My Oticon Real experience

@prodigyplace: Okay, but how does this apply to the discussion of receivers in which you were engaged?

The talk about receivers interests me because of what I’m reading about Oticon’s purported introduction of new receivers, later this year…

1 Like

Evaluating new aids with receivers from several years prior makes little sense. At that time they did not mention having custom molds.

I believe your Audi is correct. Same receivers today. My Audiologist has no advance knowledge of new receivers coming out - I asked. I was also told Oticon has a “lock” producing the molds, because the Oticon receivers are embedded in the molds, therefore no one else can make them. And they are not fast.

My VA audiologist said that there would be receiver upgrades coming this year, that was back in January.

When I got a hearing aid and find that it is at or very close to targets immediately, I snap a photo and send it to my colleagues to impress them. That’s how common it is.

But I came here to say that 70 is very young compared to other individuals I’ve seen getting cochlear implants and having dramatic successes.

5 Likes

Oticon has used the same receivers since the OPN was introduced in 2016 or 2017.
I started with Oticon Agil Pro back in 2013, and had custom earmolds back then.
Only recently did they go to 3D sealed earmolds.

1 Like

Yeah, receivers are basically analog devices, so they probably can only make it as good as they got it already. In fact, I think @Um_bongo said that most HA mfgs use pretty much the same OEM receivers across the board (please correct me if I’m wrong @Um_bongo ).

Really the main improvement they can make on receivers nowadays is probably what Phonak did with their active vent receivers. I’m not sure if Phonak has a patent on it or not, but they probably do already. So I’m not sure what else the mfgs can do beside that. But whatever they do, it’s most likely going to be based on functionality, not on performance improvement.

1 Like

Well I’ve read just about everything concerning LE audio here and looked at data sheets and I’m bushwhacked.

Can anyone say that the Oticon Real has the hardware or can be upgraded via firmware to LE Audio or any other future universal bluetooth or radio standard.

I know you can make hands free calls with the proper phone

Thanks in advance

IIRC cat one time Oticon said the More could be upgraded. I expect the Real could be too. So much in RF now is software programmed.

@prodigyplace: Where did you see this, Bruce? (I can’t recall coming across that claim before … @Volusiano . How about you, MrV?)

I thought I saw it here.

EDIT Google turned up an article with thus quote. They may have been mistaken though.

At the time of this writing, Oticon is the only manufacturer with an LE Audio-equipped Bluetooth hearing aid on the market, the Oticon More.

I found the reference here that linked to a press release saying the More is ready for LE Audio.

In addition to superior audiological performance, Oticon More™ features state-of-the-art direct streaming from both iOS and compatible Android™ devices and is prepared for the next generation of connectivity based on the upcoming Bluetooth LE Audio standard.

2 Likes

We were discussing this in another topic. I found Oticon’s 2020 annual report and it’s mentioned in there. Someone else found it mentioned in a HearingTracker article. Are they really upgradeable or is it a major marketing stuffup? What happens when people start asking for their LE Audio upgrade?

There’s a recent HearingTracker interview with the head of Oticon USA. The interviewer didn’t ask about LE Audio. You’d really think they would have.

5 Likes

Since it is stated in a press release it would have to be a complete marketing stuff up requiring retraction or clarification IMO, along with offering refunds to those who bought based on that information.

@prodigyplace: @kevels55 and @cvkemp are only two, among a number of members (myself included) who find Oticon’s “press releases” and “white papers” to be vague, and full of “marketingisms” that dilute the credibility of the engineering material contained therein. It’s difficult to separate the wheat from the chaff, in terms of the real performance advances that the new devices achieve.

[What is a white paper, anyway (I know the formal definition, Bruce)? Is it like the “white paper” I use every day in the loo?]

3 Likes

Good luck with that refund. The information say’s Bluetooth LE not LE audio by the way

2 Likes

Maybe LE audio can be update later via firmware? provided hardware specs is met but not enable by early firmware?

The press release says the Bluetooth KE audio standard. I am getting the Real aids in a few weeks anyway.

When I first got hearing aids about 19 years ago connectivity wasn’t even dreamed of. I consider the connection as an extra and not the most important thing about my hearing aids. And to be honest with the way my More1 aids are working for me. I could survive without connectivity now that I am retired. But if I had good connectivity back when I was still working I wouldn’t have retired when I did even with me be 67. I enjoyed what I was doing and didn’t feel like I wanted to quit, but my job depended on me understanding technical terms over the phone and that was getting almost impossible for me.

3 Likes

I used to until 2020 and the proliferation of virtual meetings. Pretty much a requirement for me now.

1 Like

I retired in February of 2014. I had turned 67 the previous November which mean I had my full pension secured. Management offered me a great incentive to retire that went beyond my pension so I took it. I spent about 2 months in disbelief even then. But retirement has been good for me, I have been able to do a lot of the things I had put off because I was working. And I have found volunteering to be so rewarding and I have renewed my love for pencil art and reading.

7 Likes