New Firmware Update for ReSound Quattro's

The plot thickens … One interesting possibility is that my Quattros were initially paired with an Android phone and never unpaired from that phone although now also paired with an iPhone 6S running iOS 14.5.1 and I think with my most recent new left Quattro replacement, the audi simply overwrote the new left HA with the settings for the old (and probably so on back through previous left HA replacements). So if there is something of a fork in the road (pardon the software pun as “fork” is literally used to describe divergent software paths from a common ancestor), I wonder if it could have anything to do with Android vs. iOS? Perhaps if there is further discussion on this the 1.18/1.20 ReSound firmware folks could mention mobile phone OS and the same for the 1.0.45 firmware folks.

@narenkona, what does it say if you tap on the “More info >” option shown?

BTW, since “upgrading” my iOS version to 14.5.1, the behavior of my iPhone Smart 3D app and BT connectivity in general has gotten a bit flakier than the rock solidness that I used to have. I’m not sure ReSound and Apple are always on the same page when it comes to iOS updates - and that certainly could be said for Samsung and ReSound on Android updates … Hopefully some time this fall, a brand new iPhone and a new iOS version will bring better …

If they’re placing much of their app as a shell over MFI, then they need to check the app against the update and see what changes, if any, the app requires for compatibility. I know Android has their own ASHA (is that right? Or some acronym they went with) but I don’t know how much HA apps rely on that for functionality, rather than generic BT and build everything else themselves. I’m not surprised a new OS update might mess with a previous app if it impacts integration with their own app code.

I’ll admit I’m triple click on my iPhone to bring up controls for quick changes rather than open the Starkey Thrive app that’s on there. For memory selection and volume it’s fine. Obviously any programming tweaks places me back into opening Thrive.

Even a new iOS version won’t change the problems of OS updates that impact things like MFI should Apple tweak it. I’ve got no idea in the Android world how that goes. One thing I’ll say about 14 is it’s pretty stable and quick to update. With 13 I was always having to force an update to complete.

Yes my experience as well with iOS 14.5 & 14.5.1 (iPhone 12) and my Costco ReSound Forte 8 (Linx 3d), the model before the Quattro. Usually when I insert them and power on, one aid connects and the other shows not connected in the Settings / Accessibility section and the Smart 3d app. No matter how many attempts, the other will not connect but does show connected on its own some time later. Occasionally if I want to change from All Around to Outdoor on my Watch 6, one aid will not switch when the other does. Apple Support does not have a solution, I don’t even contact ReSound any more since all I get are canned generic responses.

Under settings/accessibility/hearing devices have you tried turning off the “adjust independently” option. It may be by forcing them together, preset changes will occur on both aids, but you will lose separate volume control for each aid. It might be worth an experiment to see if that changes the connection and preset selection options fro your phone and/or watch.

@jim_lewis, It could very well be some differences due to being paired to Android vs IOS. The IOS firmware would require MFI logic etc. (Although I’m guessing you are connecting to your current iPhone via MFI and not bluetooth?)…

All that is under the More Info option from my screenshot above is:

The new hearing aid software provides important updates for your hearing aids. Please install at your earliest convenience. Packages are generally 0.2-0.5 MB in size. 5/13/2021

I’m also on 14.5.1, and I have not noticed a difference in the connectivity between the phone (iPhone 7+) and Quattro’s. PS: I haven’t yet updated the HA firmware (I’m a little gun shy on doing that on these). But probably will in the next week or so.

@teejayess, you could also try unpairing them from IOS settings, in the Accessibility \ Hearing Devices \ your MFI device, and then ‘forget this device’. Then repair.

@eskie227 I have done that many times. either way makes no difference. Thank you for the suggestion.

@narenkona. I have done that four times, no change. Thank you for the suggestion.

I’m troubleshooting geek, so I try everything, logical or not. Apple has admitted this is probably a bug, but they have not identified what is going on yet. I also have an appointment with my Costco fitter to see if there is an issue with the Forte 8 aids at 2.5 years old, on a 3 year warranty. We will see.

1 Like

In a previous post pokeutopia says that he has Quattro v7 UP receivers. I see from a previous post of yours, you have Quattro 9’s and from your audiogram, perhaps you have UP receivers, too. Another thought would be are your device BTE or RIC (don’t even know if Quattro’s come in BTE - air tube - form factor).

I got a generic reply from ReSound Consumer Help that basically sounds like the rep really has no idea what might be going on but the rep says that there can be differences between USA and UK (although that’s not what’s going on here per David Hendon’s report from over the pond) and the rep also ventures that maybe it could have something to do with the age of the Smart 3D app (I have the latest for both iOS and Android so I doubt that has anything to do with it-one would think a OTA firmware update would advertise the need for a new version of the smartphone app, etc.). Another thought would be that the firmware difference has something to do with a CI but neither you nor pokeutopia mention such that I could tell from skimming over your posts. Since my Quattro’s are workin pretty well for me, I ain’t gonna worry about no firmware updates! :slightly_smiling_face:

I think it’s very unlikely that the hearing aid firmware would change depending on whether the user used iPhone or Android.

More likely would be that it would change depending on the specification, so a 9 level aid could be different to a 7 level aid and so on. Also the firmware might be different for rechargeable hearing aids from hearing aids with replaceable zinc/air cells.

So mine are RE961-DRWC rechargeable LINX Quattros working with an iPhone 12 Pro and they still show 1.0.45 as the latest version in the Resound 3D app (but I also have a pair of non-rechargeable ones and they also say 1.0.45 is the latest firmware).

Right, I have Quattro 9. RE961-DRWC. Left receiver is an LP, and right is MP. And they are RICs. I found the sw version for the smart 3D app. It’s under more / legal information / manufacturer And it’s version 1.11.2. I’d doubt. That the HA version change of such a significance in ours would be related to the app though. FYI, my prior firmware update was done at audiologist with the smartfit sw.

David, so it looks like my HAs are the same as your 9s. So the mystery continues

The app version is nothing to do with the firmware version of the hearing aid. 1.11.2 is the latest version of the IOS version of the app.

To see the firmware version of the hearing aids you need to go to My Resound, then Resound Assist, then Hearing Aid Software Updates. If I do that I get: “Current software version is 1.0.45” and “Your hearing aid software is up to date”.

If you aren’t set up for Resound Assist then this won’t work for you of course.

1 Like

Last night I had an unpleasant streaming experience I’ve never had with Android. Perhaps I could blame it on using an almost 6 years old iPhone 6S with iOS 14.5.1. But here’s what happened.

We have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro front doorbell. While I was out walking last night, running the Apple Workout program on my Apple Watch and streaming a podcast to my HA’s controlled by my watch, something like a moth set off the front doorbell activity alert. A notification flashed to my phone and watch. The podcast streaming went dead and my phone went into a boot loop. I couldn’t stop it (didn’t try that hard since I thought it was going to cure itself) and suddenly the phone was completely dead. Went home, tried to shut it down, power it on. Even when plugged into AC power when the full screen battery widget came on, it showed the phone battery completely dead - but after several minutes, 36% battery charge.

I think somehow the Ring notification that interrupted other iPhone functionality loosened an incredible power drain, the processor couldn’t get an adequate RATE of power supply of the battery, and hence, KRASH!#&%!, even though the battery, as shown by the charging/discharging diagram below, still had juice.

Hope if it’s an iOS 14.5.1 problem and not an aging iPhone problem (Battery Health shows 99% battery capacity remaining as Apple has relatively recently replaced the phone battery) that Apple fixes such problems in iOS 15 (or else that a new iPhone for me does the trick).

Never had this sort of experience with a Samsung Android phone nor with my iPhone 6S with any number of similar interruptions by notifications while streaming while using earlier versions of iOS 14.x

2 Likes

Huge tangent. Your “episode” reminds me of medication interactions. We really don’t understand the potential interactions when people are taking multiple medications. I also don’t think we understand the permutations of possible glitches when we have multiple devices interacting together.

4 Likes

New version of ReSound Smart 3D app. On Android, I was offered a new version of the app and it updated to v.1.13.

I wasn’t offered an iOS update but I searched for the Smart 3D app in the App Store and opened the app page. As I was looking at the 3D app, the OPEN button, which is what you see if you have no update available, changed to an UPDATE button. I tapped the button and got the circle going around the square animation indicating a download and install. After the install, the 3D app launch, the HA connection to my phone BT and switching Smart 3D programs was all a lot faster. Don’t remember much of a change in comparison for the Android version of the 3D app. The update rationale given on the app screen was something like “Improves connectivity and stability.”

After checking the Android version (1.13), I decided the easiest way to find the iOS version was to go to my list of recently updated/installed apps in the App Store. Strangely enough, the ReSound Smart 3D app does not show up in the list of recently installed apps in the Apple App Store but it does for the Google Play Store on my Android phone.

Perhaps an explanation is that there was a real update for Android but my iOS version of the Smart 3D app was just corrupted by the streaming iPhone crash that I had two days ago and described in the post above I made on 5/19. (and I had another similar crash tonight when I tried to upload the workout data on my Apple Watch to my iPhone). So maybe one of my iOS system crashes corrupted my Smart 3D app and the iOS “update” was somehow just done to repair a corrupted app? The iOS app version is also v1.13, too, same as for Android.

When I check for a Quattro firmware update in iOS, I’m still told that I have the latest and greatest firmware with version 1.0.45. Funny, I am offered no firmware update check in the Android version of the Smart 3D app, even after repairing my HA’s with my Android phone. The last time I was fitted by my audi, she paired them with my iPhone so maybe the dichotomy on being able to check for firmware updates between iOS and Android has something to do with what phone is involved in a fitting session (or maybe it shouldn’t make any difference?).

Jim, Just to clear up the iOS version questions. I just got notice of the Smart 3D app this morning, to version 1.13.0. Checking my phone version it is 1.11.2. The Smart 3D app is one I am very hesitant to update because of so many connectivity issues over the last couple of years. Admittedly, some of those are iOS update issues as well. I tend to wait and research others experiences before I update either one.

I really doubt that it’s anything to do with the phone involved in a fitting session. There may not be any phone involved at all.

More likely is that the firmware check works in IOS but doesn’t currently work in Android, or in Android on that particular phone.

Used to have the firmware update check option in Android. Could be that showing that option is just screwed up in the current Android version of the Smart 3D app. OTH, my Android phone has no SIM card in it - I wonder if that could be some silly “security” check by ReSound that a real identifiable HA user is asking for the latest firmware. OTH, presumably the 3D app transmits all sorts of good stuff back to the mother ship on the HA identity, etc., and has been all along according to the data sharing agreement that one assents to.

@teejayess. Maybe on a newer iPhone the update is not going to make that much difference in speed but 3D app v1.13 is a helluva lot snappier on my old iPhone 6S. I don’t know about reverting to previous app versions in iOS but with a Samsung Android phone when I’ve gotten an app update that I didn’t like or want, I’ve simply deleted it and reinstalled the previous version of the app from my Samsung Cloud backup. For my own edyookation, can one do the same for iOS??? - I seem to recall in my wife getting a new iPhone, that one backs up the old one to iCloud, then update the new iPhone from iCloud. Does anything like that work with iOS to restore old app versions or can one just find an old app version in the iOS App Store and restore with that? If that were so, perhaps you could have a “no risk” trial ( :rofl: !) of the new Smart 3D iOS version. You might find it really worth it to go with the new version.

No if you restore an iPhone with an old iCloud backup you still get the latest version of the apps because the backup only identifies the apps and stores their data, so the iPhone downloads them all afresh. Reverting to an old version of an app is highly deprecated by Apple so they make it more or less impossible to do. By more or less impossible, I mean that in practice it’s impossible although I’m sure an ultimate geek with the right backup (not iCloud) could do it.

1 Like

You all probably remember this quote from Yogi Berra. “If you come to a fork in the road, take it.”