Non-Wireless Hearing Aid Programming

For various reasons I wanted to not use a wireless HA(Bluetooth) and explained this to my audiologist. He prescribed the Rexton M-Core IX 80 CIC. To program them he puts a loop/device around my neck which lets him control and program them. When I got home with them I used my RF meter next to them and it is showing they are broadcasting a signal. Does anyone know what this communication connection is about? In searching the internet all I could find is discussion about a t-coil. But a t-coil seems to be used for broadcasting to people with a t-coil equipped HA.

I don’t know about those specific aids but most aids communicate with each other. I’m guessing these do too as they claim “binaural signal processing.”

Device around your neck is ConnexxAir. It is wireless, at least for Programming the settings.
ETA: No wireless streaming, no Telecoil.

Here’s the Specs;

I think it’s e2e wireless. Here’s a Link to → A History of e2e Wireless Technology

But without all the other Bluetooth connections (no streaming).

Thanks for the link too. I specifically ask the audiologist if it had e2e and he said no. He said the hearing aids are not talking to each other. But they are broadcasting something. Or he is not giving me the full story.

I found a copy of the user manual on-line. On page 23 of the version I found, the M-Core iX-CIC is listed as having wireless functionality, specifically a NFMI Module 2. The same doc also gives the FCCID and so on. NFMI is near-field magnetic interface, typically a short range low, frequency (MHz range) interface. My original Siemens Pure aids used that for synchronization (volume and program).

I can’t say for sure it’s e2e wireless? But if the hearing aids are not wireless, then how was he able to program the hearing aids wirelessly using ConnexxAir instead of using a wired hearing aid programming device such as a Hi Pro with cables?

Yes, that is now the question. biggar found what technology is being used I think in the User’s Manual, and sure enough my hard copy that came in the box has the NFMI Module 2 listed. When programming the Rexton, he put the loop around my neck and it was not making a good connection. So, he then looped the wires over my ears instead of my neck and they connected. So, they are not truly non-wireless as they are using the Mhz range as biggar stated. biggar also stated his original Siemens aids used this for volume and program. My next appointment with the audiologist will be to see if this can be disabled, since I am not using it for anything. Or, allow it to provide some kind of volume or program adjustment. Meaning maybe the HA can do e2e if it is programmed to do so. I found that pacemakers use NFMI so that they can be programmed and tested.

1 Like

A google search said that e2e wireless uses NFMI technology.

I doubt that NFMI can be disabled. It’s needed to program changes to your hearing settings. Maybe for “binaural signal processing” also.

I learned something new. I didn’t know that ConnexxAir uses NFMI.

2 Likes

@user305: May I ask what is your concern prompting this search for “wireless” HAs?

1 Like

Not to be a fear monger, but my extended family has had a young family member die of a brain tumor. It was a very sad situation and that part of my family is very concerned with minimizing any wireless exposure. They feel that Bluetooth such as AirPods and such should be used minimal during the day. Thus, using a HA with Bluetooth(all day) when it cannot be disabled was a guiding factor in looking for a non-wireless HA. And I actually tried a pair of high end Bluetooth hearing aids and found the features they provided not very helpful or beneficial to my hearing.

@user305: I am sorry for your loss. So - I take it that this poor, deceased young member was a heavy Bluetooth user, then?

[You may find this scientific paper of interest:

http://pe.org.pl/articles/2013/2b/7.pdf]

Basically this article describes how her cancer doctors responded to the question of why.

And since I am a child of the 50’s and saw how cigarette smoking was said to be safe all the way till the 80’s, I would like to proceed with caution in this respect.

1 Like

@user305: I understand completely about the cigarettes and our vintage. I just buried a dear friend 3 weeks ago from cigarette-induced lung cancer.

However, I think there’s much greater transparency in information now, than there was then.

here’s an idea, I’m not kidding you, but I don’t belong to that group that worries about harm. Anyway, I’ll give you an idea, put a piece of aluminum foil between the head and the hearing aids. The aluminum foil will deflect the wireless signal from the head and direct it outwards.

@markoo355: But this will interrupt e2e, will it not?

1 Like

Would not work for my current HAs as they are Completely in the Canal(CIC) aids. Might be an option for BTE/RIC folks but this might block the synchronization of the HA for volume/program settings. There is a lot of discussion of people who want to block their cell phone with a piece of aluminum foil on the back side and this has been shown to cause the phone to increase the power to try and stay connected to the cell tower. So, they say the best option is to keep the screen towards your body when in your pocket or whatever.

When I tried a pair of BTE HAs, I was able to show with my RF meter that as I moved the phone away from the HAs(Bluetooth connected) the power was increased from the HA trying to keep the connection. And then when my phone was in another room, the HAs went into full power tying to find the phone in a continuous mode. And there was no way to disable this Bluetooth connection from the HA to the phone. I understood that the two HAs in this case were connected(to keep in sync), and in this mode the power level was much lower. But, again if you left your phone for any reason(mowing grass, washing the car, etc.) the HAs went into a high Bluetooth power mode.

I am sure your cell phone emits more RF than your hearing aids and you hold the phone up to your ear.

1 Like

No I always use the speaker. I found that putting the phone next to my HAs a poor option for listening. In reality, I get few phone calls during the week as texting is my mode of communication. And in the house the iPhone uses Wifi for phone audio and Facetime.

Can we just leave this issue alone? OP has respectfully answered the question. It’s fine if you disagree, but I don’t see any need to debate the issue. Nobody’s minds will be changed and it’s likely to get insulting and shut down the thread.