC+ and on which machines, or whether they just use NL2 for VAC verification with autofit. If have to look it up again.

1 Like

@Neville and @Volusiano , I’ve had REM at the VA several times.
My very unprofessional observation has been:
Set up with VAC+.
Adjust REM “Manually” using standard noise & Blabber.
I’ve not seen a change to NAL-NL2 at any point or AutoFit.
Don’t take this as gospel!

What are you looking for? The NL2 targets are set in the REM machine, not necessarily the software.

LOL, nothing, just making a remark thinking (i guess erroneously) the fitting rationale would have to be manually changed.
Nevermind…