New Firmware Update for ReSound Quattro's

Just moving the HA about on my ear. I’ve also wondered since it’s always been the left HA that goes south whether there is something about the way the HA wire plugs into the body that doesn’t fit that’s stressing out an internal HA body component, etc. I don’t want to disassemble or otherwise mess with my HA’s in any way that might affect the warranty (still good for another 14 months). Unfortunately, I’m not sure my audi wants to dive deep into what’s going on. She’s a very efficient, business-minded lady. “HA broken. We replace it. Good to go … Done!” But I hate things that keep happening and one doesn’t no why so I may want to try her patience! :slightly_smiling_face:

A good friend bought the Costco Preza aids about 4-5 months ago. He loves the aids but 3 receivers have failed in that time. Your comment about just moving the aid around on your ear could be a receiver wire.
Or a button if you are touching that.

Streaming works great. It’s only the microphone input that’s been affected in all three left HA’s that went south. The buttons on the Quattro’s require a very firm push to activate and I don’t believe that I’m touching the single button on the affected HA. During the 20 months that I’ve owned the Quattro’s ReSound’s various firmware and Smart 3D app updates where ReSound very forthrightly acknowledges this firmware or that app update fixes a few very basic BT or battery problems makes me thing that they don’t have all issues firmly under control but perhaps that’s par for the course with all HA brands, i.e., “Welcome to the world of HA’s, Jim!” Perhaps considering the world of smartphones and computers, I’m just being terribly unfair to HA OEM’s.

1 Like

Yes! That’s the fun part of the forum–hearing about all the results of experiments. Tech is definitely a work in progress!

Jim - do you know if Resound Enzo Q aids have a dominant (aid) side that connects first and then a “slave” aid that ties in when streaming or general use? My audiologist told me there was no such connection (no dominant aid) with Enzo Q.

But I thought most hearing aids had the option of picking the left side or the right side as the (alpha) aid and the other as the so called “slave”. Just curious if the Enzo Q works differently then say the Resound Quattro’s as far initial connection or streaming connection.

Sorry, I don’t know about the Enzo’s. Looks like when I turn in my defective left HA to my audi on July 1st, because of COVID-19, I will just be dropping it off at the front desk and not having any extensive conversation with her about what might be going on with my Quattro’s. The receptionist suggested that since fiddling with the HA briefly restores high-frequency response that the problem sound like a loose, defective HA connection within the HA body. She says that they’ve had a number of failures of various HA’s where when you gently squeeze the casing, the HA works, when you let up, the HA doesn’t work, etc.

Two further thoughts added. Since it’s always the left that fails (3x), I wonder, 1) whether there’s anything about the way the left receiver wire is clipped into the body that’s causing internal stress, or, 2) since the HA bodies seem to get compressed a bit or at least will get some pressure when being inserted into the charger case, I’m wondering if the way my left HA’s are interacting with the charger bay that they’re inserted into is somehow the cause of the problem I’ve had with three left rechargeable Quattro’s…

You might try wrapping one of those little wire wraps around it, like the kind that come on a loaf of bread.
Or even a tie wrap.
Neither should affect warranty.

That reminds me of a joke from the Rodney Dangerfield or Jack Benny era:

Patient: “Doc, it hurts whenever I do this…”

Doctor: “Well, the answer is very simple. Stop doing that and it won’t hurt anymore…”

Since I’ve been doing all the recommended maintenance stuff for the right HA and it keeps working great, I don’t particularly feel like venturing into “Keeping the Elephants Away” mode for future left HA’s in hopes that some particular absolution will protect me from further misadventure. I’d rather play “musical hearing aids” in the future and stop with a brand for which both HA bodies survive routine wear and handling for a number of years. The tech industry can make some very durable laptops, tablets, phones, and smart watches. All these devices have exposed speakers and microphones. I’ve accidentally dropped Samsung phones with very modest protective cases from waist level onto hard asphalt surfaces and I’ve never had a Samsung phone have the screen crack or break in any way (have definitely not tried it, though, with my glass-bodied Note 8). Perhaps maybe a rugged HA device is not within the current BIG FIVE (or whatever it is) HA OEM field of view but it should be. I’ll definitely be looking at brand repair statistics in Consumer Reports surveys, etc., for any future HA purchases.

For reliability, according to this Best Hearing Aids in 2020 - Picking the Perfect Hearing Aid Oticon and Phonak are tops, with Resound a distant 3rd. It’s definitely skewed though by which brands the provider carried.

2 Likes

Just looked at the Consumer Reports Spring 2018 survey of 17,262 readers reporting on the reliability
of their prescription HA’s. All the major brands received a “Very Good” rating on average from the readers for reliability, including Costco Brand HA’s. None received an “Excellent” rating. There are other lesser known brands rated more poorly by respondents for reliability. Too bad CR doesn’t quantitate the actual response results.

1 Like

Although I’m a big fan of CR, their hearing aid survey isn’t particularly useful other than giving the impression that as far as product goes, there’s not a lot of meaningful difference.

3 Likes

Did anyone get the 1.0.45 update?

As per another current thread, I got 1.0.45 in my right aid yesterday but my left is still showing itself as up to date with 1.0.44 after apparently updating to that yesterday.

So just wondering if you notice any difference at all, can you remember what version they were on both on before you did the update, just curious.

No I haven’t noticed a difference, but I haven’t really had it long enough yet. I think my HAs were probably on 1.43.0, but I don’t actually know that for sure. The other one just updated to 1.45.0 too.

1 Like

I updated mine a couple days ago and it went without a hitch. My current software is 1.0.45 and I have not noticed anything different. It seems it takes a bit longer to connect to the phone.

Went to my audiologist today who performed a firmware update for me. It is showing up as the latest version being 1.20.10. Anyone know what changed?

Perhaps numbering varies according to world region. In the U.S. the Smart 3D app says that I’m on firmware version “1.0.45” for the Quattro’s and it’s the latest update. Other than Rasmus Braun kindly providing a ReSound notice (intended for HCPs?), I seem to remember as I remarked in a previous post in this thread that often with a firmware update or a Smart 3D app update (which often accompanies a firmware update, IIRC), ReSound will offer some general remark for the HA user like “improves stability and Bluetooth connectivity” but I don’t really remember many specific details ever (making ASHA go live for selected HA’s might be an exception).

1.0.45 is current for LINX Quattros here in UK.

So this is interesting. I’m currently at 1.18.1.0, with the smart 3D app showing 1.20.1.0 as an update same as pokeutopia. I’m in the US also.

Are there two different distinct firmware paths for the Quattros?