My Oticon Real experience

I have been told that the new app will get the Watch support later this year. And I don’t understand why Apple hasn’t added MFI to the watch, most specifically the cellular version of the watch

1 Like

To clarify-The TV Adapter (and iPhone) is not a separate Program. Once you pair the TV Adapter to your Mores, the TV icon will show up for you when you want to connect to it. I say this, just for you to be sure your Audi made adjustments in the End Fitting. Ask you a copy of your settings before you end your fitting - email or printout. This is so very helpful for communicating what you like or do not like.
Hopefully, not to complicate this with the TV sound, but I have also made adjustments within my actual TV menu sound output. Settings like Zoom Voices and minimize background noise. And I stream (no cable box) thru an Apple TV where there is a quiet loud sounds setting - that would be the clapping. I still hear it , just not overwhelming.
I agree 1 hour is not a lot of time. Ask for 90 mins in the beginning and 1 week apart appts.
You are an experienced hearing aid wear-er. Oticon does sound different, with a different philosophy to hear everything, which most new people complain about. Your complaints are specific, and very fixable with adjustments.

1 Like

That is good news. I don’t mind waiting if they will add the watch support later.

Congratulations with your new Reals. I’ve been wearing Real 1 for almost two weeks now and it really is a great experience (came from Opn S 1).

I use them with my Apple Watch without any issues. The Watch app could use a bit of love from Oticon’s side though.

It’s only the Oticon On app that has Watch compatibility but you can have both the On and the Companion apps installed on your iPhone and then the On app will appear on your Watch and provide connectivity.

1 Like

Welcome.
It is coming to the Companion app.

I hope to get my Reals in a few weeks. I was supposed to get them last week but one was defective.

1 Like

Glad you are getting on well with them. I am getting my Reals next Tuesday. Looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Thank you for the information. I am glad to hear you are enjoying your Real 1. Welcome!

1 Like

That is great to hear. Currently have OPN S1 and waiting for the REAL to be released and ordered here.

Shaun

I picked up the Reals today to demo. Used the 105 super power receivers from the OPN1. I dont expect too much but my OPN’s are 6 years old and wanted newer tech. And I’m profoundly deaf so I didnt think and my HCP didnt think a ultrapower hearing or BTE aid would make a difference for the speech bubble area as my speech scores are dismal. No CI at my age I’m almost 70, I want discreet HA’s I read lips. No REM done as its best to use in Pediatrics.
First couple of hours i noticed the wind noise reduction and streaming music from the iPhone is excellent. I can increase the base if I desire using the companion app.

I’m going to demo the Lumity but I’ll need custom Molds made first. A extra expense but i want to try before i buy

Many experts here would disagree with that statement.

4 Likes

I know, what is the percentage of REM usage that actually finds a discrepancy in output in experienced adult HA users?

After my aids were set to my audiogram the REM was able to fine tune to increase word recognition. I have worn aids for 20 years.

1 Like

I would always opt for REM, if it is available, if not seek it out, from an A.uD who does do this… Most users whom have had REM done, will vouch for its advantages. NHS here in the UK, now use REM as standard practice, but that is a recent development! I am a 30 + years hearing aid user, with a severe/profound loss from the onset… I had REM done for the first time at the beginning of last year, it makes a big difference, for instance my kitchen clock, its been on that wall for years, and I never heard it tick, unless I was inches away, with my ear almost on the glass, I am sitting here writing this post, the clock is 10 feet away, and I can hear it as clear as day! REM should be standard practice for all ages, and all losses… Cheers Kev :grin:

2 Likes

I agree.

That was one initial reason I went to Costco 10 years ago. From my latest experience, I am not sure either they fully used REM correctly or I was recently fitted with a more sophisticated system. This last fitting was the first time I remember the system checking the positioning of the microphones or my head position relative to the speakers.

1 Like

Why not the receivers designed for the new aids? I suspect receiver enhancements have been made too, over the years.

I asked if there were any enhancements to the receivers since 2017. The audiologist said she didn’t think so. I don’t remember any announcements from Oticon or reading here if receivers were upgraded over the years. Perhaps some here would know.
But nevertheless these are trial aids and my custom molds would need remade around new receivers which would take weeks.
If I decide to buy then I’ll get new receivers installed inside new molds with a new set of Reals ordered. I need new molds anyway because this set is getting loose causing more feedback in my OPN1’s.
I have the smallest possible air hole in the molds. Using such power for my loss, tight fitting molds reduce feedback obviously but I’ve noticed a tremendous improvement almost none (you know…cupping your hand over your ears) with leaking feedback issues with these Reals which is great,

By the way I did ask about REM and best practices during my visit. I’ve only once had REM done 13 years ago while demoing a set of Phonaks which didn’t work out. I’ve used hearing aids since the mid 80’s.
During my hearing test she used various comfort sound measures when inputting into my ear canals that recorded man’s voice into my ears talking about rainbows and used that data in programming the Reals. If that makes sense.

1 Like

It would make sense to me there could have been incremental improvements to enhance the firmware improvements. I understand about the custom molds. I am waiting 3 weeks for my 100 power molds.

1 Like

Sadly the attention to detail that the audiologist gives a person and that person’s hearing aids determines the quality of the hearing aids. And to be honest the greater attention an audiologist gives to details can make an otherwise okay set of hearing aids seem wonderful while the lack of attention to detail can make what is a wonderful set of hearing aids seem like nothing but crap.

4 Likes

@prodigyplace : Sorry, Bruce, but I don’t catch your drift here. What, exactly, do you mean?

There were brand new features introduced in the More 2years ago. The Real is a chance to tweak them based on real world experiences. Many people say to never buy the first version of any new product. Wait for the next version after the bugs have been fixed.