New myPhonak app

A Phonic representative told me that the app will be updated to control the CROS “before the end of the year”

1 Like

I can connect my app with the hearing aids Then if I use my cellphone, the app disconnects

If i wish to use the app again, I must connect again the app to my hearing aids again. That’s with Paradise P90R’s and an iPhone SE.

DaveL

1 Like

The more I use it, after many explanations from users, the more I like. But I still say the step counter is nonsense but easy to ignore. I certainly appreciate the faster connection. About time. Glad you found the thread Brian.

1 Like

I am with you @hass5744, the more I use it, the more I like it, connects in about 2 or 3 seconds, I have learned over the years to totally ignore adverts in apps, they don’t even register in my brain anymore :rofl: :upside_down_face: :joy:

2 Likes

Once the App opens I get Connecting, after 5 seconds it changes to a different message, white on blue, Connecting this could take some time. 4 seconds later it connects.

Feedback from Phonak:
First the change is an Update and not a new Version therefore reversion to the old one is not possible.
Secondly there is an IPhone issue regarding Autosense:

"the App reverting back to Autosense when you had put it into a custom programme; the older version of the app would not ’stick’ in the designated programme, it used to jump back into Autosense. Phonak have fixed this for the most part, however they are having some problems with iPhones - if you have the ’sounds and haptics’ switched on in your settings (that is what makes the sounds in your phone such as keyboard clicks, this setting is also responsible for the ‘lock sound’ you hear when you turn your phone off) they have found that when an iPhone makes the ‘lock; sound, it puts the iPhone into streaming mode and it reverts back to Autosense - so if this is happening they suggest turning off ’sounds and haptics’ in your settings. This way you can ensure that your hearing aids ’stick’ in the programme you have chosen. "

Personally I find NOT automatically reverting to Autosense a bigger issue that sticking with a setting.

2 Likes

So this morning I get in my car and turn on my P90 aids. By the time I drove 40 miles to work the app had clocked 480 steps. :rofl::joy::rofl:

3 Likes

Not reverting to autosense is a whole different problem. But it should stick to a setting like speech in car until I don’t need that setting anymore. But I have an Android phone. But this is one of the many reasons the app gets low reviews on the Google store

2 Likes

still has bugs as previous one

1 Like

Well most apps have bugs but that’s a major one. Autosense is what makes the hearing aids what they are

1 Like

I like the fast connection with the new app but it has one big bug that started after began using the new app. I’ve noticed that whenever I need to connect to zoom or stream via bluetooth a movie from my sony dvd player. I have to disconnect my ha by opening and closing the ha then I connect to the device I want to connect to. Anyone else experiencing this kind of problem? I know you can only connect two devices at a time but I did not have this problem before the new app. And yes the new app has a lot of fluff. Phonak is a business and they want make $$$ with all the fluff.

1 Like

Are you saying Phonak isn’t satisfied with the money we paid for the aids, they also want to collect and monetize info from our use of the app?

God no. I haven’t had that happen. That might make me uninstall the app and give up

I have had the new app for a few days now The connection time has certainly improved. It’s a completely different interface, takes a bit of getting used to. I have the paradise P90RT (not the active) and it gives you stats on how long you’ve worn your HAs, what sound environments you’ve been in, and steps. The steps feature doesn’t quite match up with my smart watch but it’s close enough.
I was surprised that the steps feature would work with these, but then I remembered that the rechargeable aids have “Motion sensor hearing” feature which must use an accelerometer,so the steps counter probably taps into that.
Anyway I’m impressed with it so far.

How long you’ve used the aids is a feature thats always been available. The step thing I don’t get at all. But the update to me seems like a step in the right direction

1 Like

My first reaction when i got the revised APP was 100% negative.

Now I’m more positive

I still feel the most important part of my hearing aids is the person who sets them up.

(When I got my last set of hearing aids with a compilot II I got an app. In no time Phonak had withdrawn it. I don’t know why. I did not like that at all.)

1 Like

In fact, the app doesn’t initialize in the muted mode - the mute icon (slash across the speaker icon) is what you tap to mute it. The icon then changes to an unslashed speaker, indicating that you tap it to unmute it.
And I can verify that it certainly works (for me!) to mute and unmute the aids if used in this way.

1 Like

Can anyone provide an IPA file for the older version on iPhone?
I saw a method of “restoring” an older release that might work if I can find the file.
…I was able to put the older version on Android, after finding the apk file.
I really hate the new app - the only good thing was the faster connection.

I considered that could be how it worked. Unfortunately, I see icons as indicators of the current state of a device. That’s how most electronic devices and display panels are set up. Bad design decision IMO.

@castaway I totally agree. YouTube has to be the gold standard here and the Phonak app has got it back-to-front.
And IIRC, the previous incarnation of the Phonak app’s mute button worked in the standard way.